Final stage: Down to two cameras- canon or panasonic
May 5, 2008 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jumpinjohn1234

500+ Head-Fier
Hi I am looking for a good Point and Shoot camera, currently Ive decided between a canonsd 870 is or a panasion panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5. I thinking of stepping into the panasonic line because the camera has a lot of nice features- 10x zoom and can record movies in HD which is a plus. Also they both have wide angle. Both seem small and pocketable. I know that canon has a great reputation and is always the way to go for P&S

1. any thoughts of the Canon SD870is VS the panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5?

THANKS!

May 5, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 12
My experience with cameras is mostly of the Digital SLR variety as opposed to Point and Shoot, but I would go with Canon. I think Canons are usually more likely to be good, reliable cameras.

May 5, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 12
If those features are make or break for the panasonic, get it. Otherwise, stick with the Canon.

May 5, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 12
As said above, get the Canon unless those 2 features are deal-breakers. I've found the Canons much more intuitive, and there's a larger user community out there for them than the Panasonic.

May 5, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 12
If it was me, I would always go for the Canon. Panasonic has a rather strange way to deal with higher ISO-settings. Noise is normal but they try to cover it up and you get this weird smudgy image with a lot of the detail lost. I prefer a little noise over that any time.
If you care more for the specs, well, than Panasonic wins there.

May 5, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 12
The SD870 is a wonderful camera--nice colors with decent macro for a p&s. The image stabilization is great when you're using lower ISO settings, even with zoom.
It doesn't have HD video capture, but has good video quality.
My friend has one because he's in both the digital and video photography clubs, and he says that the video quality is sufficient for video photography club.

May 6, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 12
I saw in the Canon thread that some Canon p/s cameras can be easily modded to shoot RAW. That sounds like an awesome way to get the best picture for your money. You might want to look into that.

May 6, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 12
I have the Canon 850is and i love it. I find it very easy to use compared to other point and shoot cameras and the picture quality is quite good. I have not used the Panasonic though.

here are some pics ive taken with very little settings adjustments.
1e9aog.jpg

xd8tp4.jpg

kc1amc.jpg

May 6, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Canon, Canon, Canon
biggrin.gif

I am a huge Canon fan. I shoot SLR and have bought my wife a couple of their p/s over the years. They have always been very reliable, durable and produce great image quality. Her little p/s produces +90% of the image quality of my 40d. You will never go wrong with Canon!

Good resource here Small Compact Digitals by Canon - Canon Digital Photography Forums

May 6, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 12
I would say go with Canon as well. Especially in the P&S category. But when u get into DSLR, Sony, Canon, Nikon all make terrific camera's, thats where making a decision gets tougher.

IMO between Canon and Panasonic for P&S, its no contest, Canon all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back