Final D8000 pro worthy upgrade from HD800S?
Feb 17, 2022 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HeroicShart

New Head-Fier
Let me preface by saying I love my HD800S, and feel like these are my endgame, But I've been seeing reviews about how great the D8000 pros are, and it's tempting to get them. There are no local shops in my area that even have these to try out so if I do ever get them, I will go in blind based on reviews. I've found them on the website headphones, and are going for a somewhat decent price for them being used, so it's tempting. The reason why I find this tempting is because of the neutral sound output it has, similarly to how the HD800S are neutral. I'm not looking for a headphone that boosts anything like bass, treble, middle, etc. I love the reference neutral sound. The music I listen to is exclusively rock music, with artists like Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Flaming Lips, Bright Eyes, Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, etc.

My setup is a DAC: Schiit Modius/Amp: Darkvoice 336se w/ Natural Sound CV181-T, and a 6AS7g Sylvannia vintage tube, which I believe are the perfect tubes/combo for my headphones. I wonder if this setup will transfer well if I do the switch. I don't plan on buying new DAC/amp equipment so if this setup is no good with the d8000pros then that would be a bummer.

My only two concerns about these headphones are of course the weight that has been an issue that I have read about, compared to my HD800S which are light and feel very comfortable, I worry the D8000 pros might become uncomfortable after a couple of hours of use due to the weight. My 2nd concern is the soundstage, some say it's not as wide as the hd800S which is understandable, but I don't want them to have a close soundstage like the HD600 and HD650 which is why I don't fancy those headphones. So if the soundstage on the d8000 pros is still somewhat wide like the HD800S then it's fine.
One last question is, will there be a quality jump? Given that the HD800S' clarity is top-notch, will there be a noticeable difference in clarity?

To those that have experienced the D8000pros and HD800S, would this be a worthy upgrade?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 4
I've auditioned both side by side and the soundstage on the D8000 Pro is significantly smaller than the HD800S.
I think most people wouldn't hear a big upgrade in sound quality either, although it's technically excellent.
It's just different. More intimate and polite/sweet sounding.

I think the comfort/ergonomics is about the same for both. At least it was for me. I might give the D8000 Pro the edge for having more plushy ear pads.

I'm not saying the D8000 Pro isn't worthy, I thought it was excellent. I would love to own both of those headphones... but the soundstage is pretty small, even for a full size planar. It has smaller staging to stuff like Audeze LCD series and Hifiman HE6/500.
I don't find planars to have big soundstages in general. Dynamics definitely have the edge there.
Even the relatively enormous Meze Empyrean had very average staging.

No idea how it would sound with tubes etc.

Feb 18, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 4
I've auditioned both side by side and the soundstage on the D8000 Pro is significantly smaller than the HD800S.
I think most people wouldn't hear a big upgrade in sound quality either, although it's technically excellent.
It's just different. More intimate and polite/sweet sounding.

I think the comfort/ergonomics is about the same for both. At least it was for me. I might give the D8000 Pro the edge for having more plushy ear pads.

I'm not saying the D8000 Pro isn't worthy, I thought it was excellent. I would love to own both of those headphones... but the soundstage is pretty small, even for a full size planar. It has smaller staging to stuff like Audeze LCD series and Hifiman HE6/500.
I don't find planars to have big soundstages in gene
Thank you for the response, I think for now I will just stick with the hd800S. I'm not having the urge to upgrade and it seems these aren't much of an improvement to my specific tastes, ie: soundstage. And clarity seems about the same as you mentioned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back