Finally got my SR 225 right...
Aug 18, 2006 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

AndyKatz

100+ Head-Fier
I picked up a used SR 225 from the sale forum last year. Good price, $100.00 even. When it arrived, however, it looked like a Clydesdale had stomped on the package. I thought about filing a claim, but I had some parts from an SR 60, and I used them to fix it.

Because I intended to use it with my mp3, I wanted a shorter cord with a smaller plug. So I snipped the cord and applied a Radio Shack 1/8" as I'd done with the 60 (to shorten the cord, I know it comes with an 18").

What I didn't realize was that the 225 cord is slightly thicker than that of the 60. I couldn't get the new plug to work without shorting. I tried several--each time the cord got shorter and shorter. The only other brands I could find were on-line. Finally I got it close, but there was still evidence of shorting. So I relegated these headphones to the TV.

Then I discovered that Headroom sells cords Ultimate Ears super fi replacement cables for $20.00. Most importantly the length is 46". Perfect. And a flat plug to boot.

Clumsy as I am, it took me all of fifteen minutes to pry apart the cups, desolder the old cord, trim the new one, solder it, tie it off, and even apply ties as traction buffers (as Grado uses in theirs). I used liquid electrical tape to reseal the cups, because it doesn't bond like glue, so I ought to be able to get them apart again should another mod idea present itself.

I also lost one of the plastic retaining tips for the left pole. What a nuisance that was. I know I could probably find new ones stock, but I had some shrink tubing on hand. It fit over the pole, then shrank perfectly, nearly undetectable from the other side.

My bargain Grado is finally back and on-line, a truely mobile rig now.

I'm never going to mess around with mass market plugs again.

Now, in fact, I wonder whether I'll be tempted to try the Cardas or similar 4' cords I've seen on Headroom ($180!).

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back