Finalizing a Berkeley date!
Feb 12, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
We've got 8 votes for the 19th, 9 votes for the 26th, and 12 for both, so it looks like the 26th wins.

men, that was worse than the November elections! The 19th had an early lead and all of a sudden.... who stuffed the ballot? I hope I won't have to wait four more years to meet you guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Next time I'll bring my AKG K340 (they are waiting for me in London right now). Have fun!

Feb 12, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #32 of 43
I just moved to berkeley this january, and was wondering whether it was possible to get to San Mateo (is that where the meet is?) by Public transportation. Or if people were carpooling and had room for one more that would be great. I am kinda new to the head-fi thing and don't have anything worth bringing. Unless sombody is interested in the new Creative labs PCMCIA card. However because of this I would be willing to cover somebody else's covercharge(assuming they were bringing stuff).

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #33 of 43
BART will get you from Berkeley to Millbrae. CalTrain can get you from the same Millbrae station to downtown San Mateo. Millbrae is just a few freeway minutes from San Mateo, so it shouldn't be hard to find someone willing to make the detour to save you the CalTrain hop. (I may or may not be in a position to volunteer to do that myself -- I'll have to wait until closer to the meet to be sure.)

Feb 12, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #34 of 43
toor - I'm also planning on going to the meet and live in Berkeley, so hopefully someone from around this area who is driving down to San Mateo can take us along. I also don't have a car... and most likely won't go to the meet if I had to take the BART there.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #35 of 43
I just went up to San Mateo and checked out the place this evening. The room is of good size with duplex outlets like every three feet. There's at least 10 to 12duplex outlets in the room. She has three folding tables and some chairs. If we run out of the room, we could use the outside room/hallway area where there are lots of counter space. (Just need to move some junk).

The stairway is kind of narrow, it will not accomodate two way traffic if someone's carrying equipment. Otherwise, it's a nice place. If you get sick of listening, you can always sit downstairs and have a cup of coffee/tea/pearl milk tea.
biggrin.gif

So we'll say the official time is 1:00pm on Feb 26 until whatever.

RAYS Tea Time
138 E. Third Ave. (One block East of El Camino Real)
San Mateo
650-348-7233

Plenty of parking between 3rd and 4th Ave. We can open the back door so people can get their equipment in from the parking lot. Or you can try parking on the street in front.

I'll probably bring:
ok2000's HP-100A
Cosonance Cyber 20
Rudistor RP5cav
Sennheiser HD600/Cardas

Anyone mind me plugging in my amps to your front end? That way I don't have to tear my system down.

Feb 13, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #36 of 43
As in any of these meets, we could always use extra interconnect cables and power outlet strips. If you have RCA Y-adapters, we could run multiple amps off of one source. I'll bring a headphone amp A-B comparison switchbox (and if Morsel would make it, I'm certain she could bring hers as well).

See you all at the meet.

Feb 13, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
As in any of these meets, we could always use extra interconnect cables and power outlet strips. If you have RCA Y-adapters, we could run multiple amps off of one source.

I can bring two additional powerstrips, one RCA Y-adapters, and at least 3 pairs of interconnects.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
I'll bring a headphone amp A-B comparison switchbox (and if Morsel would make it, I'm certain she could bring hers as well).

I've been meaning to ask you to borrow one (or build me one) so I can compare different amps at home.

Feb 14, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91
I just went up to San Mateo and checked out the place this evening. The room is of good size with duplex outlets like every three feet. There's at least 10 to 12duplex outlets in the room. She has three folding tables and some chairs. If we run out of the room, we could use the outside room/hallway area where there are lots of counter space. (Just need to move some junk).

I swung by this evening as well. I was surprised/impressed with the size of the place...they were doing a yoga/pilates class up there, and the almond tapioca tea was great!

If people are up for it, we could make the main room a listening only (limited talking) space, and use the foyer area and downstairs for socializing and loud, arm-waving debates about tubes vs. solid-state, Sennheiser vs. Grado, etc.

Quote:

Anyone mind me plugging in my amps to your front end? That way I don't have to tear my system down.

No problem with that for me, but there will be much better sources there than what I'm bringing. However, I was really hoping to try out your Genesis Digital Lens...any chance I could talk you into bringing it?

I'm going to go ahead and move the finalized list/info/etc. to its own (properly titled) thread.

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
I was really hoping to try out your Genesis Digital Lens...any chance I could talk you into bringing it?

Not to sound snobbish or anything, but looking at your equipment list, I think the Digital Lens might be an overkill and wrong application.

It was designed to be placed between the CD Transport and DAC to elimate jitter (to a certain point). I am assuming you are running your system off a computer? If you are utilizing the CD Rom drive in the computer, I would recommend you use the fund to purchase a stand-along CD player/transport with a sturdier transport mechanism instead.

The Digital Lens' technology is about 10 years old. It is running at 16-bit. It could up-convert to 20-bit. But the "extra" 4-bit of information are just artificially created. The good thing is that in one of its modes it creates some background "ambiance" that makes the CD sound more LP like. The Lens works well with my digital fron end which are about 10 years old. I am not sure if it make any significant improvement with newer digital front ends as I am sure the jitter issue has been addressed.

The bottomline is I am too lazy to pull the Lens off my main system.
icon10.gif
There's no room in the car anyways with my wife, baby, and the stroller. However, you can convince me to bring it by buying me the new Honda Odyssey.
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

I think the Digital Lens might be an overkill and wrong application...It was designed to be placed between the CD Transport and DAC to elimate jitter (to a certain point). I am assuming you are running your system off a computer?...I am not sure if it make any significant improvement with newer digital front ends as I am sure the jitter issue has been addressed.

That's actually why I'm so curious about the Lens. Opinions vary on the amount of jitter in a computer-based system, and I believe that unit could provide a little 'clarity' one way or the other...they're still too expensive on the used market (for me) to pick one up just for experiment's sake.

Quote:

The bottomline is I am too lazy to pull the Lens off my main system.
icon10.gif

No worries...I've got two kids myself, I certainly understand the need to set priorities.

Feb 15, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dipswitch
Count me in too! I'm not sure what equipment I can bring, maybe my Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 if someone's interested....

Please do, I need a source as I am only bringing my three amps + headphone due to lack of trunk space. (Space taken up by baby stroller)
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back