Final choice made: UE Super.fi Pro vs Shure E4c
Jun 12, 2005 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

mchurgin

100+ Head-Fier
After reviewing and testing both canal phones (See other posts) my final choice is as follows: It is really similar to when I chose the Shure E5 over the EtyEr4p.

One was very well balnced with great detail,(Very fatiguing to me) Er4P
and one was just plain fun to listen to. Great range, non fatiguing (But not too comfortable for me) E5c

I find the same with these two phones. The shures are very balanced but a little light on the low end and a little fatiguing to me after long listening ( 30 mins or more.)

The UE Super.fi pro are very comfortable, good bass (cant imagine the EB versiopn) with Ipod and "Jazz" Eq very nice clean highs that are not hurting me after 30 mins. of listening.

Some people mentioned that the Shures perform better on the low end from different sources and the Ipod is not one of them. However my source is the Ipod and for the same reasons I chose the E5's afew years ago I choose the UE Super.fi Pro's as the ones to keep. The Shure E4c's will be going back tommorrow.

It was a decision that if I wanted to listen and enjoy the music or be analytical and analyze every song for what I can hear or not hear in it.

Thats it.. decision is final.....unless.................................. .

Jun 12, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 44
Like you, I read dozens of reviews/comparisons, decided against the Super.Fi Pro's, and chose the E4C. After listening to them for a couple of days, I'm not sure I made the right choice. They are quite bright and the bass is a bit on the anemic side -- even with Bass Booster selected on my IPOD.

One of the other factors that influenced me was how these different units fit into the ear. I kept reading that the Super.Fi's extend quite a bit out of the ear. Are you OK with that physical aspect? The E4C's do fit nicely and are unobtrusive. I just reverse R/L channel and let them hang straight down. This way they insert and remove easily without a lot of contortion.

I was under the impression that one could not return earphones due to the "body fluid" problem. I bought mine from ECost.com. I'll check on their return policy, but I doubt that it extends to earphones.

I'm still interested in the E5C's. I might put out an IC to see anyone want so purchase these E4C's for a good price or, possibly, trade for E5C's.

KenB

Jun 12, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 44
I dont think the UE's stick out anymore than the Shure E3's. Not as much as Ety's.

The Shure e4's can be worn either straight down or over the ear WITHOUT reversing the L/R. I preferred the Shures straight down rather than the UE's over the ear. But the comfort with the UE's is still excellent and the sound quality for musical fun for all types of music makes it my choice.

Jun 12, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchurgin
I dont think the UE's stick out anymore than the Shure E3's. Not as much as Ety's.

The ue's stick out mua good bit farther than my e4c's (and the um2's, er6i's, etc)
20050503_0006Small.jpg
e4c0028.jpg

I think I have small ears, though.

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 44
I actually wore the UE's in the wrong ears for 3 days before I noticed it. I i saw a picture of someone on this forum wearing the UE's and they stuck out more than they did on me. At first I thought it was just my ears.

I was wearinig them backwards!! LOL Giving raving reviews on comfort and I was wearing them wrong.

With the Left and right reversed they sit deep in your ear canal and dont stick out at all they look like custom made molds. ???

I tried them the correct way and In not sure but I think I like them reversed better. I worry that sound quality will be affected but it doesnt seem too.

Anyone else do this???????

Comments

Jun 12, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49
I actually wore the UE's in the wrong ears for 3 days before I noticed it. I i saw a picture of someone on this forum wearing the UE's and they stuck out more than they did on me. At first I thought it was just my ears.

I was wearinig them backwards!! LOL Giving raving reviews on comfort and I was wearing them wrong.

With the Left and right reversed they sit deep in your ear canal and dont stick out at all they look like custom made molds. ???

I tried them the correct way and In not sure but I think I like them reversed better. I worry that sound quality will be affected but it doesnt seem too.

Anyone else do this???????

Comments

I was the first to mention this about a week ago. However I reverse them and insert them into my ears in the straight drop down style, like the Shure E3 & E4. By reversing the L/R the angle is perfect, I get a great seal and is more comfortable then over the ears. They are angled down so they dont stick out quite as much as over the ear method. They really dont look all that diffeent then other earbuds with the wires hanging straight down.

