FiiO's paired with different devices/OSes?
Apr 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AvidlyEclectic

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I've been itching to get my hands on a Fiio E6 for my Superlux HD681 EVO. However, I became worried because i read somewhere in the forums that Fiios and mobile amps in general have spotty compatibility with android so...

I have the following devices. Will all of them work without any additional steps/modification after plugging the E6 in?

1st gen iPad Mini
iPod touch 4th gen
iPod shuffle
Samsung Galaxy Ace
Macbook Air 2012, 11inch.

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 10
I understand that, in android, sound does come out of the amps, but it is double amped from the android's stock amp and the external one. It's quite confusing and if anyone would be so kind to explain...

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 10
It's USB compatibility that is sometimes an issue with Android.

Apple devices make it easy to bypass the internal headphone amp with a line out direct cable. That you will not get with an Android phone or tablet, so you would be double amping.

But what is the goal of adding the E6? The Superlux HD681 EVO have 32 ohm impedance, so most devices should be fine with that. The only advantage of the E6 might be some extra volume.

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 10
But what is the goal of adding the E6? The Superlux HD681 EVO have 32 ohm impedance, so most devices should be fine with that. The only advantage of the E6 might be some extra volume.

there can be big convenience advantages to an amp, plus it has (basic) EQ which may be a plus.  

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 10
there can be big convenience advantages to an amp, plus it has (basic) EQ which may be a plus.  

I had forgotten about the bass boost. Perhaps some people might be looking for that. But what are the "convenience advantages" of adding an amp? To me, an amp is inconvenient to carry if one doesn't really need it.

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 10
I had forgotten about the bass boost. Perhaps some people might be looking for that. But what are the "convenience advantages" of adding an amp? To me, an amp is convenient to carry if one doesn't really need it.

LOL

for me, my ipad and iphone are in waterproof cases (for work).  these cases disallow headphones directly but the LOD is still accessible, so using a DAC/amp from the LOD means i don't have to remove the case just to listen to music...which is convenient.  some amps have dual headphone outs, which could be convenient....and having an amp on hand for when you buy your new HD600/planar mags is kind of convenient

i know i'm reaching at straws but i can't be the only one that actually uses an external amp/dac for weird reasons beyond audio quality...

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 10
for me, my ipad and iphone are in waterproof cases (for work).  these cases disallow headphones directly but the LOD is still accessible, so using a DAC/amp from the LOD means i don't have to remove the case just to listen to music...which is convenient.  

I'd never heard of that use :)

But what I was trying to get at is why the OP wants one. Sometimes people think just adding a headphone amp always adds better SQ.

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 10
I had forgotten about the bass boost. Perhaps some people might be looking for that. But what are the "convenience advantages" of adding an amp? To me, an amp is inconvenient to carry if one doesn't really need it.

I find the E11 portable amp useful because it has a dial. It is much more easy to access than buttons or other things that control the volume. The dial just simply sticks out of the top of my pocket. I also find both the E11 and the E5 useful if I am wanting to improve how long my music player lasts. Obviously this only works if I use the line out, not the headphone socket.

I'd never heard of that use
smily_headphones1.gif

But what I was trying to get at is why the OP wants one. Sometimes people think just adding a headphone amp always adds better SQ.

When I use the E11, that does improve the sound quality a little bit. I also find the 2 levels of bass boost very useful. When I am traveling, the bass isn't as noticeable, but with the E11, boosting it a bit, it makes a good difference. I wouldn't say the E5 improve the sound at all but as I said, it it good for making things last longer if use use the line out. I could quite easily get the E5 to last about 18 hours.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 10
@cel4145 hello! Thanks for the replies. By apple devices do you mean the E6 will work with the shuffle? How about the ace? The E6 comes with a stock line out cable, not a USB one. Thanks in advance!

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 10
I don't know about the shuffle, but some Apple devices take an LOD adapter: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L3-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B003UCESP8/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back