Final JH3A revision Impressions
Jul 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #151 of 254
Quote:

Did you get any interim communications?  I'm just coming up on 4 weeks since ordering and no acknowledgement other than the initial receipt and the website status of 'Payment Received'.  Was going to check in with them, but if silence is normal then I guess I'll just have to stay patient.

I heard nothing until I received tracking numbers by email at about 5 weeks. Arrived exactly 6 weeks to the day they received my impressions.

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #154 of 254
okay, just placed the order now and bought the moon audio line out cable as well as the1/8 jack adapter.

I'm just a bit confused about how I connect it to a computer, what kind of cable to I need to have it working with a mac mini?

thx

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #155 of 254
Quote:
yes please upload the pic.  I want to see how different from the stock cable and moon audio cable when you wear it.  Also, I try to figure out what is the best way to hook it up for portable and make it digital.   How do you chain them?

Sorry for the craptastic pictures - I took them in a rush this morning before work, using my IPhone. I'll try to take better ones if you wish, this weekend.

I didn't get a chance to take a pic of how they look being worn, sorry...

As for a digital signal, my chain is as follows:

(M.A.: Moon Audio)

IPod 7g -> 
M.A. Silver Dragon v3 LOD to USB ->
CLAS ->
M.A. Black Dragon RCA to TRSS ->
JH-3A ->
M.A. Silver Dragon 3a IEM

As for being portable, that is highly arguable, as this brick is so big, it doesn't transport very easily. As such, I keep it next to my full-blown listening station. Ideally, some day, I can eliminate the CLAS and go with a different portable source with a digital output and sufficient storage to hold my collection. That would be a great day!

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #156 of 254
Can't the JH-3a accept the USB input from the Ipod? Or does it sound that bad?

relating to the JH-3a, from a hardware perspective, the USB function is not part of the CD47048 DSP. That is a seperate chip.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #157 of 254
@garetjax1 thank you very much for the pic. (nice artwork by the way). The connector where it plug into the iem is tadbit longer than stock cable. Can it be curl back your ear easily? Also how is the sound quality in term of added sound stage? Does it make soundstage bigger (out of the head) feeling?

@figgie I did down the manual from cirrus site, after browse through it. The software is amazing. It can do everything and it has both gui and command line script interface. The tough part is to get a hold of actual software itself.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #158 of 254
Quote:
@garetjax1 thank you very much for the pic. (nice artwork by the way). The connector where it plug into the iem is tadbit longer than stock cable. Can it be curl back your ear easily? Also how is the sound quality in term of added sound stage? Does it make soundstage bigger (out of the head) feeling?

Thanks! Yah, here is a better pic of the artwork... you can also compare the connectors. Yes, the Moon Audio IEM connector is a little stiffer and protudes a little more. It isn't quite as flexible, so at first you notice it when wearing them, but then the music starts playing and you forget everything else. It's literally not an issue after the first few seconds.

I'm always a little leary about sharing impressions of sound quality, as I don't know that I have the appropriate vocabulary or technical depth to convey my impressions, so I will usually stick with safe one-liners. I can't say that I have noticed much improvement in soundstage, but I've only got < 5 hours of listening time. I will say that there was an immediate and very noticeable improvement in clarity on some material. HTH!

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #159 of 254
Quote:
@figgie I did down the manual from cirrus site, after browse through it. The software is amazing. It can do everything and it has both gui and command line script interface. The tough part is to get a hold of actual software itself.

Dan

indeed. That is why it is trademarked and has numerous patents on it.

Not only that. It can actually support NATIVELY Dolby Digital and DTS (all the way to lossless on both) along with THX and a couple more things. Those require seperate licenses. They used to have the software available to download but with all those licenses..the resellers (ie think digikey, mouser etc) provide that software with the eval boards.

One thing glancing over the documentation is that I did not see a way to disable/sleep all inputs except the one in use. that would explain the battery life of only 6 hours as the DSP is constantly running. With that said, more than likely that would be a custom firmware which would require assembly coding to write that routine up. That "function"would require CLIDE. 32 bit register I would say to get right, probably 240 man hours in development time (ground up).

The USB sound. Again, quick glance through the docs, more than likely a CLK issue on the USB to DAI. the DSP gets the serial stream from the USB on a seperate input than the SPDIF (coax).

Of course that is making a huge assumption that the USB "input" has ALL the same primitives (ie filters outside of Cirrus lingo) that the SPDIF does...

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #160 of 254
Yeah after further reading to rebuild the firmware from scratch is too much time consuming.  However, if we have the software we might be able to dump current firmware and make change with it then reupload it.  From what I read it requires assembly language and C programing knowledge.  However, with DSP Composer you can tweak about 70% of the features like reverb level to increase 3D like sound.  You can choose TruSurrondXT function also.  Anyway those are just the dream since there is no way to get the software and dump the firmware out. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #161 of 254
Hi I just found this new product and I think it will be the setup for jh3a as semi portable.

http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-24-bit-96-khz-usb-to-coaxial-converter-p-197.html

I'm thinking about just chaining this with RCA-to-TRRS directly in JH3A. I think this Should sound better than normal analog LOD. What do you guy think?

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #163 of 254
Anyone know if the JH-16 supplied with the JH3A can be refitted like other custom IEM, I'm thinking about selling my bundle but I need first to know if the usual companies will offer that service?

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #164 of 254
Quote:
Anyone know if the JH-16 supplied with the JH3A can be refitted like other custom IEM, I'm thinking about selling my bundle but I need first to know if the usual companies will offer that service?

JH does not offer that service.

Unique melody can.
There was one more company that did that I am drawing a blank on.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #165 of 254
Quote:

why do you decide to sell it that fast? how long have you had this JH3A setup?  Just wonder is there any problem with the amp?  Since I'm still waiting for my order to arrive. So I need to make sure to test all the important function of it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back