Final Amp Poll: GS1 + CIAudio VDA1 or Grace m902
Jul 20, 2005 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
I know I put up a lot of polls, but each one always helps me out... so here goes another one.

Lets say coming from an av710 going to either of these Amp/Dac combos:

- At around $1000 - the Gilmore GS1 and the CIaudio VDA1 (no psu)
- At around $1600 ($1450 w/ discount) - the Grace m902 Amp/Dac combo

I know headroom sells the Grace and I think I can get 10% off if I become a headfi contributor (right?) so that should bring the Grace down to about $1450.

What do you guys think?

If you could also put a pro/cons to your choice, that would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 19
My vote is a little uncertain since I haven't heard much about the CIaudio VDA1. I'll assume that you have done your homework both in determing a DAc and in researching the amps.

GS-1 + CIaudio VDA1
Strong points Excellent amplifier, I personally prefer it to my Grace 901 though that's a matter of taste.
Pieces can be swapped out and replaced piece by piece as you upgrade/change tastes/gear breaks.
Weak points - If you carry it around the two piece nature of the combo can be tedious.
One more interconnect and one more power cord means more mess to hide or view.
smily_headphones1.gif

Grace
Strong Points - One box solution, easy portability (luggability?)
Also an excellent amp. It's smoother and easier to listen to for long periods than the Gilmore is but also lacks the energy that makes the Gilmore special to me.
Larger company behind it - Grace sells a lot more gear than HeadAmp, this may or may not mean they are more stable.

Weak points - If you don't like the DAC, you've still bought it and you can't sell it without selling the amp.
It's smoother and easier to listen to for long periods than the Gilmore is but also lacks the energy that makes the Gilmore special to me.

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 19
GP,

As always you always come through nice and clean with my options laid out. THANKS!!!

I was thinking about how the GS1 + VDA1 is much more versatile... however, the Grace 902 just has sooo much trinkets to play with.

Does it have a remote, too?

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Does it have a remote, too?

I can't remember for sure. The 901 didn't but I seem to remember some scuttlebutt floating around about one, I just can't remember if it turned out to be true...

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #5 of 19
Dang Joey! I thought you had a budget. But you're just another akwok aren't you?
600smile.gif

You'll be able to hang with the big boys with either of those setups.

Another option for you to consider is getting balanced cables for your HD650's and running it from the Benchmark DAC1. I've heard that the DAC1 and HD650 are good together. That could be another option for about $1000 or slightly less I believe. Make another poll!
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Dang Joey! I thought you had a budget. But you're just another akwok aren't you?
600smile.gif

You'll be able to hang with the big boys with either of those setups.

Another option for you to consider is getting balanced cables for your HD650's and running it from the Benchmark DAC1. I've heard that the DAC1 and HD650 are good together. That could be another option for about $1000 or slightly less I believe. Make another poll!
tongue.gif

Borat,

Something happened to my budget... I think I lost it.

Benchmark DAC1 as a headphone amp? Are you sure?

One reason why I dont really like the Benchmark is the look - it doesnt look good to me. It may seem trivial, but I want something that matches my setup.
cool.gif

I'm no akwok... he's crazy.
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 19
I am special.

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I am special.

HAH!
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Borat,

Something happened to my budget... I think I lost it.

Benchmark DAC1 as a headphone amp? Are you sure?

One reason why I dont really like the Benchmark is the look - it doesnt look good to me. It may seem trivial, but I want something that matches my setup.
cool.gif

I'm no akwok... he's crazy.
tongue.gif

Joey...one thing you're forgetting is the sound signature of each of these sources. DAC1, grace, VDA-1...they all sound different, and they may not suit your tastes. The headphone amp won't part as much coloration in the final sound that reaches your ears. It's important to have a sense of what each source sounds like before you go out and spend alot on one.

Jul 20, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I am special.

my mommy has always told me that as well...

and yes Joey the DAC1 has a built in amp like the grace... and yes the DAC1 is balanced
icon10.gif
.... and yes a moded VDA can sound much like the DAC1 if you like its sound...which I dont.

I like stand alone everything... the grace and dac1 you pay extra for stuff you often dont use and if you do not like one part you are stuck.

...the more parts the more tweeking you can do.

In honor of you and your polls Joey

Jul 20, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1

I like stand alone everything... the grace and dac1 you pay extra for stuff you often dont use and if you do not like one part you are stuck.

...the more parts the more tweeking you can do.

The DAC1 is a standalone DAC that just happens to have a headphone amplifier if you choose to use that. You can certainly use it as a standalone DAC and connect it to another headphone amp.

I agree, Joey should at least audition this gear before he decides to buy. $1000 is alot of money.

As for the DAC1 sound...I am hopin to audition one soon (albeit modded). If the sound is right, then I may bite the bullet!

Jul 20, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

and yes a moded VDA can sound much like the DAC1 if you like its sound...which I dont.

Modding can change the sound in different ways. Most stock items don't sound like DAC1. I find DAC1 has a unique sound. I think it would require work to attempt to get VDA to sound like DAC1. All the soundcards and DACs I've tinkered with never sounded like DAC1. I'm not a fan of DAC1 so I wouldn't want any source remotely sounding like it though
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Modding can change the sound in different ways. Most stock items don't sound like DAC1. I find DAC1 has a unique sound. I think it would require work to attempt to get VDA to sound like DAC1. All the soundcards and DACs I've tinkered with never sounded like DAC1. I'm not a fan of DAC1 so I wouldn't want any source remotely sounding like it though
tongue.gif

with blackgates and 627s it sure did... why I went back to the stock opamp
icon10.gif

and joey you can add the VAC1 and still be uder the price of the Grace...why no PSU?

my vote... AV710 >> VDA/VAC or DAC1/GRACE if you like them >> GS1 >> HD650s

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

with blackgates and 627s it sure did... why I went back to the stock opamp
icon10.gif

and joey you can add the VAC1 and still be uder the price of the Grace...why no PSU?

my vote... AV710 >> VDA/VAC or DAC1/GRACE if you like them >> GS1 >> HD650s

Jeez man.. you have a poll on me now?? This is what I get when I oversleep!

Hahahaha!

So you recommend the VDA.... cool!

I am leaning towards the VDA + Gilmore Combo... since I like the Gilmore sound and it seems pretty cost effective. I have the GLite coming to me and if I decide to keep that instead of the GS1, then I save even more!

Keep the votes coming (although this one has few voters relative to my other polls)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back