Film Cameras?
Jul 3, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

PS, take a look at this photo from 1936. It blew me away, if you doubt film.. : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ntMother02.jpg

No one is saying that you can't get great results with film - it's just much easier and much cheaper with digital. Being able to preview your shots as you take them, to only develop the shots you truly want to, to not have to pay for film or processing......plus, Photoshop/GIMP gives you infinitely more power in controlling the final shot than the best darkroom in the world.

35mm is largely dead. There are still applications for medium and large format in situations that require insane amounts of detail (landscapes for 30x40 prints, etc.), but for everything else pretty much everyone has switched to digital with good reason. When the least expensive 6.1MP DSLR (Nikon D50/D70s, Pentax *ist DL) out there can make 11x14 (and often larger) prints right up there with film, there's no reason not to switch, really.

Jul 3, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I have a Nikon D70 and a Panasonic DMC-FZ5K. I've done digital, and I have found that digital, in terms of SLRs, are still having the kinks worked out of their systems, as evidenced by the large amount of problems Nikon had with it's D70. The only serious shots I've ever taken are with film, sure digital allows you to review your shots after you've taken them, shots'll last forever on your hd and what not, but there's something about film that just makes me concentrate harder, whether it's the limited amount of shots, or the thought of having to develope each and every photo you take, I don't know, but I've found I much prefer film to digital.

As for printers, did you ask him what kind of Epson he had? I don't feel the need to drop a grand on soemthing like an Epson R2400, or 4800. I also prefer to develope my own pictures rather than relying on a printer or a software program to decide brightness and contrast.

For Kodak, nor offense, but I don't much care for them anyway, they've converted their business into a quantity over quality deal a long time ago ,so their switch to digital does not surprise me. I prefer Ilford as they actually take care of their customers.

For cameras, the links you guys provided me seem to point to the F5 as the better camera then the F100. What do you guys think? Of course the Nikon F6, would be the best option, but unfortunately I don't want to spend $1200 on a camera right now. Thanks guys.

The D70 isn't the only digital camera out there. Canon seems to hvae a good track record wiht the Digital Rebel XT and the next level up, the 20D and 30D.

Jul 3, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #18 of 30
Well, this seems to be the beginning of a flame war so I'll just leave it at that. I prefer film, I prefer Nikon, that's just what I like. I think I'll probably go with the F100, since I never use auto focus anyway.

Jul 3, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Well, this seems to be the beginning of a flame war so I'll just leave it at that. I prefer film, I prefer Nikon, that's just what I like. I think I'll probably go with the F100, since I never use auto focus anyway.

This is hardly a flame war, just a friendly discussion.

Jul 3, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread
This is hardly a flame war, just a friendly discussion.

Oh, okay, I just didn't want to get into an argument about which is better, film or digital, since I think they both have their goods and bads. Back to cameras, do you think the new F6 is worth the extra $4-500 over the F100?

Jul 4, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Oh, okay, I just didn't want to get into an argument about which is better, film or digital, since I think they both have their goods and bads. Back to cameras, do you think the new F6 is worth the extra $4-500 over the F100?

I, too, think they both have their good and bad sides. I just want people to try both before they make a decision.

Jul 4, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

The difference is quite a bit more than $500, more like $1100. The F100 does not have a 100% viewfinder. I would suggest getting a used F3 (go for $450 or so, much more robust and flexible system than the F100), or a used FM2/FM3A if you need a shutter that works without batteries at all speeds. The FM3A is a really sweet camera, and the technology behind the shutter is remarkable, but the viewfinder lags behind the F3's.

I second the Thom Hogan recommendation. Ken Rockwell is a clown who does not hesitate to review gear that by his own admission he has never held, and keep in mind he makes a lot of money in referral fees by drumming up purchases for Adorama.

Jul 4, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Well, this seems to be the beginning of a flame war so I'll just leave it at that. I prefer film, I prefer Nikon, that's just what I like.

Sorry if I came across harsh, its just that seeing so many misconceptions regarding digital across the Internet annoys me, but that's not your fault. Like I said before, if you're just being a hobbyist here, go with what makes you happy.

Quote:

I think I'll probably go with the F100, since I never use auto focus anyway.

Now I don't know the Nikon lineup like I know Canon's, but majid has another good suggestion with the FM series. I've heard a lot of praise for these bodies, and especially if you want to go a bit "retro" I think they might be the ticket.

Jul 5, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Really? I've seen F100s, mint on Ebay for about $500-650, I've seen the F6 for about $900-1100, mint condition on Ebay.

I didn't realize you were talking about used. Cheap F100s I can easily believe, many well-off hobbyists bought much more camera than they needed, but the F6 is a brand-spanking new camera that was introduced well after DSLRs became mainstream, surely there can't be that many bored proctologists offloading them to get 5D/D2Xs... Are you sure you aren't talking about the F5?

Jul 5, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid
I didn't realize you were talking about used. Cheap F100s I can easily believe, many well-off hobbyists bought much more camera than they needed, but the F6 is a brand-spanking new camera that was introduced well after DSLRs became mainstream, surely there can't be that many bored proctologists offloading them to get 5D/D2Xs... Are you sure you aren't talking about the F5?

Yeah, I prefer to buy my stuff used. It allows me to afford things that normally I wouldn't be able to buy as even the mint condition ones (Which are the only ones I buy, since I'm super OCD) have quite a bit shaved off the MSRP.

Jul 5, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #27 of 30
Have you considered manula focus SLR like Nikon F3? Also if you want to invest in F100, why not go for an F5? If you don't mind the used one you may get a really good deal. Many owners bought them and then leave them on the shelf when they switched to D-SLR (Ofcourse this is not the case for F3 which is much older, but still my favorite SLR).

Jul 6, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by NEO
Have you considered manula focus SLR like Nikon F3? Also if you want to invest in F100, why not go for an F5? If you don't mind the used one you may get a really good deal. Many owners bought them and then leave them on the shelf when they switched to D-SLR (Ofcourse this is not the case for F3 which is much older, but still my favorite SLR).

Well my favorite is the one I have the F2, which was the last of the hand made Nikons however, since it broke I have found there is a relatively limited amount of parts availble for it, so I'm looking to buy something from Nikon's newer product line. The auto advance on modern cameras is also quite nice, as is auto rewind. I've been using my old Rebel since my Nikon broke, and those auto features have been quite nice. Is the F5 a better camera than the F100? I would like to buy the F5, since it is the latter generation of the F2, but my teacher only mentioned the F6 and the F100. How does the F5 compare to both of these?

Jul 6, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #29 of 30
F5 is definitely better than F100 but not by far. The problem is the retail price is much higher than F100 so many photographers chose to buy F100 and save money for the accessories. Now if you are looking for the good condition second hand, then the difference is much lower.

I think F6 has some improvement on fucusing system over F5 but not sure. F6doesn't seem to have intergrated motor drive as well and doesn't have the interchageable viewfinder. But I am sure there are many improvements over F5 as well. I just like the F5 better in term of appearance and build. Besides, You can not fine F6 for cheap now since it has just been released so there are hardly any of it on the used market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back