sonickarma

Headphoneus Supremus
New thread for  -  Final Audio Design - F7200 - Impressions/Reviews

Pricing: 49,800YEN = USD470*

*approximate price conversion at time of release

F7200_main.jpg

F7200_titlt.jpg

F7200_copy_E.jpg

Bringing the driver unit closer to the ear drum achieves an even more realistic, vivid sound quality. In order to achieve this in the F7200, we meticulously downsized the housing with a design consisting of the minimum possible elements. With a diameter of 5.5 mm and a housing weight of 2 g, this miniaturized housing is made of stainless steel. Its design inhibits unnecessary vibration and achieves clear sound quality. Final’s unique method of using full-range balanced armature drivers across all models recreates bass tones with a fullness you would never imagine from the housing size. We recently developed a new original silver-plated cable that achieves a wide sound stage. This cable allows re-cabling with MMCX connectors. The earphone comes with an ear hook to prevent micro phonics from the cable. This is one of final’s favorite models, realizing all aspects of sound quality and ease of use in a higher dimension.

7200_spec_E.jpg

Features

kouzou_7200_EN.jpg

Housing design that minimizes the distance between the ear drum and the driver unit. 

You can position the product to be at the back or at the entrance of the ear canal, and change the sound quality by choosing different earpieces.
You can also change the position of the earpiece. Enables the sound output to be at the very front face of the earpiece. This is also a way to adjust sound quality. With the sound output at the very front, you will be able to feel the sound being transmitted directly.
F7200_A11.jpg

Full-range balanced armature driver unit

We have used an ultra small full-range balanced armature driver unit.

Stainless steel machined high rigidity housing 

We have used a stainless steel housing that inhibits unnecessary sympathetic vibration and contributes to producing clear sound.

F7200_C1.jpg

Choice of 2 types of earpiece

We’ve included silicone earpieces in 5 sizes and foam earpieces in 3 sizes. Achieve a perfect fit no matter how large or small your ear canal is. Sealing performance is closely related to how the bass feels, as well as soundproofing performance. This system enables you to significantly change the fullness of the bass or the soundproofing performance. The foam type in particular has soundproofing performance similar to noise cancellation earpieces.

F7200_D1.jpg

F7200_D2.jpg

MMCX Connector&Original high purity OFC silver coated cable 

We’ve used high-precision MMCX connectors from a famous Swiss manufacturer.

We’ve used high-purity OFC silver coated cables that provide a wide sound stage. These jointly-developed cables were originally designed by and are currently manufactured by the well-renowned Junkosha corporation for the purpose of being used with the supercomputer “Kei” due to their fast signal transmission speed.
The insulator film is made from PFA which was also developed by Junkosha who used their extensive know-how through the JUNFLON® brand to create the ultimate in low-permittivity material. The outer tube is made from PVC for maximum flexibility. The user will experience surprising flexibility that both makes the cable extremely easy to use as well as reducing the likelihood of microphonics. In addition, the MMCX plug and the 3.5 mm mini-plug have a tendency to disconnect so we’ve far exceeded the regular QA pass criteria of a 5,000-time bend test by changing the connection design to one that can withstand more than 50,000 bends.
*Junkosha: The Japanese corporation Junkosha develops and manufactures products such as high speed coaxial cables that boast the world’s fastest transmission speed at 95% the speed of light, as well as cables for demanding fields such as marine and aerospace, healthcare and power generation facilities. These special cables require a high level of technology and center around fluoropolymers. Junkosha’s cables are often called by the brand name JUNFLON® and have earned the tremendous trust of engineers requiring special-purpose cables.
*A total length of 1,200 km is now being used in supercomputers, and it takes longer for the electrons to flow through the cables than it does through the semiconductor.
As the cable transmission speed is the limiting factor of the supercomputer speed, a substantial amount of development costs are spent in the pursuit of transmission speed.

F7200_E1.jpg

F7200_E2.jpg

※The connecting terminal has not been configured with a view to frequent connection and disconnection. Repeatedly connecting and disconnecting the terminal may lead to contact failure owing to wear or damage to the terminal; please ensure that any connection or disconnection is limited to situations of cable breakage or when the cable is replaced with other final cables that are sold separately.

Ear hook

The F series comes with an ear hook to reduce microphonics. Conventional products of the same type are slightly bigger in order to accommodate a range of ear sizes. This not only makes them stand out visually, it will also take you considerable time to get used to how they fit. As a result of re-investigating what the key is in attaching the ear hook, we discovered that making the ear hook smaller than normal, and doing away with metal or resin wires, meant the shape could fit more people’s ears.

F7200_F1.jpg

Newly developed carry case

The carry case for the housing has also been newly developed.

The earphones themselves are gently secured between thin domed silicone and a lid. This case is designed such that the cable is wrapped around the perimeter of the case and the plug is stored in the base compartment separate from the earphones. Cases that fix the earphones neatly in the same position might look good, but your cable will break more easily if it is stored in the same position every time. Our system satisfies opposing demands simultaneously − it takes into account damage that might be caused to the earphones themselves while preventing your cables from breaking by making sure they are not always wound into the same position. The resulting size fits in the palm of your hand, is lightweight, and easy to carry around.

