Finally, a high-quality Digital Recorder
Sep 28, 2004 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

austonia

Headphoneus Supremus
Sep 28, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 11
It's cool that this has digital output and is 24bit but it doesn't do 48khz or higher, the battery life is soso, and I'm not sure how the navigation will be on 1 line?

Sep 28, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 11
http://www.sonicsense.com/7seriesFAQ.htm
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 11
DanT

that PDaudio looked interesting until i saw that the 3.5mm input is S/PDIF coaxial or optical only. in other words, you're not just plugging a mic into that thing. You need to buy an A-D converter as well or use some other kind of source..

Sep 28, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
DanT

that PDaudio looked interesting until i saw that the 3.5mm input is S/PDIF coaxial or optical only. in other words, you're not just plugging a mic into that thing. You need to buy an A-D converter as well or use some other kind of source..

Yes the AD converter is the big thing behind the PDA lower you have a picture of the A/D alone you can still hold it in your hands
http://www.core-sound.com/HighResRec...s.html#MIC2496

pdaudio1.jpg
Mic2496_5.jpg

Sep 29, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 11
Edirol equipment is known NOT to be bit-perfect (check www.taperssection.com for various threads in regards to this). Plus, it's kind of useless for the hardcore taper since it lacks a digi IN which is definitely far more worthwhile for taping (sending a digi signal from the preamp or a/d box to the recorder).

And yes, taping gear can get expensive, i just bought a used pair of mics for $435 and currrently use at943's which cost $289 (mini-xlr terminated) and also own at853's which cost $169 (later were upgraded to xlr mini terminations for another $80 or so) with hyper cards, normal cards and omni elements (each pair of elements cost $80).

My Beyerdynamic MV-100 preamp cost me roughly $350 used and a Sony M1 DAT recorder which cost me $375 (which is cheap considering it goes for $800 brand new). Forget audio gear for playback, taping gear can get quite expensive. Some mics cost several grand and preamps, d/a converters and recorders can cost an arm and a leg. However, even with a low-fi rig (dat, battery box and sound professional mics), you can get some pretty spiffy recordings (if you plan on taping live concerts).

High end rig can consist of a recorder (or even a laptop), preamp, a/d and of course the mics. Don't forget all that cable too.
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm not too impressed. I'd live without digital in if it had high quality mic inputs, i.e., XLRs and phantom power, but it has neither. I'd still take the NJB3 over it - lacks an adequate mic pre, but has digital in, good quality line-in A-D, and 30+ hours of record time, and it's a great MP3 player on top of that. Edirol should be able to do better. But it is an improvement on MD for a beginner (if the price is comparable).

Sep 30, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie
I'm not too impressed. I'd live without digital in if it had high quality mic inputs, i.e., XLRs and phantom power, but it has neither. I'd still take the NJB3 over it - lacks an adequate mic pre, but has digital in, good quality line-in A-D, and 30+ hours of record time, and it's a great MP3 player on top of that. Edirol should be able to do better. But it is an improvement on MD for a beginner (if the price is comparable).

Sorry bro, i would never use mic in on any recorder, especially the njb3 or any other HD-based recorder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back