FINALLY going to upgrade from SR-80s, need some advice
Jan 18, 2010 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

evanft

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I just found out that I'm getting an extra $500 in scholarship money, so I'm gonna by some new headphones.

So here's what my system looks like right now:

Oppo 980----->Darkvoice 336i------>Grado SR-80s

I'm probably going to stick with tube amps, probably the Darkvoice/Figaro brand. I probably won't bother upgrading my CD player for a while. When I do, it'll probably be a Sony SACD XA-5400ES or I might make the switch over to a music server solution.

Music I listen to:

- Classic rock
- Metal
- Classical
- Jazz

Basically lots of stuff.

Here's the kind of sound I generally want:

- Good soundstage
- Realism
- Accuracy and speed
- Detail
- No harsh highs
- Smooth, involving midrange would be nice
- Not too forward. I'm not looking for more of the Grado sound.

Essentially, I'm looking for headphones that have a realistic presentation that will allow me to hear a lot of the detail in the music without coloring it too much. I don't want too much bass or treble, but I don't want things to be too veiled, either.

Headphones I'm really considering:

Senn HD 650 - probably not the best choice given my preferences, but they're supposed to work really, really well with the Darkvoice amps. The veil and bass bump worries me, though.

Senn HD 600 - supposed to be like the 650, but without the veil and a bit more forward.

AKG K701 - supposed to be detailed, with good soundstage reproduction. Also described as being harsh, however.

Beyer DT880/600 ohm - Supposed to be very balanced, accurate, and with a good soundstage. Maybe the leader?

So, any thoughts?

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 20
With that Darkvoice I would get a DT880/600 ohm. Second choice would be a high end grado, but since you don't want another grado, HD600.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 20
Also look into the HF-2. It's a grado, but supposedly doesn't sound like a typical grado. Coming from SR80, the senns might sound too veiled for you, and the HF-2 actually might fit the bill (except maybe for soundstage).

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 20
I'd be saying either HD600 or DT880/600. I've always wanted to try a DT880/600. Are you able to go have a listen somewhere?

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 20
I suggest narrowing the list down to AKG 701 or DT880. I think the Senn HD6XX might be too slow and viscous for you unless your tube amp has great synergy with them.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest narrowing the list down to AKG 701 or DT880. I think the Senn HD6XX might be too slow and viscous for you unless your tube amp has great synergy with them.

Darkvoice + Senns are known to be a brilliant combo. I can vouch for that too. But coming from Grados, Senns might just be a bit too weighty and smooth, I agree. However I happily switch between Ety's and Senns so maybe not. Who knows.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 20
ibasso D4 amp/dac + alessandro MS2i

*just my vote
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #11 of 20
then i vote for 325i

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 20
If you're done with Grados, sell your existing Grado and use the cash to expand your fund. I'm a Grado fan but I understand the desire to cut out some of those above-the-line spikes in the HF, though if you have a great amp, you can boost the bass without having to raise the HF to where it stabs you in the eardrum. You can get a DT990 for less than $400 new and for less than $200 on the street.

My favorite Grado for rock is the HF-2.
For rock, I wouldn't get the K-701 unless you have a solid amp. It's not really a rock headphone.
Lots of people like the HD600 or the HD650, though their sounds are distinct from each other. To me, the Senns are too veiled. There's so much filtration, I don't feel the dynamics, though the bass was very nice off my 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back