FINALLY, a signal processing app (includes EQ) for your OS's audio output (Windows and Mac)!
Apr 23, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:
I haven't tried using it, because it requires you to have multiple sound devices installed on your system, and I only have one. It was added in Media Center 17.

In MC18 it is activated via File > Open Live, and supports WASAPI or ASIO.

You need to have at least two sound devices on your system to use it though - audio from whatever you set as the default Windows sound device (e.g. motherboard onboard sound chip) is looped through to your selected output device in Media Center. (e.g. USB DAC)

Wow, if only this feature was added to foobar2000 so I could use my carefully tweaked custom foobar2000 dolby headphone config (with HRTF & EQ compensation adjustments) I'd be in heaven, I'd just love to be able to play games with that config! Probably the nicest and most natural virtual surround sound one could possibly enjoy.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #17 of 26
Wow, if only this feature was added to foobar2000 so I could use my carefully tweaked custom foobar2000 dolby headphone config (with HRTF & EQ compensation adjustments) I'd be in heaven, I'd just love to be able to play games with that config! Probably the nicest and most natural virtual surround sound one could possibly enjoy.
Media Center has its own headphone plugin (though I think it is crossfeed rather than HRTF) very advanced EQ, and has VST support that lets you use other HRTF plugins such as Redline Monitor, bs2b, or TB Isone.

I don't know what latency is like when using this though, and I don't think Dolby Headphone is supported. (but Dolby Headphone sounds awful to me - it just adds a ton of reverb and sounds like you're in an empty room)

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #18 of 26
When I use headphones (HD-681 which have amazingly low bass but annoying treble) and other non-critical listening I use:
Foobar - VST wrapper for foobar, Electri-Q

I know you can get DIRAC but it seems expensive, maybe it's worth it? Let me know if you can try the eval, my main hifi setup is in storage still along with all the calibrated measurement microphones.

Of course there is REW which is mostly for Subs but I could be wrong.

Then there is the behringer gear, which you can mod to makr it sound pretty decent - see lampizator site etc.. dcx2496, deq2496, fbq...

There is another windows solution out there, I can think for now what its called.

Jul 15, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #19 of 26
It says on Hear homepage that it's incompatible with Windows 10. I'm having problems getting it to work so maybe that's why :s

I did get it to work a short while and the bass boost for my Stax headset was just incredible, I don't want to live without Hear so I have to figure out a way to make it work.
I'm using Asynchronous USB to connect to a DAC that's again connected to the stax amplifyer. I'm gonna try connecting with S/PDIF

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #20 of 26
Now J River's Media Center also offers this capability. You can use its ability to host plugins and then route your audio through it using its audio driver in your OS. I can now watch web videos and movies with perfectly corrected sound using Media Center (I'm using IK Multimedia ARC 2 plugin to correct my speakers/room, and for headphones using Tonebooster's Isone for natural sounding crossfeed/HRTF that sounds like speakers in front of you, as well as headphone correction/EQ). This is the most elegant and best sounding option currently available.

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #21 of 26
I did not find it possible to use Hear as a plugin for JRiver Media Center, but I guess you ment that the Media Center has it's own calibrations and possible plugins that I can use instead.
I played around with various settings and the sound is much improved now :) So thx! Still, I think the bass in hear equalizer was extremely good, but I will be exploring the possibilities in Media Center

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #22 of 26
How do I install EasyQ_v11.04 as a plugin? do I need the 32' version of JRiver?

I'm considering Tonebooster pack too :)

Do you or anyone else have a recommandation for gaming specific drivers? I guess I don't want crosstalk if I want to hear where the sounds are comming from

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #24 of 26
Is
Now J River's Media Center also offers this capability. You can use its ability to host plugins and then route your audio through it using its audio driver in your OS. I can now watch web videos and movies with perfectly corrected sound using Media Center (I'm using IK Multimedia ARC 2 plugin to correct my speakers/room, and for headphones using Tonebooster's Isone for natural sounding crossfeed/HRTF that sounds like speakers in front of you, as well as headphone correction/EQ). This is the most elegant and best sounding option currently available.

Is there an equivalent software to Tonebooster's Isone since that is unavailable now? Or likewise, is there anywhere that it can still be found?

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #26 of 26
I emailed Jeroen and this was his reply:

Hi Robert,

Thanks much for reaching out! Isone is still available. In fact isone v3 is now bundled with some other high quality plugins on the bustools 3 bundle:

www.toneboosters.com/tb_bustools_v3.html

Thanks again for your amazing support on the headfi forum!

Cheers
Jeroen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back