FINALLY! eBay cracks down on overcharging for shipping
Jul 27, 2006 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

adhoc

Headphoneus Supremus
...and it's about damned time too.
rolleyes.gif

ANNOUNCEMENT: http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200606270927042.html
DETAILS: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...geName=CMDV:AB

"As Bill mentioned, our Community has told us – and our research confirms -- excessive shipping prices drive buyers from our site."

So fellow Head-Fiers, don't like that obviously excessive shipping price?

REPORT IT!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 7
While it would have been nice if they came out with this years ago, it's certainly better late than never.

Good news for all reputable ebay users.

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 7
Meh, ebay never does anything for the customer.
The real reason for the change of policies is they are trying to get higher fees.
They don't get fees for shipping/handling costs.
In the future the "buy it now" prices will be higher and the shipping/handling costs lower, resulting in more fees for ebay.
An extreme example:
A few months ago I've sold a DT531 via ebay.
"Buy it now" price: 1 Euro
Shipping/handling : 59 Euros.
Naturally I did warn the potential buyers about the outrageous shipping costs in the description text.
It's totally legit that they are stopping users from exploiting that loophole, but again:
They are doing it for their own financial benefit, not for you.

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 7
I recently "won" a hand painted wooden trinket box from a seller in China for $11.00 . He then sent an invoice with an $81 Can. shipping charge. I told him there wasn't a chance in the world I was going to pay that much and accused him of doing exactly what e-bay is now attempting to stop. He then said he would make an exception for me and could ship it for $50 ( It weighed about a pound and was 4" X 4" X 8" in size). Again I told him to stuff it. He said he'd leave bad feedback and I said I'd report him to ebay AND leave bad feedback. Never heard from him again.

I'm glad ebay is finally cracking down on this sort of thing.

Quote:

The real reason for the change of policies is they are trying to get higher fees.

That's true, but if it protects the buyers as well, then good for them.

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
A few months ago I've sold a DT531 via ebay.
"Buy it now" price: 1 Euro
Shipping/handling : 59 Euros.

That is fine if the item arrives safely, however if there is a problem sellers do not always refund shipping, so maybe you get your one euro back. You may be more ethical than that of course
biggrin.gif

When you use eBay you are taking advantage of their intermediary service connecting buyers and sellers - they ask for a cut in return - this seems reasonable - if one feels that eBay's cut is too much, well one is not forced to use it, one can always use Craigslist or Audiogon or elsewhere.

I dont use eBay much anymore and I always avoid sellers that charge excessive shipping nor would I bid without a shipping quote.

The problem here is how to define excessive.

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 7
I recently won an auction for a penny (though postage etc was £7.50) and was happy at paying £7.51 for a cable delivered to the UK from HK.

However, due to the seller's oversight they (a company) sent me the same cable twice. I emailed them asking what they wanted me to do with the second cable and they wanted to know what my postage charge would be. I said it would probably be the same as they charged me or higher sending from the UK!!

I don't think they had understood that the duplicate was from them as they offered my a 50% refund on the purchase price - though how they would give my a half of a penny back I don't know! I re-explained and have not heard from them again, I guess it's not worth their while paying me £7.50 to return a cable supposedly worth a penny!!

BTW It's an XBOX 360 s-video cable made by Microsoft so perhaps worth at least two pence.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back