Finally, but...
Feb 2, 2006 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

epion2985

Head-Fier
Finally got my A900LTD's. Incredible, couldnt have been more happier. I will post pictures when I get my new dac.

Have a question. Never owned headphones with quite such a frequency range. Not only in windows but when I boot I hear this sound I never head before. It sounds like some sort of an alarm or siren going off softly in the back ground. My first idea was its a build in clip to tell you the voluem is so high you are about to kill yourself but then again I never head it before.

Anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it, its very anoying, when a song gets quiet I can hear it in the back ground and it kills the expirience.

thanks

Feb 2, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 23
what is your setup? sounds like your driving your headphones straight from soundcard lineout?

Feb 2, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
what is your setup? sounds like your driving your headphones straight from soundcard lineout?

right now yes, its a POS onboard sound card, my external dac and sound card upgrades are in transit.

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 23
Thats bizzarre. The first thing I would do is try switching sources and seeing if that changes anything.

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
Thats bizzarre. The first thing I would do is try switching sources and seeing if that changes anything.

another bizzare thing is when for instance in firefox or anything with a scroll bar you click it hold it and drag up and down it makes a noise too. Weird

PS:
actualy it seems if I click and drag around any window in windows it makes a sound as well, these are not serent sounds more like humming noise that lasts as long as I am dragging the window

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 23
I think all onboards makes that humming sound, due to bus interference (or something like that). LOL, it was bad enough with my Pro5, with an A900LTD it must be reaaally annoying. Cross your fingers that the DAC and the soundcard arrives soon!

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 23
I always turn all the sounds off. I am the type that goes though every system prossess and service and disable most of them when I install os. None of that extra bagage to slow things down, hate it.

Indeed, A900LTD's are simply amazing, I am speechless. I honestly did not expect this type of responce from this upgrade but I bought them anyway to try, $300 is a decent price and I respect the opinions of sertain people whos responce to these cans was very positive. I am impressed
icon10.gif

Dac and sound card should be here in a week or so.

Feb 3, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by epion2985
actualy it seems if I click and drag around any window in windows it makes a sound as well, these are not serent sounds more like humming noise that lasts as long as I am dragging the window

This sounds like a grounding/electrical noise problem, which is very common with computer sources. I get these same kinds of sounds if I plug a pair of headphones right into the line-out of my laptop when it's running off of the mains power. If you can connect to your new DAC via optical cable, unless of course it's an internal card.

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 23
Yes...I love the balanced sound that it has..the BASS, the mids and the highs are all there.

I just wonder what those high-end phones would sound like...
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #11 of 23
If there is interference you can try installing the soundcard in another pci slot. It will be a lot of extra work, but it might help putting distance between the sound card and whatever else could be causing interference.

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #12 of 23
When the dac and sound card get here I will test it out for this. If still there I will try to connect via optical. Right now I have a monster SPDIF coax sitting here. My only worry is optical might not fix it since the noise could be added before it hits the optical line, ie maybe on the motherboard or on the ribbon cable connecting the X-fi to its 5.25" bay panel.

Feb 3, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

noise could be added before it hits the optical line

You're not going to get electrical/group loop noise traveling over an optical cable.

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Revliskciuq
You're not going to get electrical/group loop noise traveling over an optical cable.

Not on it but if the noise gets picked up before the signal hits the converter that converts it to light for the Toslink then I would think it would get converted along with the rest of the signal since it will be a part of it at that point.

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 23
For a start, turning off all the inputs for playback may help. If it doesn't, well, not too bad in this case with an upgrade already being underway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back