finally! i've narrowed it down and am close.
Feb 12, 2008 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nowhere

100+ Head-Fier
as for the cd player source:
Marantz CD5001 ($299) CD PLAYER
Oppo Digital DV981HD (#229) DVD PLAYER

the marantz is my fav cd player in my price range that ive seen.. i like the oppo digital's versitility alot but the big drawback is i would have to get an amp right away to use headphones with a dvd player and amps are pretty expensive not sure it would fit in my budget as with the cd player i wouldn't need an amp right away or maybe ever.

i actually could use a dvd player upgrade my jvc has served me well but it's extreme slim design causes jitters and stutters in dvd playback which annoys me at times also it doesn't play all formats like oppo.

tough choices.

the marantz + grado sr60 at about 370$ would be perfect for my budget and so that is where i am leaning. (then put aside money for another pair like the audio-technica)

any comments or advice is appreciated.

should i try and go out of my budget and get one of the other headphones? should i try and get an amp and go with the universal player that offers more flexibility and upgrade dvd player? will the marantz lack of playability on all formats hurt me in the end?

all valid questions not sure the answers to.

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertInTheShape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try posting in the headphones section

i did but this also is dealing with source.

the marantz vs oppo. i should probably edit it to deal with just the source. thanks.

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 7
If you aren't in the possession of a good amp and speaker combination, and you need the DVD playing option, the the Oppo will be as much as you'll need for now.
The Marantz comes to life with a good amp and good speakers. If you are mainly interested in headphone type listening, then Consider the Denon DCD-700E. Not often mentioned, but I have yet to hear any other player at twice its price that has sounded so good. It also plays mp3 and has text display.

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you aren't in the possession of a good amp and speaker combination, and you need the DVD playing option, the the Oppo will be as much as you'll need for now.
The Marantz comes to life with a good amp and good speakers. If you are mainly interested in headphone type listening, then Consider the Denon DCD-700E. Not often mentioned, but I have yet to hear any other player at twice its price that has sounded so good. It also plays mp3 and has text display.

thanks for the suggestion i had some denons on my list so i will check out that denon you mentioned.

i have decided to get a cd player now and a dvd player later since the dvd player isn't that much i can save up to get it no problem.

so i will check that denon vs the marantz. (even without an amp i should be happy im not too hard to please)

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 7
I've been using the CD5001 paired with a dark voice 33i tube amp, with some $60 silver plated OFC copper interconnects, and the sound is indeed very good. Good enough that I can clearly pick out the details and layering of an APS v3 cable vs an HD600 or HD650 cable.

But, it never occurred to me to try the headphone jack on the CD5001, so I'll have to get around to that some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back