Finally, an MTP-> UMS conversion IS possible for iRiver's T series!
Feb 3, 2006 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Scorpio(DDMF)

Head-Fier
You can find more info on the links below:

http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=36052

http://www.mtp-ums.net

Summary:

Until now, all of T series bought in US & EU were MTP devices, while units bought in the rest of the world were UMS by default. It is now posssible to convert your MTP device to UMS, wich can be used on all operating systems, and not only on WinXP+WMP10 combination.

Thread contains info on the conversion, please read it in full, so you can understand the consequences of such action!

Usual disclaimer applies, I'm not responsible if you brick your player!

I converted my MTP EU T20 Pure (no FM) to UMS, and everything works fine
cool.gif

Thanks goes out to guys @ Mistic river who brainstormed the whole thing!
biggrin.gif

Hope this will be of some interest to you,

Cheers...

Feb 4, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 9
I converted my T30 MTP to UMS without problem. Now I can mount the device under Linux and upload files without booting Windows XP.
orphsmile.gif
The modded firmware upgrade is safe for iRiver T20 and T30.

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 9
I just bought a T 30. If I normally use my laptop which uses xp & also has
mp10 on it, is there any advantage to making this change? I found that I can load files just fine through explorer. The only irritating thing was not being able to create a folder in explorer.

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela
I just bought a T 30. If I normally use my laptop which uses xp & also has
mp10 on it, is there any advantage to making this change? I found that I can load files just fine through explorer. The only irritating thing was not being able to create a folder in explorer.

Well, it all depends how you look at it
biggrin.gif

In MTP mode you can freely transfer files (it is easier to use the "Data" folder for all your music, since the "Music" folder doesn't accept oggs, or any other types except mp3 and wma) - both music and data to/from device via explorer.

BTW: You can make folders on your MTP device, but only in the "Music" folder, and only via WMP10 (option in its toolbar).

Drawback of MTP is its usability. It is only available on WinXP Sp1/Sp2 + WMP 10.

If you convert your player, thus making it act as UMS device, you will be able to use it as any other USB drive.

Personally, the feature I missed the most in MTP mode was the free space displaying...

I went UMS, because I use Win2K mostly, and installed XP just for transferring music
rolleyes.gif

In your case, I don't think UMS is necessary due to risk/gain ratio...

Hope I was helpful
biggrin.gif

Cheers...

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the reply Scorpio. I kinda figured it wasn't worth it for my purposes. Since I almost aways use XP & that computer has mp10 on it anyway.

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 9
Well I waited for about 2 months, but I did not have any choice.

Got it as a replacement for my broken ifp-895
rolleyes.gif

Cheers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back