Final JH3A revision Impressions
Aug 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #166 of 254
My JH3a turned up today, and I am very happy.  A little frustrated with Craig at Whiplash who promised me 3 - 4 weeks turnaround on my digital IC and hybrid Twag / Twcu iem cables.  Paid June 23rd and still don't have them (last update from Craig was shipping last Friday) and I'm away on business next week so likely won't show up in time to use with my DX100 as a portable rig on that trip.

So listening to the 3a through my PC right now and am blown away even though it's only a USB connection - wrong end of a long day so not really appreciating the nuances of the music but have Dragonforce's Valley of the Damned bombarding my ears and am hearing details that I just never knew were there - this is one serious piece of kit!

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #167 of 254
Quote:
My JH3a turned up today, and I am very happy.  A little frustrated with Craig at Whiplash who promised me 3 - 4 weeks turnaround on my digital IC and hybrid Twag / Twcu iem cables.  Paid June 23rd and still don't have them (last update from Craig was shipping last Friday) and I'm away on business next week so likely won't show up in time to use with my DX100 as a portable rig on that trip.

So listening to the 3a through my PC right now and am blown away even though it's only a USB connection - wrong end of a long day so not really appreciating the nuances of the music but have Dragonforce's Valley of the Damned bombarding my ears and am hearing details that I just never knew were there - this is one serious piece of kit!

well let me know when you get that Twag hybrid cable.  I want to know how it sound but as I read them it really enhance bass.  So I opt for Moon audio Silver dragon JH3A cable instead.  Mine set should arrive soon too. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #168 of 254
Quote:
well let me know when you get that Twag hybrid cable.  I want to know how it sound but as I read them it really enhance bass.  So I opt for Moon audio Silver dragon JH3A cable instead.  Mine set should arrive soon too. 

The enhanced bass works for me as I am listening to a lot of power / speed / traditional metal, so that was a plus of the hybrid, but will certainly provide listening impressions when it arrives.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #170 of 254
Quote:
You mean all the sloppy guitar playing or the editing to get the sloppy guitar playing to sound half way decent?? :wink:

biggrin.gif

Yes, it may have been a little more 'honest' in places than the band intended.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #171 of 254
Quote:
You mean all the sloppy guitar playing or the editing to get the sloppy guitar playing to sound half way decent?? :wink:

Hey now, Valley of the Damned is the only DragonForce CD actually worth listening to, apparently when they first formed the band they knew how to write actual Music...its weird to think, i know, but its true.

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #172 of 254
Quote:
Hey now, Valley of the Damned is the only DragonForce CD actually worth listening to, apparently when they first formed the band they knew how to write actual Music...its weird to think, i know, but its true.

I am not complaining about their writing capabilities.

I am intrigued by there looking like a sloppy joe that was served with a ladel instead of a spoon and spilled all over the plate and floor sloppy. It is downright heidious. Aparently they never took Paul Gilbert's fast and Clean shredding course :wink:

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #173 of 254
well I just got the JH3A setup today.  sound really good.  However, I have a really hardtime to remove the cable from the earpiece to change to another cable.  Do you guy have any tip or trick as I don't want to use the brute force on it.  Also since there are 2 jacks on each side that make it harder to pull out as I'm afraid of bending the other jack.  Please let me know.

Dan

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #174 of 254
New owner of JH3a here.

Black eye Blue for the left, red eye red for the right.

Mother of Pearl inlay.

I work in a noisy environment.. i put them on.. silence!

I had my impressions done by Mark Oscarson from Audiologist hearing center in Edina. the company is listed under UE.

No fit issues on arrival. no bubles in the shell.

sound is very linear. I have owned a pair of monster miles davis tributes and this system definetly has a flater freq respnse. Unlike the story's of JH16 pro being bass heavy, even without the JH-3a (have the adapter) it is defintely not bass heavy.

So far so good!

Listening to them at work.. will update as I get more impression. Definetly digging the sound isolation...

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #176 of 254
figgie,

Nice to see another MN guy.  I live in Minnetonka.  What are you using for a front end with your JH3A?

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #178 of 254
Quote:
You must be a basshead... 
basshead.gif

actually far from a basshead.

For instance, one album where an increase in bass makes the album sound sloppy is Metallica's, In Justice for all. The Floor tom in Ulrich's drum kit is recorded with a boost already. With the JH3-a-less JH-16pro, the bass sounds as it was intended. Definetly not overwhelming or underwhelming, I would say spot on. Again these are not the "normal" JH16 pro but the JH-16 included with the JH3a.

the one thing I noticed is the bass extension. it defineltly goes down lowwww. Listening to the avengers movies, lots of LFE useage in that movie.

tf1216

I am feeding USB right now, doing an experiment with phone (nexus S) to try a direct feed into the JH-3a without having a DAC as the JH-3a has one already :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back