Finally ready to take the plunge - comfort>price>sound - Recommendations?
Mar 22, 2005 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

clarkkent333

New Head-Fier
Ok boys and girls Im finally dipping my toe in the high end headphone market. My current set of Sennheiser HD497's have become extremely uncofortable as they put too much presure around my head and don't fit my ears very well. Im looking for a new set around $100 or less that have more comfort and big enough ear pads to fit me comfortably. Im going to need closed because its in an apartment and I don't want the sound to leak. Any suggestions on where I should start?

Mar 22, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 25
I'll start with the oft-recommended A500 (~$115 shipped from AudioCubes). I started the head-fi journey in earnest with these, and I recommend them wholeheartedly.

Since you need closed, there aren't a whole lot of other options available in this price range. There's the XD400, which is new to the U.S. market so there isn't much info on these, but the current owners here are very happy with it (do a search on 'XD400'). I own the XD200, the bottom end of that line, and it's quite a nice value.

Besides that, the only one I can think of is the HD280, but that is notorious for its vice grip.

Mar 22, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 25
Well I could go with open as long as the leakage isn't too bad. Can't be like the Grado's. I mostly care about comfort and staying within my budget. Under $100 would be preferable but if it comes to it I'd spring for the A500's.

Mar 22, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 25
Unless you plan to play the music loud enough to cause damage to your hearing I do not know that you necessarily need restrict your choices to closed cans.
While open headphones do leak sound, that is generally in the amount that someone in the same room may hear them.
I find it hard to imagine the sound being loud enough to be heard in another apartment. Of course if I am mistaken about this someone will be along shortly to correct me
biggrin.gif

I say this as I live in an apartment and have open cans.

Mar 22, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 25
You must live in a pretty small apartment for headphones to disturb your neighbors. BTW your 497's are open, so if those are working for you, you may as well stick with open for better comfort/sound. Also, 497s are supra-aural, meaning they rest directly on your ears. Make sure your next phones are circum-aural as that will be the biggest improvement in comfort.

Mar 22, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkkent333
Well I could go with open as long as the leakage isn't too bad. Can't be like the Grado's. I mostly care about comfort and staying within my budget. Under $100 would be preferable but if it comes to it I'd spring for the A500's.

Sorry bout grados are about one of the most leakest headphones. goto commondos website (i think its on a sticky on the front page) and use the wizard it will help you with you decision

Mar 23, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 25
Sorry I should have clarified this before. The reason I mentioned that Im in an apartment is because my roomate is a light sleeper and his bedroom shares the same wall as mine. Kind of inconvenient but its a great place at a great price. I know the 497's are open, and they're become too leaky at times (I like it loud) so that's why I said closed.

I remembered something about what Im looking for comfort wise. I originally had a pair of Sony V600's and, while they sucked at sound, they were very comfortable on my head. I could wear them for hours. They did get a bit sweaty, though its nothing I couldn't live with. Any pairs fit like the V600's but with better sound? Maybe the V6's

Mar 23, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 25
You might want to consider the HD 215's from Sennheiser. they're new though, and no one has posted opinions yet, but they are a closed can and can be found for under $100. If you get them, remember to come back and post your impressions!

Mar 23, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 25
I recommend waiting for Sony SA1000. The design is very comfortable. The resolution of these new headphones is amazing. I do not know how much they'll cost but it's around $100ish. I would swing the few extra bucks if it's a bit over. But if you're going to wait, you can also save more
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I recommend waiting for Sony SA1000. The design is very comfortable. The resolution of these new headphones is amazing. I do not know how much they'll cost but it's around $100ish. I would swing the few extra bucks if it's a bit over. But if you're going to wait, you can also save more
biggrin.gif

Yeah they are great cans for the price I paid (260 roughly). They are awsome for $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back