As far the sound quality being effected? How do they sound to you? I hear no difference in sound quality as long they are sealed in your ear. Thats why they have to be reversed. Unless your right ear can tell it is hearing left channel music and vice versa consider it a style alteration rather than a physical mod. If you like the straight down style for comfort give it a try. I also find them to actually be more secure in my ears this way rather than over the ear.

By the way I forgot to mention I removed the form fit wire. I do not like these either way I use them, over the ear or straight down. W/O the form fit wire I find them even lighter and the wire stays behind my ear with no problem. Maybe its because I wear glasses. But I dont think this should effect wearing them straight down. Please tell me if you try it and what you think.

Jun 12, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 44
That's interesting about the E4c's bass response. I had read elsewhere that the bass was the typical clear yet strong Shure response. I currently have Ety ER-6i's and am wondering whether it might be worth it to trade up. I hadn't considered the UE Superfis, until now...

Jun 12, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 44
e4c0028.jpg

Damn Jmmmmm, those E4s stick out quite a bit on you (and most other people I've seen...)! Well compared to me...

06-12-05_1839.jpg

Jun 12, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 44
I have a very strong and informed opinion on this subject but I'd like to wait a few days before I post a comprehensive review.

I'd like to once again thank Ultimate Ears for their generosity in distributing Super-Fi 5 Pros and Super-Fi 5 EBs for free during the factory tour. Regardless of what I think of the sound quality for either one of these products, their packaging, accessories, and customer service are unrivaled.

My opinion of the Super-Fis does not translate to their other products. After demoing the UE-10, I would not hesitate to drop $900 on their top-of-the-line professional monitor. It is by far the most neutral and realistic listening device I have heard.

-Matt

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious

Damn Jmmmmm, those E4s stick out quite a bit on you (and most other people I've seen...)! Well compared to me...

I only tried on the e3c's once for a brief time, but i think they didn't stick out nearly as much as the e4's do.

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 44
I'm glad you were able to reach a decision, mchurgin. I think that's the hardest part of this hobby for a lot of people........including myself, who, rather than make a final decision on which to keep, keeps 'em all.
tongue.gif

I've continued to use the Super.Fis as my primary 'phones for well over a week now, almost exclusively with various iPods.
A few days ago, however, I received a JMT-built M3 amp that was sent up from the Florida Meet for the NY Meet. I was informed that JMT was interested in selling the amp..........that's something I really didn't want to hear. Of course, MR. Restraint is buying it.
So I've been playing around with different full-sized headphones to see which ones yield the best synergy. I also used the Super.Fi Pros, and I gotta tell you, the high end is there, with wonderful shimmer on the cymbals, and the bass is there as well, in just the right amount, and tight as hell.
Not being too portable, though, I needed something for some yard work today, and gave a Sharp MD player (DR7 with Auvi digital amp)) a shot. Again, the high end of the Super.Fis came to life. To my ears, they are much more balanced, detailed, and extended out of the Sharp than they are out of the iPod. The Jazz EQ setting does, indeed, improve their SQ significantly, but it is still no match for the DR7 MD unit, with EQ set at flat.
I think these things may need some juice to wake up the high end.
That's what I hear, anyway.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #13 of 44
the shures certainly look a hell of a lot nicer.

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

I was the first to mention this about a week ago. However I reverse them and insert them into my ears in the straight drop down style, like the Shure E3 & E4. By reversing the L/R the angle is perfect, I get a great seal and is more comfortable then over the ears. They are angled down so they dont stick out quite as much as over the ear method. They really dont look all that diffeent then other earbuds with the wires hanging straight down.

I was wearing them in reverse with the wire still over the ears. They look just like custom in ears and lay almost flat in your ears...

But now that I know this is the "wrong" way I went to the reccommended insertion. Maybe Ill switch back it's that I feel Im doing something wrong or going to miss out in soem sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back