finally got my soldering tools!
Feb 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MikoLayer

1000+ Head-Fier
I got tired of leeching off of lab tools and got myself a decent soldering iron among other soldering supplies. Now I can finally get myself into this hobby with all seriousness. 

The last thing I have built was Shijosae's CMOY shown here: http://www.headphoneamp.co.kr/ftp/sijosae/Gallery/CMOY/CMOY-4a.jpg and that was about some 8 years ago. My soldering skills aren't the best, but that one went smoothly and didn't have to troubleshoot if anything.

I would like to get back into it, now with something a bit more challenging. Back then, people were suggesting something along the lines of CHA47. Since I haven't kept up with the advances in new designs, may I ask you what would be a next logical step up for a DIY amp? Hopefully something not too prohibitive on material cost or too complex yet somewhat useful. Suggestions please, I am all ears :)

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 3
Headphone amp? Speaker amp?

If you are using a premade PCB, it's pretty much as easy as dropping components into place. If you plan on making a board yourself, it will be undoubtedly harder.

I used to make board for my stuff, but I realized it's much less of a hassle and more fun overall, if you use a premade PCB.

Try a Mosfet Max or a MiniMax?

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 3

Don't really plan on getting speakers in the near future, so it would have to be a headphone amp.

Since I have a pretty decent tube amp in PPX3 (not that I am anywhere ready to attempt building a DIY tube amp yet) and a hybrid in Schiit Lyr, a Mosfet might be a new territory to explorer.

I will look into both of the suggestions though, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back