Finally pulled the trigger on a DAC1...
Sep 9, 2007 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KrooLism

500+ Head-Fier
BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

Should be arriving tomorrow.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

She won't be replacing the Grace, but instead be the official DAC of my home theatre setup.

(of course - I'll do a mini review of it with my current headphone inventory)

Current and past owners... please feel free to give me your insight as to what I can expect. Get me even more excited for Monday.
k1000smile.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 9
I just posted a comment to this effect: I think you will get much better performance using the XLR jacks rather than the RCA jacks. If you don't have a balanced system, then you might still get better results using a XLR adapter on your RCAs and going out of the RCA jacks (although I haven't tried this.)

Sep 9, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just posted a comment to this effect: I think you will get much better performance using the XLR jacks rather than the RCA jacks. If you don't have a balanced system, then you might still get better results using a XLR adapter on your RCAs and going out of the RCA jacks (although I haven't tried this.)

This is only partly true -- if you have a truly balanced system, i.e. XLR to XLR, then you might hear some improvements. The sonic and electrical characteristics of the RCA and XLR outputs of the DAC1 are identical except for gain (XLR is higher), according to Elias Gwinn at Benchmark. So there is really no advantage using an XLR to RCA adapter -- plus you have to deal with grounding problems that could arise going from a 3 pin to 2 pin connector (I believe you have to be sure that the adapter does not feed the third pin to ground) -- very bad!!

Sep 9, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 9
Congratulations!
I am sure the DAC1 will keep you happy for a long time.
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know. I saw your post just after I posted mine. I do have the adapters you're talking about and I'll try both.
I thought the output impedance was a lot lower on the XLR's than on the headphones jacks.

I'm about to head out to the post office.

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 9
Im about to pull the trigger on one my self, i just cant decide what color to get haha.

Sep 10, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

Should be arriving tomorrow.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

She won't be replacing the Grace, but instead be the official DAC of my home theatre setup.

(of course - I'll do a mini review of it with my current headphone inventory)

Current and past owners... please feel free to give me your insight as to what I can expect. Get me even more excited for Monday.
k1000smile.gif

Great budget balanced piece of gear..
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noobzor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im about to pull the trigger on one my self, i just cant decide what color to get haha.

Silver, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back