FINAL IMPRESSIONS: HORNET AFTER 500 HOURS
Feb 21, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #137 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep, the RSA stuff i've owned is always dead quiet, good stuff.

Silence is a good thing!
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #138 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gives you a reason to believe in Burn-IN does'nt it?

I dunno.

Like I said. The changes have been so subtle I'm not sure whether it's just placebo.

I really need to burn mine in for 500 hours, then compare it with a brand new one.

... as of now... it's clocking up some hours, but there would be only 24 hours between listening sessions max.

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #139 of 159
The bass will come back, just wait till the 400 hour mark, and everything will sound just incredible.
basshead.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #140 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass will come back, just wait till the 400 hour mark, and everything will sound just incredible.
basshead.gif

Well - I have the iAudio and Hornet both powered by mains power running 24/7. I only use battery when I need it portable.

I'm approaching the 150 hour mark now.

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #141 of 159
Im awaiting the arrival of a Hornet in the mail (Yey!)

What's the general opinion of which is best out of these burn-in methods?

A - Let Hornet burn-in uninterupted & unattended until 400hrs.
B - Use Hornet as normal & when not in use continue to burn-in unattended.
C - Use as normal until 400hrs arrives.
D - It makes no difference to the end result.

I will probably go with B, but just wondered if there's any drawbacks?..
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #142 of 159
I using hornet with the C option you mentioned . I like to see how the amp signature changes with burn in. I am bout 60 hrs now and i have lost the bass i had before .. Hope it comes back later. I believe the sweet spot is about 400 hr

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #144 of 159
Just stepping in to confirm (with the others) that the bass comes back in. I had the identical experience and, in fact, Jahn summed it up perfectly:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep, it comes wooly, then tightens up, then enrichens. pretty odd, eh? well that's the way it was for my Hornet at least after i got the "M" mod.

Note that my experience is from a stock "M" Hornet, not the mod.

[EDIT] Please also note that I burned the amp in (as I do with everything) using option "C". Just let it play and enjoy!

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #146 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Err I thought that a non-'M' Hornet that has been modded to an M would (should?) be the same as a Hornet that is already M?

it is - you just get a shorter burn in time because a non-"M" has everything already greased up and thus you only need to wait for that big honkin' new cap to break in (plus other stuff, if there is other stuff, i don't want to assume of course).

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #147 of 159
Oooo I see now, Glendale was saying that the burn-in times are probably different for the M and non-M versions and hence why he was stating his experiences are from a stock M. Thanks for clearing that up Jahn

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #148 of 159
FINAL IMPRESSIONS:

OK, I have done about 500 hours on the Hornet now.
Impression: I feel as if I have gone on a roller-coaster ride and now I'm at the start again.

I'll keep it short and sweet. I felt my Hornet go through a few changes throughout the time I have had it, but at the end of the day... it sounds as sweet and as dynamic as the day I first had it. My bass has come back. My treble and mids have mellowed in nicely and I get the "wow" factor that I had on day one.

I really really want to compare to a brand new one to see if my observations are true.

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #149 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just stepping in to confirm (with the others) that the bass comes back in. I had the identical experience and, in fact, Jahn summed it up perfectly:

Note that my experience is from a stock "M" Hornet, not the mod.

[EDIT] Please also note that I burned the amp in (as I do with everything) using option "C". Just let it play and enjoy!

A stock Hornet is not an "M" Hornet. the "M" version is the mod.

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #150 of 159
IIRC the currently produced Hornet (ie: the one you'd get if you just called up Ray and ordered one) is the Hornet "m" with the M mod being the default configuration, so in that sense it is the stock Hornet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back