F7200_G1.jpg

F7200_G2.jpg

F7200_G3.jpg

F7200_G4.jpg

Safe fit ring

The earphone comes with a safe fit rings so you can use your silicone earpiece safely.

F7200_H1.jpg

Accessories

Main unit, Carrying case, 2 types of earpieces, Ear hooks, Safe fit rings, Cotton swabs

http://final-audio-design-directshop.com/fs/final/f-series/FI-F7BSSD

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 21
Cables and aesthetics aside, is there a significant difference in how the F7200 and F4100 sound. The specs seem identical, but are the drivers the same too? Love the form factor, especially for someone who has issues with universal monitors, but I would hate to part with an extra USD 200 if its just a silver cable that's the difference. 

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 21

Final F7200 Earphone review

I will start this review of the Final F7200 earphones by saying that I am not going to include photos or technical specifications, as these have been very well covered by the original poster. I feel that unnecessary repetition has a tendency to clutter posts and detract from the intended message.
 My introduction to IEMs was many years ago when I directly imported a pair of Etymotic Research ER-4s from the US, as this was long before there was a UK distributer. Opening the long awaited box was a bit of an anti-climax; all that money (I was young and poor) for two tiny plastic cylinders joined to a flimsy looking cable. Used to large over ear headphones, I couldn’t believe these would produce an acceptable sound. All doubts were dispelled when they were plugged in to my portable source of the day, a Sony Walkman Professional cassette deck. They sounded wonderful; full, detailed and involving. I was smitten, and have stayed in love with IEMs ever since. I stayed with Etymotic through several pairs of ER-4S and ER-4P. Some purchased, and some under warranty due to the cable, which did indeed prove to be flimsy in the early days. So why all this chat about Etymotics in a Final earphone review? Simply because when looking at single armature designs, everything refers back to the ER-4 in my experience.
 Opening the box of the F7200 was a very different experience. They look good! Beautifully finished stainless cylinders with good cable connectors, a very attractive cable and a lovely tactile rubber case. You can see where your money has gone. Immediately comfortable with the supplied silicon tips, they felt secure in my ears due to the easy cable routing. Final make claims about how small these IEMs are, but they aren’t very different from the Etymotics, or indeed Klipsch, in that respect.
 My Sony Walkman Pro being in retirement, I started off using a Sony ZX-2 via a Chord Hugo for the first listen. Full of anticipation, the first track played; a 192/24 FLAC of the Chicago Transit Authority album. And, I was underwhelmed. Now, things have moved on since my early days of IEMs, and these days I usually listen to Shure SE846 or Sennheiser IE800, which sets the bar pretty high, but that wasn’t the problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the F7200. They sound as good as any single armature design that I have tried. Plenty of detail, sprightly presentation, a little bass shy compared to the bigger boys, but acceptable. But, with the beautiful looks, I had expected more, something special and different. They just weren't different enough.
 I decided that these ‘phones probably were not expected to be used with such an expensive front end, so I changed to the Sony ZX-2 on its own, and an iPhone 7 via the lightning adapter (mini DAC) cable. The sound quality held up well, but the F7200 takes quite a lot of driving. The naked DACs were having to run at pretty much full volume. To put this in perspective, they were slightly less efficient than Sennheiser IE800s, and a LOT less efficient than the Shure SE846. This surprised me as my other single armature designs are more efficient from these sources.
 Apart from the efficiency issue, I felt there was little to choose between the  sound of F7200 and Etymotic ER-4P. The Finals were perhaps a little warmer in presentation, rounding off the rough edges of nastier digital recordings slightly more than the Etymotics. But, if I was back in the day of living with just one pair of IEMs, I would have been happy with either.
 This is, I think the dilemma. The F7200 is priced significantly above the Etymotics, half way to the IE800s in fact. There is no question in my mind that the IE800s blow both these single armature designs out of the water (apart from sound isolation), but that is perhaps to miss the point. Sometimes there is a place for the very discrete single armature device, and not everyone is willing to spend IE800 money to listen to tunes on the train. So you have to decide whether; build quality, cable quality, good looks and a very nice case justifies the extra expense of the Final F7200 over other single armature designs, because sonically there isn’t much in it.

Pros;
Looks
Build quality
Detachable cable
Size
Comfort
Case

Cons;
Cost
Low efficiency
Bass light

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 21
Just another question if you don't mind, do you ever use armature earphones for sports, how do they hold up against sweat and stuff. I really like the form factor of these earphones, not sure how versatile and rugged they are.

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 21
Often use for sports. I prefer Comply tips, or the Etymotic triple flange tips for really sweaty stuff. I have used the triple flange tips many times for swimming, but I strongly suggest that the manufacturers would not endorse this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back