Finally back in the market for some new cans!
Feb 1, 2009 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

solessthanthree

100+ Head-Fier
A few months ago, I sold my 05 consumer DT770s to fund books for schooling and have been using my KSC75s exclusively. I love them but I've finally been able to save up enough money to grab a new set of cans and I'd like to ask you guys for some advice!

I really wanted to wait until CanJam so I could audition some stuff, but it just happens that my finals week coincides with the event :[ so I got to researching. I had my eyes set on a pair of D2000s for quite a while but I heard the isolation was rather poor and the market for them has gone up considerably, making them rather expensive and hard to find. Then I looked at the k701s but was dissuaded when I read about the headband discomfort. So I thought why not split the difference and grab a pair of DT770 pros for the bass and isolation and a set of ATH AD700s to listen to all the other stuff. This should keep me under my ~$250-300 budget, especially if I buy used. Soooo what I wanted to ask was if you guys think this is a good idea or if it would be a better idea to consolidate my funds and purchase a single set.

I'm looking for something with a decent soundstage and good mids/highs for vocals. Something closed with good isolation would be nice for movies for when the roommates are being loud but the SQ is more important. I've always been a closet basshead (that's what the DT770s are for :p) but I've been trying to get away from it. I'm definitely not bound to any of the cans listed above and I'd be up for any advice or suggestions. Thanks!

(Oh yeah, I have a Zero DAC/amp but don't plan on getting a dedicated amp any time this year)

Edit: With all the new headphones coming out, I was thinking about grabbing a set of ER4ps for now for use with a portable player and waiting a while for prices to go down... I guess that's an option but I've been waiting for what feels like an eternity, so any advice is still very much appreciated! :]

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 13
What did you not like about the DT770 Edition 2005? I think they're quite good, especially for a closed headphone.

If you don't mind IEMs, then my vote would certainly go for the ER-4S (or P as you've already suggested). I have treasured my ER-4S, and still have not heard any full-size headphones that can match them.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 13
I heard the D2000 today and I have to say the posts about how the D2000 lacks isolation are a bit exaggerated. At the meet there were 4-5 guys talking nearby. I had the D2000 on about to hit play and noticed I could hear that they were talking, but only barely. Once the music started I couldn't hear them at all. Now on something like a subway the isolation may not be enough, but for general noise they are fine.

As for the sound. I used them on a fairly mellow source and really didn't like them. I'm not much of a closed phone guy though. They had plenty of bass, but it wasn't very well controlled and the highs were pretty weak. Though someone else tried the same phones on a brighter source and said they sounded bright (opposite of me) so who knows. They were comfy at least.

I tried the K701 on the same mellow source and really liked them. Not as dead as everyone makes them out to be. This person used some clear zip ties to lock the headband in the high position all the time, and since the phone is white they blended in. I didn't even notice it til he said it after I had already listened to them. They are very much open and provide zero isolation.

I haven't auditioned the DT770s or AD700s. I've recommended both recently (based on what I've read) with a couple people going for the DT770s and enjoying them.

I would definitely recommend continuing to move away from being a basshead. Many of the bass heavy phones just don't provide a good full spectrum sound.

With the phones you mention, you have D2000 at 25ohm (I think?), K701 at 300ohm, DT770 at 80 or 250ohm and AD700 at 32ohms. For the K701 or DT770@250ohm you will benefit greatly from an amp, but it isn't totally necessary right away. Any phone will of course benefit, but if you are driving from a poor source, cranking up the volume on a source struggling to keep up any way will just make it even worse, a vicious distortion circle.

You also might try to find a few people to do a mini-meet in your area who have some headphones you are interested in trying. Experiencing phones in person is always best. My reaction to the D2000 was surprising given what I've read here.

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 13
@Jaska: There wasn't anything I disliked from my 05 DT770s. I treasured them greatly until I sold them as a necessity but I feel like I'd like to try out some different sound signatures. I might even end up going back to them :]

I'm really getting into the idea of getting some used ER4ps (the difference is s=stereo and p=portable right? I heard the Ps have enhanced bass).

@Maxvla: That's some great information on a lot of cans. I'm sure I'm won't be the only one benefiting from it! :] For the D2000s, Isolation isn't a huge deal for me but hearing your opinion of the SQ is sort of disconcerting, though the comfort is definitely a plus. I'm really eying an open phone right now and that k701 idea with the zip ties is new to me :]

I'm anxious to get a new pair of cans but I'm actually enjoying this search a lot! It's nice to finally have a budget :p Thanks again for your opinions!

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 13
Just remember if you get in ears you can wave good-bye to soundstage.

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 13
Well take my D2000 experience with a grain of salt. Not an ideal source for these phones to be sure. Mellow source with mellow phones = bloat and flabby bass.

The zip ties mod was very clean, I don't remember who had them, nobody had name tags or anything and it was my first time there. You can post in the DFW impressions thread if you want to know more about it.

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 13
I would go with one better headphone rather than two lesser phones. No real isolation but for bass you might like the HD650.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 13
The ER-4S/P will give you excellent clarity, detail and a nice, intimate headspace.

If you're in the market for IEMs, the Etymotics might be the way to go, as long as you don't have to keep taking them out and reinserting them.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 13
I wanted to get the exalted HD650s for the longest time but I finally came to my senses and realized I'd be choking them without a proper amp drive them. Maybe in a few months when the HD800 prices level out, I might be able to pick up a pair :]

As for now, I'm considering a ER4P+AD700 combination to cover more bases as boomy3555 noted. Could anyone comment on the AD700 as a full sized can? I've read great things about it and think it might be a really nice addition, but I'm a bit hesitant to grab two bass-lean pieces. I really wish I could attend CJ '09 :[

Users who are viewing this thread

Back