Finally got a set of Old School RS-1's
Dec 15, 2006 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

recstar24

Can Jam '10 Organizer
I have been looking for these babies for quite awhile. Saw a set on ebay for 499 buy it now, so I bit:

01f1_3.jpg

06df_3.jpg

04b9_3.jpg

Now its been awhile since I have owned RS-1's, but these do appear to have a subtle difference to the sound. The highs seem to be more controlled, focused I would say. And there is a beautiful soundstage that I am hearing from these RS-1's that I don't remember experiencing with my previous set, which was just a normal new stock set (black headband, pizza box). Acoustic memory doesn't mean much, but I will have an opportunity to directly compare with a new stock RS-1 very soon, so stay tuned for a future comparison.

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 37
Thoughts as to the year?

Oh yea, Congrats!
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 37
Oh good lord, those are LOVELY. I have yet to dabble in the black arts of vintage RS1, but I know that the vintage pair in Sound by Singer in NYC was what turned me on to Grado in the first place... I think many of us have tried to make them part with that set.

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh good lord, those are LOVELY. I have yet to dabble in the black arts of vintage RS1, but I know that the vintage pair in Sound by Singer in NYC was what turned me on to Grado in the first place... I think many of us have tried to make them part with that set.

I heard that same pair...it was pretty beat up but sounded great.

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 37
Nice get!

Are you going to use those flats or do you have bowls around?

Dec 15, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 37
I preferred the sound on my older RS's VS the newer ones owned over the years..but that is just me, nice get rec..hope you enjoy their sound.

You hit it on the head with more control and slightly more balanced, and focused headstaging..the bass and timbre of the MR on the older RS's is something to hear if you like Grado phones.

Dec 15, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 37
I know how you guys feel. I have an older pair of RS-1's, one of the first 100 units, and its sound is MUCH different than the current woodies- i think its tipped more to the Joe Grado side of signature sound than anything. Very unique.

Im worried tho, recent financial situations may force me to let go of them... but im gonna try my hardest to not let them out of my sight.

The first RS-1's are definatly in a class of their own.

Dec 15, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 37
congrats! geek that i am, i saw those on ebay too, and if i didn't go to vegas just last week and blow all my cash just to see 1911 not bring my HHF-1s, i might have taken a flyer. i'm happy now that i didn't post up that auction here either, as i see a fellow head-fier got it anyhow, congrats!

Dec 15, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congrats! geek that i am, i saw those on ebay too, and if i didn't go to vegas just last week and blow all my cash just to see 1911 not bring my HHF-1s, i might have taken a flyer. i'm happy now that i didn't post up that auction here either, as i see a fellow head-fier got it anyhow, congrats!

Whoa, close one - thanks man for letting that get to me. I did snag it within an hour or two of the posting, so I just happened to be on ebay at the right time I guess.

Two things I have also noticed. The bass seems tighter and not as bloated as the new stock RS-1 I had. The set of RS-1's from recent production that I used to own would bother me after awhile due to what I heard as a upper/midbass peak, that made it sound punchy, but a bit over the top. This would prevent me from really hearing the deep low bass notes. With these older RS-1's, I don't hear as much of that, and it is easier for me to hear real real low. Compared to my HP-1000's, the gap is much closer than what I remembered it to be.

Dec 15, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know how you guys feel. I have an older pair of RS-1's, one of the first 100 units, and its sound is MUCH different than the current woodies- i think its tipped more to the Joe Grado side of signature sound than anything. Very unique.

it sounds like the older ones may sound closer to the ms-pros, which i brieflly heard against my previous set of rs-1s (vintage probably ca. 2000). i definately preferred the more tonally correct ms-pros.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know how you guys feel. I have an older pair of RS-1's, one of the first 100 units, and its sound is MUCH different than the current woodies- i think its tipped more to the Joe Grado side of signature sound than anything.The first RS-1's are definatly in a class of their own.

How do you know it's one of the first 100 units?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back