Finally found my 'buzz'
Feb 24, 2008 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been getting an intermittent buzz out the right channel of my setup for quite some time. The buzz is very faint and only on the right. I tried swapping the driver tubes to see if the buzz moved to the other side. Nope. Replaced all of the tubes to see if the buzz disappeared. Nope. Swapped my interconnects. No joy. Replaced my power cord with one that had the ground lug removed (just to test, not permanent). Still buzzing. Put a ferrite core on the power cord. No help.

I have a six-plug adapter which covers the duplex wall plug. I have three things plugged into the adapter: A surge protector for my PC, my amp and my CD player. As soon as I unplugged the the surge protector (SP), the buzzing stopped. I figured that one of the components plugged into the SP was causing the problem, so I plugged the SP back in and unplugged each item one at a time to find the culprit. Well, with everything unplugged from the SP the buzz was still present, unplugged it and the buzz stopped again.

Looks like I'll be in the market for a new surge protector, unless someone has a better (cheaper) solution/suggestion.

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 4
Cheap power conditioner?

Feb 24, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheap power conditioner?

You know, I found one on ebay for a reasonble price but I'm afraid to use it for two reasons:

- I checked the output voltage and it seemed way too high.

- I'm not sure the rated amperage of the conditioner is high enough for my tube amp. I'm guessing by the amount of heat that the tubes and amp emits that it is drawing a considerable amount of current. I didn't want to risk it.

Is there some type of filter that can be used at the plug of the amp or surge protector that will remove the buzz?

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I found one on ebay for a reasonble price but I'm afraid to use it for two reasons:

- I checked the output voltage and it seemed way too high.

- I'm not sure the rated amperage of the conditioner is high enough for my tube amp. I'm guessing by the amount of heat that the tubes and amp emits that it is drawing a considerable amount of current. I didn't want to risk it.

Is there some type of filter that can be used at the plug of the amp or surge protector that will remove the buzz?

Yep, use a 60hz/50hz (depending on your location) Notch Filter!

Ala.. Handy dandy little circuit #9

I'm working on a modified form for myself.

NK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back