Finally; I watched my DVD: "Rush in Rio" * Incredible!!!!
May 21, 2004 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AGR

100+ Head-Fier
600smile.gif
What an incredible band! In the 70s, I never could get into them in the 70s - just couldn't accept Geddy Lee's voice. Now; I own all of their albums.

I was more of an ELP, Supertramp, Alan Parsons, and YES fan. In the past 15 years or so, my RUSH collection really took off, though!

May 21, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 10
My brother's a huge Rush fan. I've been hearing a lot of good things about this DVD. Seems like a perfect birthday present.

May 22, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 10
Rush in Rio is one sweet DVD. The crowd energy is incredible and the band is still amazingly good for this particular show. Together, the adrenaline flows and foot tapping turns into full blown rockin' good time. Blows their other live shows away IMO. If I had to give up Rush except for one thing, this is the keeper.

May 22, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
Rush in Rio is one sweet DVD. The crowd energy is incredible and the band is still amazingly good for this particular show. Together, the adrenaline flows and foot tapping turns into full blown rockin' good time. Blows their other live shows away IMO. If I had to give up Rush except for one thing, this is the keeper.

It is a simply fantastic show! I watched part of it again this morning. Neil Peart's percussion solo is (maybe), better than Carl Palmer at his peak? I don't know! I have always been a huge ELP fan. I read where Neil Peart stated that Carl Palmer was one of his influences. Just fantastic stuff!!

May 23, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 10
Tell me what you think of the technical special effects / computer animation. That's my younger brother in action.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Tell me what you think of the technical special effects / computer animation. That's my younger brother in action.
biggrin.gif

Fantastic! Two enthusiastic thumbs up!!
lambda.gif

May 26, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777

Whoah. That's a big claim for these old farts. You're saying this is better than any live Rush recording out there? There's NOTHING from any past live releases that bests it?

Maybe I need to hear more of it. I listened to the CD for a brief period but I was too into The Spirit of Radio release to get into it. As I recall, it had a lot of crowd noise in the mix which was both good and bad.

May 27, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 10
The performances in the Rush in Rio DVD are wonderful. However, after watching it a few times, I decided I would sell it, because IMO the editing of the video makes it too difficult to watch and enjoy. The cutting is dizzying. I think the video averages 2 seconds a cut. Just when I start to focus on the image, it cuts away. This was simply too frustrating for me. So I sold the DVD, but kept the cd version. I think the A Show of Hands video was better at capturing the experience of actually being at a Rush concert, even though the performances are not as good as those in Rio. Plus it's obviously missing the amazing crowd that was at Rio. I'm still in awe of that...
blink.gif

May 28, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker
Whoah. That's a big claim for these old farts. You're saying this is better than any live Rush recording out there? There's NOTHING from any past live releases that bests it?

Maybe I need to hear more of it. I listened to the CD for a brief period but I was too into The Spirit of Radio release to get into it. As I recall, it had a lot of crowd noise in the mix which was both good and bad.

If I were listening to it without the benefit of seeing it too, I may have a different opinion. I could do with less video cuts also, but, when you equate the performance with the pure adrenalinated crowd, you can't help but get caught up in show... YYZ is a great example. On the whole, this is the one to have in my following of the band for 20+ years.

May 28, 2004 at 11:48 AM Post #10 of 10
Yeah, I agree, the YYZ crowd sing-along is flipping nuts. Pure power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back