Finally... Audiophile DVD-A for Porcupine Tree "The Incident"
Feb 18, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #16 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SQ sucks.

Also, you already know what the DVD-A 24bit files sound like. The vinyl you heard was a straight transfer of those 24bit files. So that is exactly what the new DVD-a is gonna sound like.

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #17 of 85
wait... so you guys are suggesting that steve wilson, audiophile genius, released a sub-par 5.1 mix of an album in his snazzy special edition, on purpose, only to put out another, better sounding one later?

ever read 'the emperor's new clothes'?

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #18 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iniamyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me The Incident has taken a lot longer to grow on me than some of the other albums. Deadwing is probably my favorite album. It took me probably 5-10 listens over a few weeks to really get into Deadwing and In Absentia. I'm not there yet with the Incident but I'm trying to give it some time.

Weak album is weak album. The Incident is far from a bad album by any means but it's the weakest Porcupine Tree album they have released in a long time. So to answer Head Injury's question, The Incident stacks up badly against Stupid Dream and In Absentia, it has some badass moments (I espeically dig Time Files) but has lots of boring moments too.

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #19 of 85
So the original 5.1 dvd of The Incident sounded bad? That's kind of surprising, actually.

As a side note, I've not been able to listen to The Incident in its entirety. It's not that I have a short attention span - I listen to full albums all the time - it's that it's very, very dull.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #20 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, you already know what the DVD-A 24bit files sound like. The vinyl you heard was a straight transfer of those 24bit files. So that is exactly what the new DVD-a is gonna sound like.

I know what the Vinyl sounds like on a mix of your gear and my gear.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not sure how it will sound on just my gear.

Are we sure the vinyl wasn't taken from the same low quality 24 bit files that were on the DVD? And it was a DVD, not a DVD-A. Only the new one coming out is a DVD-A.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #21 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait... so you guys are suggesting that steve wilson, audiophile genius, released a sub-par 5.1 mix of an album in his snazzy special edition, on purpose, only to put out another, better sounding one later?

ever read 'the emperor's new clothes'?

Yes, that's exactly what he did. He is all about the money now. Isn't that evident from the lyrics used in his past two albums? The guy is a sell out.

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #22 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it was a DVD, not a DVD-A. Only the new one coming out is a DVD-A.

Reason number 148 DVD-Audio failed to catch on: the horrible, confusing name.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #23 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weak album is weak album. The Incident is far from a bad album by any means but it's the weakest Porcupine Tree album they have released in a long time. So to answer Head Injury's question, The Incident stacks up badly against Stupid Dream and In Absentia, it has some badass moments (I espeically dig Time Files) but has lots of boring moments too.

+ several

I don't hate it...till I consider the source. Feels like an inside joke and I'm the third wheel. Usually I feel like he stole my thoughts while I was asleep. Still listen it to though.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #24 of 85
Yeah, I held off buying any version of this album, and now I am not even sure I want to get the DVD-Audio version. The times that I have listened to it, I was so bored. I know it will never be anywhere as good as In Absentia, Stupid Dream, or Lightbulb Sun, but perhaps someone can shed some light on it for me...

...what do you like best about the album? I do not particularly care for Time Flies at all, so what other redeeming qualities about this album do you find?

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #25 of 85
you guys are out of your minds...

it makes ZERO sense to spend months writing arranging and recording work to the best of your ability, to make music you can feel proud of (it's not their best work, but still it's darn good music) then spend time making a BAD 5.1 mix for the fiends who will shell out the dough to get the special edition in order to have it first only to then go back in the studio to mix another BETTER sounding one to make more money from the same material.

ZERO sense.

if this new release had extra tracks i'd say 'maybe it's a cash-grab'. but he released the extra tracks on a seperate disc, and also on the dvd...

and to say ["Yes, that's exactly what he did. He is all about the money now. Isn't that evident from the lyrics used in his past two albums? The guy is a sell out. "] is just nonsense. he's not a sellout. if he makes tons of money for his awesome work, he DESERVES it. we are all fans, and i'll happily pay him for the HOURS of entertainment he's given me. i hope he becomes wealthy...

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #26 of 85
Quote:

you guys are out of your minds...

it makes ZERO sense to spend months writing arranging and recording work to the best of your ability, to make music you can feel proud of (it's not their best work, but still it's darn good music) then spend time making a BAD 5.1 mix for the fiends who will shell out the dough to get the special edition in order to have it first only to then go back in the studio to mix another BETTER sounding one to make more money from the same material.

ZERO sense.

Looks like you are new to Porcupine Tree's release history. Yes, their regular releases are brickwalled crap, but their DVD-Audios are some of the best of the format.

You are forgetting their targeted audiences...

CD/DVD-Video = iPod crowd

DVD-Audio = People that care about sound quality

So yes, it does make absolutely perfect sense to mess with the volume adjustments with each release. I doubt that the actual 5.1 mix (speaker roles and panning effects) has been altered much if at all though.

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #28 of 85
you two aren't listening to what i'm saying. i realize the guy has remastered things he did ages ago, because he's gotten better at his craft. but to sit at the console while working on your music, and consciously twist the knobs to a point where you're making the stuff 85% great on purpose, only to go back in and do it again and go the extra 15% makes no sense.

the guy has become quite good. if he releases something, he puts it out at the current best of his ability. understand? i'm talking about the dvd version. it's higher resolution than the cd. i know cd's are mastered differently. but if you have the dvd, you have heard the version that's coming... nobody mixes something bad on purpose...

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #29 of 85
Quote:

you two aren't listening to what i'm saying. i realize the guy has remastered things he did ages ago, because he's gotten better at his craft. but to sit at the console while working on your music, and consciously twist the knobs to a point where you're making the stuff 85% great on purpose, only to go back in and do it again and go the extra 15% makes no sense.

This is absurd! It's makes perfect sense to go back and do something again. Time passes by...people get better at their craft and new technology is introduced every day. It would make perfect sense to go back, with better technology and more experience to re-do even a slight error of your past. That's what being a professional is all about...the constant struggle to better yesterdays work with the hopes of improving upon it tomorrow.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #30 of 85
unbelievable...you guys... seriously... READ what i wrote

i said that if you go back and remaster old material when you get better at your craft is understandable!

but as he was making THIS album THIS PAST YEAR, he made it to the best of his CURRENT ability. you guys are suggesting he sat at the controls and mixed a 5.1 mix of an album BADLY with the intent of re releasing it again a few monthes later after making it better.

this doesn't make sense to me... you must imagine steve wilson as a stove-pipe-hat-wearing, moustache-twirling villain... he's been nominated for a grammy for his 5.1 mixes. he's known for being a killer producer. why on earth would he do this? it's his reputation he'd be screwing with...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back