File of a song suddenly dies!
Mar 2, 2009 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hooran

100+ Head-Fier
A song that I used to listen to a lot, recently transformed into something else. The vocals are now completely out of tune and the song just sounds awful. At first I thought my DAP was broken, but I had not updated my DAP in a long time. And also, the same file that I used to play on my computer seems to be suffering from the same problem. It's just odd that one song out of my entire directly on both my computer and DAP sound like this now. The file on both my DAP and computer used to sound great. I never deleted the file from my computer or DAP either.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 10
Really 'suddenly'? Odd..
Is the file on your DAP the same as on your computer in that the one on your computer is the original and untouched?

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 10
Both files came from my computer originally. Same file name, etc. Both files have worked well for several months now. And now, without editing or doing anything to the files, both have gone "out of tune". The only contact the DAP and computer have in contact is when I plug it in via USB to charge it.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Hmm. I asked because iPods do synchronizing and all..
I am pretty clueless. What does it sound like now?

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 10
I have only something like this happen twice:

the first was a corrupted file from a disc error, which in mid-song became garbled like a wrinkled-up audio tape after your eight-track player ate the tape
the other was when I upgraded my rig and actually heard the grabage for the first time, after which I re-ripped my collection.

I think it unlikely that two files on two different drives both became corrupted in the same manner without the error having been copied form one to the other as in a re-sync.
I think it more unlikely that you upgraded your rig and failed to notice
tongue.gif

Have you had any drive issues lately? Has Windows tried to do a checkdisk upon re-start?

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 10
Is your music file DRM laced, as in encrypted? If it is, I wonder if your license has expired.

It may also be possible that one of the files may have corrupted and when you plugged your DAP in to charge, it synced and overwrote the none-corrupted file.

These are the only two explanations I can think of.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Just weird!
First thing coming to my mind were file corruption because of failing hardware (hdd), but then again that is probably not possible since it affect both you computer and DAP.

Guess you can always delete it an re-rip, hoping that it wont happen again

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 10
Yea, my first guess would be the corrupting. It makes no sense at all because this has happened on 2 different drives.

The DAP is a Sansa Fuze, so I'm not sure if it automatically syncs or something, all I notice is that the player is charging.

The file itself was a nonDRM 320kbps mp3. And this change wasn't caused by any audio upgrades since I've been using a bunch of high-end audio stuff. UE TF10s, Ultrasone PRO900, Grado SR325i, Westone 3 have been used both when the sound was good and bad.

I guess the best possible explanation is corruption occurred and one of the files somehow got overwritten when connected to eachother.

As for the sound.... the vocals are sung in Chinese--- the vocals now sound like they are being sung by a non-native speaker with a lot of trouble pronouncing things properly. A host of sonic detail are also missing from the song now. It kindof sounds like listening out of your portable rig without plugging in the headphone plug all the way to the end.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAP is a Sansa Fuze, so I'm not sure if it automatically syncs or something, all I notice is that the player is charging.

I do not know if it does, but if the software sensed the 'master' file had changed (corrupted on the PC's drive?) it may have re-sync'ed to make the one in the DAP match what it took to be your 'tagging changes'
confused_face(1).gif

I'd check the settings if applicable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back