final questions: ER4P or SA6?
Mar 20, 2008 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DeTinux

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

First of all: thanks for all help you already gave me. Today the time has come that I buy a new IEM and it's going to be either the Etymōtic Research ER4P or the Sleek Audio SA6.

I'm not interested any more in the Triple-Fi 10's ($540 to obtain here(!!), rather unbalanced, very uncomfortable; I tried them at a guy from university); it's only between those to.

It's for classical solo piano. My main concern is that the Sleek treble++ doesn't go as far as the Ety. I can buy customs for the Ety's too from Westone, which is a plus. The fact that you can change the sound signature of the Sleek is a pro - naturally - so I can easily figure out what I want for the IEMs I buy after those (if any
rolleyes.gif
).

Is there a major quality difference between the Sleek and the Ety?

Thanks,

DeTinux

ps. Elnero, tnmike1, antonyfirst and others: thanks for all your advice!

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTinux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a major quality difference between the Sleek and the Ety?

I don't know if I'd call it a major quality difference because many feel the Ety's still run with the best of them but they do sound very different so it's really going to come down to personal preference.

The SA6's have a smoother, more full-bodied sound that is still very detailed and fun to listen to. They do pace, rhythm and timing (PRaT) very well and they also have a very nice large stage with good instrument placement and separation. Larger scale works and dynamics don't seem to phase them.

From my perspective the Ety's are a very hit or miss phone whereas with the VQ system there's a better chance you'll be able to tune the SA6's to please.

In regards to the cables, both are user replaceable. The Ety's are quite microphonic, the SA6's worn straight down are as well but much less so but with the 360 degree swivel you can flip the cord up over your ears reducing or eliminating microphonics.

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 9
The SA6's have a 30 day money back guarantee(15% restocking fee though). Because of that, they're a no-brainer IMO. Get the Sleeks, if you don't find them detailed enough, send them back and get the ER4P's.

I just bought some IM716's(close to the ER4P sound) and find them lacking in the bass department. Sleeks are on my list next.

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 9
I mailed Etymotic and they told me you have to send your IEM in when the cable is broke. They don't sell cables as an accesory. That means I go for the Sleek. Thanks, guys! I'll post my impressions once I've got them!

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 9
Why not ATH-ESW9? They aren't IEMs but portable cans, but they are very pretty and small. Just cool looking. I'm waiting to receive mine. I'll report about their sound.

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not ATH-ESW9? They aren't IEMs but portable cans, but they are very pretty and small. Just cool looking. I'm waiting to receive mine. I'll report about their sound.

I want IEMs... they are for portable use and I don't feel comfortable wearing cans on the streets where I live (Amsterdam). The big plus on the Sleeks is that you can change the sound signature. I can figure out what I will be looking for in the feature and then report what bass port and treble trips I use and then I can get new advice.

Actually, I did order the ESW9 in january, but my retailer told me they couldn't get them... where did you got yours? (This is going in the wrong direction, but I can't control it... this is why everybody here is welcomed with 'sorry about your wallet')

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTinux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want IEMs... they are for portable use and I don't feel comfortable wearing cans on the streets where I live (Amsterdam). The big plus on the Sleeks is that you can change the sound signature. I can figure out what I will be looking for in the feature and then report what bass port and treble trips I use and then I can get new advice.

Actually, I did order the ESW9 in january, but my retailer told me they couldn't get them... where did you got yours? (This is going in the wrong direction, but I can't control it... this is why everybody here is welcomed with 'sorry about your wallet')

You can buy them at importers like PriceJapan or Bluetin.
Since you already ditched the Triple.fi, the Sleek SA6 seem a reasonable, cheaper alternative.

Anyway the ESW9 should be a grown up version of Triple fi (bigger soundstage, crisper highs and a more transparent presentation overall). This is what reliable members told me.
And they cost less than Triple.fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back