File Format Management
Jul 8, 2005 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I've decided to dedicate some time to putting my music collection on my computer. It just seems more convenient than using CDs all the time. This post is the first in a series, where I will be asking for some advice on setting up my computer as a source.
biggrin.gif

I have a question about how to manage different file formats. I already have 20 or 30 GB worth of MP3 files, but I do have some other formats (i.e. Ogg, FLAC, WAV) and will be using different devices that recognize different file types. My usual file structure is "genre/artist/album/# - track title", which I think is pretty standard. However, I don't know which is better, to put all audio files, regardless of format in the same folder or to create seperate directories for file types. In other words "file type/genre/artist/album/# - track title". What is the consensus among the Computer-As-A-Source crowd?

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 4
I rip to FLACs then batch-transcode to MP3s for use with an partably player using dbPowerAmp's converter.

I highly recommend organizing each album into separate subdirectories. I use \artist\album\track number - track title, but any scheme which segregates the albums should be acceptable. This provides numerous advantages, including the ability to store different versions of identically-named tracks from a given artist without filename conflicts.

Initially, I neglected to do this, and was forced to write a program to rearrange my entire collection (over 8000 tracks) by parsing the ID3 and OGG comment information to derive album information and relocate the files accordingly. That was a hassle that could have been avoided, had I planned better.

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 4
"... and will be using different devices that recognize different file types."

Could you elaborate? That's the key mystery for knowing format/filename/directory questions. My friend has a DVD player for instance that doesn't play any file that ever goes below 64 kbps, has a file name with any specialized characters or is outside the root folder. I do all three on my computer. Good to know (if possible) what devices are likely to come up.

Jul 8, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
"... and will be using different devices that recognize different file types."

Could you elaborate?

Sure...From my computer I want to run compressed lossless files. I was thinking of using Monkey's Audio, but lack of hardware support convinced me to go FLAC. I actually don't have any FLAC compatible machines right now but am considering getting a "SqueezeBox II" so I can stream everything through my home stereo (no Monkey's Audio support).

I have three portable digital devices - an Archos Studio 10, NJB3, and iAudio 5. I'm not sure I'm going to keep them all but the Archos only recognizes MP3. The NJB3 recognizes MP3, WAV and WMA. The iAudio does MP3, Ogg, ASF, WAV and WMA. I think the iAudio I will hang onto for a while but I might end up selling the other devices to fund other purchases, as they are just acting as USB drives right now (running Notmad).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back