FINALLY got my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi!
Mar 18, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #91 of 103
Technical update:

The Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi's HiBit and Legato PRO features enable both upsampling and upconversion of standard Red Book CDs and HDCDs to 24bit/96KHz! I just confirmed this information from multiple sources including a Pioneer Elite technician and fellow members from a different HI-FI Internet discussion forum! So, the DV-59AVi is a real contender versus the much storied Denon DVD 5900! This is knockout information and it only confirms my suspicions upon closer listening tests. The sound is both neutral / transparant yet it is warm and musical. I simply can't come to any other conclusion than that of the stock unit's sound characteristics.

Mar 18, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #92 of 103
Welly Wu: Just to clarify, the 59AVi features no special support for HDCDs. You can use an external DAC with HDCD capability, or you can just use the compatibility feature of HDCDs (which are intelligible on Redbook players) but you won't get HDCD sound out of a 59AVi without an external decoder.

Mar 18, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #93 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by LeasingGuy
rolleyes.gif

Can we leave faith and religion out of this website, please!

I enjoy this site a lot but I can not tolerate religious preaching’s of any kind.

Amen
very_evil_smiley.gif

-Silby

Mar 24, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #94 of 103
Another technical update: I have found that using the LEGATO PRO setting "standard" is perhaps the best sounding one. It seems to me that the upconversion process allows for different filters that have a pronounced effect upon the final sound emanating through my earphones. For example, Setting Three produced a very warm and dark sound wheras Setting One was sibilant and harsh sounding. Therefore, I opted to leave LEGATO PRO enabled but to use the Standard setting. It produces a slightly warmer and darker sound for Red Book CDs but it is less heavy handed than Setting Three.

I have scheduled to write a detailed, professional review complete with pictures of the exterior / interior of my stock Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi in conjunction with another secret item in approximately three weeks time. Stay tuned...if you care to read that is.

Mar 24, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #96 of 103
DavidMiya:

According to the manual, the LEGATO PRO upconversion process only effects the play back of Red Book CDs through the front two (left and right) channel outputs. According to the user's manual, the LEGATO PRO feature is a "digital filter that affects mainly frequencies outside of the audible range." Furthermore, "depending on the listening conditions, you may find the effect of Legato PRO difficult to hear." Moreover, its' effect "is applied only to the front left / right channels" and "does not work with 192kHz DVD-Audio discs, or with SACDs." All I can say for now is that the LEGATO PRO feature only effects the tone and timbre of Red Book CD playback; its' effect upon hi-rez materials is non-existant. In fact, it is my tentative hypothesis that my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi sounds like a completely different machine when I play DVD-Audio, SACD, and Red Book CDs along with DVD-Video music videos respectively. I shall save further comments for my forthcoming review.

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #98 of 103
Quick update:

I've noticed another thing about my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi: the PURE AUDIO setting has a substantial effect upon sound quality. Everything sounds more detailed as if low level sounds surface to the top of the heap so to speak. It is not dynamic range compression by any means but things sound crisper and more resolved. Things sound cleaner and a have a sheen of edgy-ness. It was not a clearly heard difference as compared to the Denon DVD 2900 with its ability to turn off the video section but on the DV-59AVi it is there: you just got to listen for the changes. They're there. The soundstage is less cluttered and more precise in terms of layering and depth. It definitely is a wow! kind of effect.

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #99 of 103
Pushing that 'lil ol button is really dramatic. Greater blackness between notes. Sharper attack and more natural decay. Fuller soundstage. Sweeter and more liquid midrange and trebles. WOW!

Apr 14, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #101 of 103
SouthPaw1227:

Thank you very much. The Good Lord has indeed blessed me beyond my imagination! Most importantly, it is my intimate relationship with Jesus Christ that is the true blessing in my life...not audio.

I found out some interesting information about my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi:

Legato PRO (Legato Link Conversion PRO)
The Legato PRO digital filter restores some of
the high-frequency information lost in the CD
and DVD recording and mastering process by
upsampling from 44.1kHz to 176.4kHz for CD
and from 48kHz to 192kHz for DVD.
Legato PRO has four settings, including
Standard and three effect settings. You can
also switch it off. (see page 45).

Hi-Bit
Hi-Bit extends the dynamic range of the main
front speakers by effectively increasing the bit
depth from 16-20 bit to 24 bit. This allows
the player to reveal greater detail in low level
audio (see page 45).

I wish they would tell people about this on their advertising bit...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #103 of 103
Something is going on here!

My Red Book CDs sound better than my DVD-AUDIO discs! For example, I played John Mayer's John Mayer and Heavier Things Red Book CDs and they sound much fuller bodied, richly textured, and better imaging / soundstage than my Fleetwood Mac [/U]Say You Will[/U] disc! FWIW, the Mayer CDs are 16bit/44.1KHz while the Fleetwood Mac DVD-AUDIO disc is 24bit/96KHz. I kid you not in saying for sure that the Red Book CD is more "musical" and "natural" or "warm" than the DVD-AUDIO disc!

BTW, I just found a synergistic match between the DV-59AVi and Emmeline HR-2 along with the CNR ICs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back