Finally got me some CX300 - appreciation
May 23, 2006 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Oliver :)

Headphoneus Supremus
After it was seemingly impossible (in Germany) to pick up a pair of black CX300s at a decent price for a while I today found some at my local Gravis while checking out the new MacBook (nice btw). I got totally exited since two weeks ago I had searched the whole town for them, only finding silver ones at suggested retail (€69!
eek.gif
). Just had to take the opportunity, and at €59 the price was ok. These buds are pretty nice! I had started the day with my HD-25s and was surprised at the hefty amount of bass these little things put out. Ok, they were being driven by my Supermacro (bless the impedance switch), but even straight out of the iPod they sounded just fine. High-end extension seems a little disappointing at this time, but considering they are fresh out of the box they might improve with burn-in. Which is what I am doing right now, burning them on my Cosmic. Imagine, 16Ohm phones on the Cosmic
icon10.gif
- the bass reaches insane proportions. They also passed my public transportation test providing decent isolation. Not Etymotic level of course, but very nice for this type of phones and much better than my Apple In-Ears (note, In-Ears, not iBuds). I don't know whether it is due to the asymmetric cord, but I noticed no obtrusive microphonics. Right now I am quite happy I got them
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 30
I know this will hurt, but... I live in Germany, and I just got them from the Netherlands for 35 euro (I have a friend there, the shop does not send abroad)...

Regarding burn-in, it is supposed that IEMs do not have any burn-in.

I find the sound quite analytical, in comparison to my Super.fis...

Regards,

Alberto

May 26, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cribeiro
I know this will hurt, but... I live in Germany, and I just got them from the Netherlands for 35 euro (I have a friend there, the shop does not send abroad)...

I find the sound quite analytical, in comparison to my Super.fis...

Sweet deal!
eek.gif
Lucky you!
icon10.gif

Never listened to any Super.fi, but at the moment I perceive the CX300 as a great fun phone. They make everything quite groovy. I like them best out of the Supermacro though
very_evil_smiley.gif
there go my ultraportable plans...
rolleyes.gif

May 26, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 30
Are there different versions of these earphones around? It's strange, because I think my CX 300 (69,- €) don't have enough bass at low volume. Of course, when I turn up the volume to higher, probably unsafe levels, then there's a decent bass punch, but the highs become a pain in the ear, getting too loud and shrill. Everytime there's a high drumbeat, it's like "ouch, that hurt!".

edit: I forgot to mention: They have a bad hiss that is always present and makes quiet music not too enjoyable.

May 26, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 30
There are no versions, you most likely do not get a good fit.
Try to fit them with the biggest tip you can stuff into your ear, and put them as deep inside as possible. I found difficult to fit them the first time, I feel the best is to use the "rock & roll" that UE describes in their web site. Try to open the ear canal with one hand's fingers while inserting the IEM with the other hand, pinching the tip to make it shrink. Just some tricks that work for me...

It could of course also be that you are a basshead
basshead.gif
or that they are faulty...

Regards,

Alberto

May 26, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 30
Yes, I tried all different sizes and also the special technique you described. I think it fits correctly, since I have a very good isolation. Sometimes, in the beginning, I've put them so deep inside that the silver rings haven't been visible anymore (but that's too far I think).

May 26, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 30
Dude, you have some big ears!!
etysmile.gif
I am joking...
Well, this is now challenging... Let's see... Another possibility is that you have messed up the EQ in your player... Did you try with different sources/amps? Sorry if I am stating the obvious..., but I am running out of ideas!

Otherwise, I guess the answer is...
basshead.gif
For this, it would help if you tell us how you feel about other headphones... or the kind of music/eq settings you use...

Unlikely, but they could also be faulty... Nobody is perfect! If you got them in a "physical" shop, you could try to exchange them...

Good luck and regards,

Alberto

May 26, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 30
Yeah, I'm out of ideas, too. Mostly I use an iPod nano without equalizer settings. Well, I'm not a real basshead - For example, I like the small kickbass and the clear, unintrusive highs of the Sennheiser PX 100 (it's probably the old version, since it came in an orange packaging). But nothing's worse than an uncomfortable "ouch!"-feeling like I get with my CX 300. I'm turning up the volume, and when the bass starts to kick, the highs already prick. Playing at low volume, there's the hiss. But this is probably something many IEMs have in common.

Jun 1, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 30
60€?? These cx300 are available (and in stock) for just 29€ in Barcelona. In a shop whichs name is "Nivell 10" (Pelayo Street, near Universitat).

They have in stock plempty of both models (the black and the metallic version) aswell as Grados (sr60, 80, 125...).

Btw, I'm new here... hi
orphsmile.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Yes, it is...

Hola, Marianitu, bienvenido. And prepair your wallet!!
orphsmile.gif

My wallet is ready
biggrin.gif
Already expended some momey in px100, px200, PortaPro, Shure e2c, e3c, Grado SR60 and now these cx300

The cx300 sounds imho a bit "bass excesive" I must equallize them a lot to sound the way I like... but well... I'm used to Sr60's sound so this is normal
smily_headphones1.gif

Greets!

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 30
Living in China, just got my cx300s this morning. Sound great to me so far.

What seems strange is the price. In physical stores they sell around ¥200, which is about US$25. I got mine in an online trading system for ¥43, or about $5.5. This struck me as being very strange...

Anyone have anything to say on this? Newbie here.

Jun 1, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 30
nothing strange, price is different in different countries.

CX300 costs US$95 with tax in Canada while American can buy them at the price of 50 on amazon
mad.gif

But China price can't be beaten eh?

Jun 1, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

I noticed a huge difference in the sound quality of mine after leaving the CX 300s playing for hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back