Final JH3A revision Impressions
Dec 11, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #31 of 254
It's unfortunate that all the difficulties in getting the Jh3a to production dampened the enthusiasm for this unit. I would guess that were it not for that this thread would be flooded with impressions by early adopters. I would like to say that I'm still very eager to hear more impressions. All the jh3a threads became dominated by the issues concerning the production of the unit. Please let us, at last, hear what the unit sounds like from varied perspectives. I'm sure I not the only one who has been hovering over this thread waiting to hear more about the sound and considering a purchase. 

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #32 of 254

Quote:

Have you compared it to other configurations such as a standard JH16 with other top amps to see how they compare?

This!

Ever since I switched from my HM-801 to my Cowon J3 I have been very careful on what recommendations I value here on head-fi...Many people seem to think high price = high sound quality.

That being said I'm very happy with my JH16 Pro and have been very intrigued by the JH3A in its original form as it seemed to be a revolutionary step. Instead the new version just seems to be an evolutionary step on what is already readily available technology. 

Hence my question: How much does it really sound better then just the JH16 alone?

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #34 of 254
I haven't really been following the whole JH3a thing, but I was wondering; owning a JH16, is it possible to just buy the JH3a, or do they only sell them together? That's the only option I see on the website. 

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #35 of 254

Quote:
 I posted pictures of the inside on the other thread but here are a couple more.
It seems like there is an opamp of some sort like the iBasso amps held in place with a cable tie, i wonder if i can change it over.

Thanks, these pictures confirm my thought that he/someone else soldered all those parts by hand, that would explain the lack of quality check and the unstability some people here reported.
I wouldn't be surprised to know there're some opams here, the jh3a also works as an amp.

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #36 of 254

Quote:
Thanks, these pictures confirm my thought that he/someone else soldered all those parts by hand, that would explain the lack of quality check and the unstability some people here reported.
I wouldn't be surprised to know there're some opams here, the jh3a also works as an amp.

I really doubt anyone would be able to solder all the parts by hand, maybe most were but just look all all those pins on the Cirrus Logic chip, would be very difficult to do by hand.
And i'm sure we all know the 3A is an amp and the reason for the opamps but i mentioned this because in this case it looks like it can be changed by the user as it is not soldered.

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #37 of 254

Quote:

I really doubt anyone would be able to solder all the parts by hand, maybe most were but just look all all those pins on the Cirrus Logic chip, would be very difficult to do by hand.
And i'm sure we all know the 3A is an amp and the reason for the opamps but i mentioned this because in this case it looks like it can be changed by the user as it is not soldered.

well it's not that difficult if you have done smd soldering before, but looking at those pins I wonder if the person who soldered those is experienced. Especially r103 in the 3rd picture from the left is obviously crooked.
Sound quality aside, customers have the right to ask for well soldered pcbs, not some sloppy work like this.

About opam rolling, I'd rather not venture. Each opam has its own spec and you don't even have the scheme of the jh3a to begin with.
Btw didn't you void the warranty open up your jh3a like that?

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #38 of 254

Quote:
well it's not that difficult if you have done smd soldering before, but looking at those pins I wonder if the person who soldered those is experienced. Especially r103 in the 3rd picture from the left is obviously crooked.
Sound quality aside, customers have the right to ask for well soldered pcbs, not some sloppy work like this.

About opam rolling, I'd rather not venture. Each opam has its own spec and you don't even have the scheme of the jh3a to begin with.
Btw didn't you void the warranty open up your jh3a like that?

You asked for internal pictures so if i voided the warantee i will blame you for it
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #40 of 254

Quote:
I too would also like to know how much better the JH-3A sounds than a JH16 without the unit.

Then you would have to ask what said JH16 is being driven by which could include an infinite spectrum of possibilities for comparison.  You can't just ask what a JH16 sounds like by itself.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #42 of 254

Quote:
Then you would have to ask what said JH16 is being driven by which could include an infinite spectrum of possibilities for comparison.  You can't just ask what a JH16 sounds like by itself.

My JH16s are currently being driven by a DACport, SOLO+Pico Slim or SOLO+Rx MKII, using all Apple Lossless files. Thanks in advance.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #43 of 254

Guys, consider budget here.  I feel if you want the most from a JH3A you will have to use its coax input opposed to the USB input.  I briefly did a comparison between the two inputs and I feel the music comes to life more with the coax input.

That could potentially add expense if you need a USB to SPDIF converter.  On top of that, you will need to purchase the Moon Audio cable to go from a converter to the JH3A or make your own.  Then on top of that, if you decide you want to spend money on a USB cable add that into the bill of materials.  

I am trying to determine right now if I hear a difference between an expensive USB cable and a cheap one.  I swear I can.  What stinks is it's not a blind test.  I am going to try the hibernation mode in jplay.  Results soon...  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back