Finally happy with my Sony EX71
Nov 5, 2004 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

maurus

100+ Head-Fier
I like my Senn PX200, but I have bought Sony EX71 canaphones recently and I'm very happy with them:

- More comfortable
- Sound more clear and detailed
- A little more bass. Not too heavy for my taste.
- A little more isolation.
- More portable, due to its so minor size.
- Cheap: 44 €.
- Short cable (0.5 ms) for use with the control remote.

My current player is Aiwa XP-EV600 (European model of popular XP-EV501R). The sound of this player is very good and clear with DSL (digital bass) OFF. Therefore I do not notice that it has too many heavy or overpowered. Good synergy.

Thanks.

-Maurus

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 15
I have the px200's and i am thinking of switching to the ex71's!

"- 1. Sound more clear and detailed
- 2. A little more bass. Not too heavy for my taste.
- 3. A little more isolation."

please rate both the px200 & the ex71's seperately out of 10 on each of the above points (if you have time
wink.gif
)

- and also if anyone would like to explain why the MD-33's are so much better than both cans I'd appreaciate it!!!

I'm using a Creative Zen to drive em and good bass is important

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by okcomputer
I have the px200's and i am thinking of switching to the ex71's!

"- 1. Sound more clear and detailed
- 2. A little more bass. Not too heavy for my taste.
- 3. A little more isolation."

please rate both the px200 & the ex71's seperately out of 10 on each of the above points (if you have time
wink.gif
)

- and also if anyone would like to explain why the MD-33's are so much better than both cans I'd appreaciate it!!!

I'm using a Creative Zen to drive em and good bass is important

OKComputer, your nick is for RadioHead Album? I like this very much.

After a few week with Sony EX71 I changed some things...

Overall, PX200 is the best of both.

My rating is:

- Bass

PX200: 7 - EX71: 8

I have a good fit with PX200.

- Midrange-Highs

PX200: 9 - EX71: 7

- Isolation

PX200: 7 - EX71: 8

- Comfortable

PX200: 8 - EX71: 6

EX71 leave to me the ears when I move and I must be constantly pressing them. I believe that the canalphones is not for me.

- Portable.

PX200: 6 - EX71: 8

Overall, PX200 is more balanced can and for the price is the best headphone for portable use in travel at work.
280smile.gif

-Maurus

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 15
I have the md33 as well as the sony ex71 and while I agree with the descriptions about the differences between the two I have recently found myslef listening more the the sonys...initially I liked the more "even" and clear sound of the md33 but now I find that the sony attracts me when I plan to listen for longer periods...less fatiguing...though I would never describe the md33 as fatiguing...ANYWAY...I wanted to share that new development since it surprised me...regards, tony

Nov 19, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysal
I have the md33 as well as the sony ex71 and while I agree with the descriptions about the differences between the two I have recently found myslef listening more the the sonys...initially I liked the more "even" and clear sound of the md33 but now I find that the sony attracts me when I plan to listen for longer periods...less fatiguing...though I would never describe the md33 as fatiguing...ANYWAY...I wanted to share that new development since it surprised me...regards, tony

Interesting. I have the 71s but am considering picking up the md33s, as I find the sonys to sound a bit muddy. But the sonys are unbelievably comfortable. The difference in sound quality would have to be significant.

Would you mind offering a little insight for me?
What do you use the md33s with? I use canalphones for my ipod, so I would have to use sharp's extension cord (4->3 pole converter), correct? How incredibly long does the cable end up with the extension? From what I've read it looks to be more than 1m, which is VERY long. Are there other 4 -> 3 pole converters that aren't so darn long? And are the cables running from each ear the same length (so they meet in the middle like normal headphones) or is one side considerably longer so you can stretch one cable behind your head as the sonys stupidly do?
Any help would be appreciated!

Nov 19, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 15
yes, the MD33s have different ear cord lengths, the same as Sony. i'm not a fan of it either, but you learn to get used to it, or at least tolerate it.

as for the 4-pole plug, check out this mod to convert it to a 3-pole plug. you can then plug it directly into your iPod remote or the iPod itself.

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 15
i was listening to my px200's today and liked how crisp and clear they are in comparison to my bass heavy dull sportapros. if the ex71's are the complete anthesis of crisp and clear then i won't go near em!!!!!!

lucky escape i reckon...i'll stick with px200's till i break em one day

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 15
i like my ex71s. when they are burned in, sounds gets better overall of course. i recommend u to use large caps instead of middle caps b/c large caps provide more isolation.

Nov 20, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 15
ndrake,
the sharp 4 pole converter is not too long, I think you will not need to look for alternatives. on the other hand I find the sony extension to be much worse length-wise. I use these phones with a creative MuVo nx mp3 player and a sony d-e401 cd player. I have also, for a hoot, hooked them up via and adaptor to my McIntosh Integrated amp and my Creek OBH-11 headphone amp in my main system, they were not embarassed compared to my grado or sennheiser headphones.
the difference between the two sound-wise is subtle at best, so if you want to hear someting big when changing you may be dissapointed. I think most would say the md33 is a little clearer sounding, with a more prominent mid-range. but, as I said before, I find the sonys to please me more over the long haul. they are so inexpensive I say buy the md33s decide for yourself which to use everyday and leave the other in the drawer as a backup.
warm regards, tony

Nov 27, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysal
ndrake,
the sharp 4 pole converter is not too long, I think you will not need to look for alternatives. on the other hand I find the sony extension to be much worse length-wise. I use these phones with a creative MuVo nx mp3 player and a sony d-e401 cd player. I have also, for a hoot, hooked them up via and adaptor to my McIntosh Integrated amp and my Creek OBH-11 headphone amp in my main system, they were not embarassed compared to my grado or sennheiser headphones.
the difference between the two sound-wise is subtle at best, so if you want to hear someting big when changing you may be dissapointed. I think most would say the md33 is a little clearer sounding, with a more prominent mid-range. but, as I said before, I find the sonys to please me more over the long haul. they are so inexpensive I say buy the md33s decide for yourself which to use everyday and leave the other in the drawer as a backup.
warm regards, tony

Thanks for the response!! Sorry I was out of town for a few days and forgot to check back...

Well now I'm torn as to whether I should try these or not. I'm encouraged that the total cord length seems to be a bit shorter, the ex71's cord is so annoying because if my ipod is in my pocket the slack from the cord hangs down to at least mid-thigh level. I would appreciate more definition in the midrange. The comfort thing is a bit of a hangup though. I know I can wear my sonys anywhere for any amount of time, it sounds like I'm hearing the same may not be true (or at least to the same degree) of the sharps.

Feb 22, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

i was listening to my px200's today and liked how crisp and clear they are in comparison to my bass heavy dull sportapros. if the ex71's are the complete anthesis of crisp and clear then i won't go near em!!!!!!

lucky escape i reckon...i'll stick with px200's till i break em one day

well, about a month later I did break the px200's . after 2 months of listening to the sportapro's (which eventually grew on me) I bought the ex71's and have had em for one day. was not impressed this morning going to work but more impressed this evening after turning up the bass on my zen, the ex71's seemed to handle the excess bass very well while listening to radioheads "everything in its right place". are they already starting to burn in?

Feb 23, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

are they already starting to burn in?

no, you are starting to get used to their sound...

they sound terrible IMO, but i used them for quite a long period and thought they sounded quite good until i switched back and put on some PX100 or portapros to see how much the EX71 suck. they sound very muddy but it seems as if the ear adjusts to the sound and gets used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back