Final decision: cheap, closed cans
Jan 17, 2006 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HermesPanduck

New Head-Fier
This is the situation I am currently in: I need cheap (<£40), closed cans for everyday home and travel use (unamped) through an MP3 player. They do not need to be portable and I would prefer circumaural pads for comfort.

I currently have:

PX100 - love the sound quality but very uncomfortable after an hour's use.
AKG K14P (earbuds) - good for portable use but not much bass
Panasonic RPHJE50 (canalphones) - almost never use them because they hurt my ears.

One problem is that here in the UK, it's hard to find places that sell decent headphones (even online). My main concern is sound quality, but other important factors include isolation, comfort and bass: not the kind of muffled booming bass from a subwoofer, but the kind of bass that means I can clearly hear a bass guitar (I mainly listen to rock music).

I've done a fair bit of research on Head-Fi and have narrowed it down to the following headphones.

HD202 (£18) - bassy
images

HD212 (£30) - even more bass
images

HD205 (£25) - new, so not many reviews
images

At the moment, I leaning towards the HD205s because the others seem to have bloated bass. I'm also open to other suggestions!

Thanks in advance.

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 8
I have a pair of HD205 and they seem a bit big to be going out in. Also, they have quite a long, thin and easily tangled cable. In fact, it continually curls up which could be a pain mobile.

The sound is hefty but not as extended as I am used to. The imaging seems slightly condensed and they do actually sound closed in. It's not so noticeable until you change headphones though. They are tight on the head.

Having said that, they sound really solid and would be good for rock/pop imo. Use them with an amp and the bass tightens up a bit too.

Extremely good value in the UK.

Ian

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Portability is not an issue for me, but you mentioned they are tight: how long can you keep them on without feeling uncomfortable? Does the fact that they rest on the ears mean that isolation is reduced?

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by HermesPanduck
Portability is not an issue for me, but you mentioned they are tight: how long can you keep them on without feeling uncomfortable? Does the fact that they rest on the ears mean that isolation is reduced?

I've worn them for an hour but your ears start to feel hot and the pressure is strong. I'm not sure about pulling them apart to loosen the grip. It's plasticky and it may change the bass quality.

Isolation is fairly good.

The spindly lead is a pain.

Ian

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 8
If you don't mind the long cord and if your MP3 player is reasonably powerful, then you should consider going with the HD201 and saving a little money. Unlike the HD202 et al., it's circumaural. The HD205 might be better for all I know but the HD201 is the only decent closed can I've owned in that price range.

EDIT: There is not much pressure on the head but one could wish for better isolation.

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat
If you don't mind the long cord and if your MP3 player is reasonably powerful, then you should consider going with the HD201 and saving a little money. Unlike the HD202 et al., it's circumaural. The HD205 might be better for all I know but the HD201 is the only decent closed can I've owned in that price range.

EDIT: There is not much pressure on the head but one could wish for better isolation.

hd201 is probably a good choice. i had hd202 before, not circumaural and that comfortable, sound only decent.

Jan 19, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Definitely consider HD-201, the bass is a little lean, but it's an incredible set of cans for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back