File Transfer Speed: Rockbox & Gen 5 iPod Video
Feb 4, 2011 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

knolly

New Head-Fier
Sooo...

My iPod Video (gen 5) had been dieing a slow death over the past few months: battery issues.  i dropped it off to get repaired and I asked about getting a larger drive in it as well.  So, the 30GB HDD was replaced by a larger 80GB drive (largest size that could fit inside this model without getting a deeper back on the ipod) and I have my new battery, so I'm good to go!

Now, this was all part of "the master plan", which is to make use of the good output quality of the Gen 5 ipods, get a Headamp Pico w/ LOD for it and plug in my Grado 325is and have a pretty kick ass portable unit that's not too huge...

So, after picking up the refurbished / fixed ipod, I installed Rock Box on it - something I've never used before.  It went pretty seamlessly (until I tried to play DOOM and it loaded up, but I couldn't make the controls work!) and the whole idea is that I'm only going to use FLAC files and - at the worst - 320 mp3 files - hence why I wanted the extra HDD room.

So, so far so good.  The sound quality from the FLAC files is definitely noticeably improved, which is great!  I'm going to get the Pico and a LOD on order as well. 

NOW - the one issue is that file transfer speed is SLOW.  Is this just how it is?  It's definitely not USB 2.0.  Transferring a CD ripped in FLAC format takes about 12-15 minutes depending upon the length.  Is this normal?  I don't remember it being this slow when I was sending mpgs back and forth before (obviously smaller files that Flac, but it seems to be much slower than it should be for the file size). 
Am I missing a setting inside Rockbox?  Does the Gen 5 ipod video support USB 2.0?  Does Rockbox?

Any info would be appreciated - thanks!

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 3
I would say the speed you are experiencing is definitely not normal. having recently myself loaded RB and increased HDD to 240GB, my experience so far is much faster than what you are experiencing. a normal CD in flac should be around 300~400MB, and should take you about a min or so....just yesterday I uploaded about 3.9GB worth of ALAc files, and while I cant remember exactly how long it took, it was definitely less than 8~9 mins. 
also as far as I remember,  when I first uploaded my classical files, which were around 55GB, and it took only just over an hour or so. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi LevA:

Thanks for the reply.  Yup, the speed is VERY slow - like 15+ minutes for one FLAC album (as you say, about 400MB).

I've tried connecting the player in regular mode and disc mode, and it's slow in both cases.  Also, tried using two different computers (laptop and desktop) and this was the case with both of them. 

Unless I'm incredibly stupid (or unlucky) and have used only USB 1.1 ports on these computers (though, files transfer very quickly with my digital camera!), I have no idea what the problem is.  Any testing that I could do to try and find out?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back