Finally; NEW Massive Attack album "Heligoland" coming in Feb:
Feb 14, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #18 of 30
I have read some fairly harsh reviews on this album that basically indicate that the new album is unimpressive at best, and disappointing at worst. I must say that despite these reviews, I bought and listened to the album for the first time yesterday. I may be one of the few but I am impressed. I really like it!

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/\ Me to, been listening a lot. Like it all save Saturday Come Slow (DA's voice grates me!)

likewise. also my least favorite track :p like almost everything else though. the mood of Pray for Rain gets me every time

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #21 of 30
Been playing this album a couple times a day of three days now, and it'll be played for at least daily for a long time to come. I've recently seen them live and they performed a large part of the album (new songs to me then) and from then on I couldn't wait to get it. Good stuff. Pray for rain is great.

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #22 of 30
I gave it a solid shot and will settle around a C-minus. There are some good moments, yet overall it sounds tired to me. Babel would be exemplary of that. A decent, not great loop introduces the track, then it goes no where, same with Psyche and Flat of the Blade.

On the bright side, like those above I love Pray for Rain. The dark into melodic Girl I Love You is my current favorite. Atlas Sound is good, although a little back loaded. For those alone, I don't regret buying the album but would have to slot it near the bottom of the Massive Attack's output.

Feb 16, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #23 of 30
I still have not picked up a copy yet except listening to streams, but probably will hit up a local record shop in town. I have a feeling some copies will make there way over to the 'used' bin. Overall not bad and it has some good songs which have been mentioned but nothing mind blowing. I was hoping that Tricky would rejoin MA for this album.

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #24 of 30
I really like this album and think it one of their best overall.
It's a VERY good one. Very entertaining and nicely recorded.

Feb 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find myself enjoying "Splitting the Atom" alot!

Haha! Yeah... groovy beat. But that's what this entire album is about, isn't it?
wink.gif
And it goes on until the end. Even the last track is very strong in quality.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gave it a solid shot and will settle around a C-minus. There are some good moments, yet overall it sounds tired to me. Babel would be exemplary of that. A decent, not great loop introduces the track, then it goes no where, same with Psyche and Flat of the Blade.

On the bright side, like those above I love Pray for Rain. The dark into melodic Girl I Love You is my current favorite. Atlas Sound is good, although a little back loaded. For those alone, I don't regret buying the album but would have to slot it near the bottom of the Massive Attack's output.

Well said my friend; a good album overall, but barely stands up to their overall discography. Problem here for me is that they are obviously going for the "experimental-minimalist" approach, but when you do minimal you must layer; the songs lack the complexity needed to for the album to avoid sounding monotonous.

Its good, but im already bored. After all this time, I expected more.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #28 of 30
Doh...guess i'll wait to catch this in the used section. I was excited when I saw the thread; though I haven't been listening to the genre in a couple of years I have always been a MA fan.

I kinda felt slightly let down from 100th window so I wasn't expecting much, its is just tough to compare anything to the first three albums.

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #29 of 30
I felt pretty let down by this album. I love all of M.A's stuff including the oft criticized 100th Window but this album really doesnt stand up to their other work. A few good songs like Pray for rain but overall it sounds, i dont know, rushed? No where near the beautiful texture and complexity of their previous albums.

Sorry for the rant but ther're one of my fav bands and I have been waiting on the album for ages.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepherX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Atlas Air is definitely my favorite along with paradise circus.

Quiet cacheable album, full of LOVE
10, 10, 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back