FINAL IMPRESSIONS: HORNET AFTER 500 HOURS
Mar 7, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #151 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC the currently produced Hornet (ie: the one you'd get if you just called up Ray and ordered one) is the Hornet "m" with the M mod being the default configuration, so in that sense it is the stock Hornet.

yeah that could get confusing... does ray still produce the original hornet??

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #152 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah that could get confusing... does ray still produce the original hornet??

Nope. No longer. There were roughly 100 "original" Hornets made (a few more I believe, but I'm not sure of the exact cutoff).

If someone has a version they're not sure of, if it has an "M" inscribed on the back, then it is an M-Hornet. If not, then check the caps. If it has Panasonic caps but no "M" on the back, then it's the interim "stock" version without the M-mod. If it has Nichicon caps and no "M", then it is the original (very warm/"tubey"/close-up) Hornet.

A current amp would have the Panasonic caps + "M" on the back.

When in doubt, contact Ray.

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #154 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the Panasonic cap a blue/purple color? While the Nichicon was a black?

Something like that, although I'd look for the associated printing/branding as a better method of confirmation.

May 3, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #156 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any new Hornet Lovers? Bringing this back from the dead!

Glad you asked. My Hornet has over 300 estimated hours (haven't been keeping exact track of this). It controls my HD650s with great precision. I suppose the real litmus test (imho) is whether or not I forget the equipment and experience the performance. One good indication of this (for me) is increased frequency of listening to new software (even if its actually old stuff I rarely listen to) and discovering stuff.

The Hornet has entirely exceeded my expectations.

-m

May 3, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #157 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you asked. My Hornet has over 300 estimated hours (haven't been keeping exact track of this). It controls my HD650s with great precision. I suppose the real litmus test (imho) is whether or not I forget the equipment and experience the performance. One good indication of this (for me) is increased frequency of listening to new software (even if its actually old stuff I rarely listen to) and discovering stuff.

The Hornet has entirely exceeded my expectations.

-m

That little bugger sounds sweeeeeeeet! Don't SHE!!!
280smile.gif

May 3, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #158 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That little bugger sounds sweeeeeeeet! Don't SHE!!!
280smile.gif

Absofreakinglutly!
600smile.gif

I'm at work now; the Zune is playing Cassandra Wilson (now Leo Kottke (now Richard Thompson--oh never mind))-->Hornet-->HD650s

Keeps me sane!
wink.gif

(Hd650 veil? What veil? There ain't no stinkin veil!
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

May 3, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #159 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absofreakinglutly!
600smile.gif

I'm at work now; the Zune is playing Cassandra Wilson (now Leo Kottke (now Richard Thompson--oh never mind))-->Hornet-->HD650s

Keeps me sane!
wink.gif

(Hd650 veil? What veil? There ain't no stinkin veil!
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Cassandra Wilson, Nina Simone, Maysa, etc. RULE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back