FiiO X5ii Vs iBasso DX80
Aug 27, 2016 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi

Simple question, hopefully. iBasso DX80 or FiiO X5ii? I was also thinking about the Lotoo PAW 5000, but too many reviews mention it's lack of power for driving headphones.

Any other suggestions in the sum £350 bracket?

Regards

Darren

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 8
Haven't heard X5II but DX80 over PAW 5000 is a sure thing. Honestly, one unit I still hold in high regard is the older DX90 if you're happy to find one used.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi

Simple question, hopefully. iBasso DX80 or FiiO X5ii? I was also thinking about the Lotoo PAW 5000, but too many reviews mention it's lack of power for driving headphones.

Regards

Darren

I've owned and still own the iBasso DX80, however, you may be able to find a Shanling M5 for the price range you are talking about. It has 300mw @32 ohms. The Fiio X5ii has 245mw, and the iBasso DX80 has 260mw. However, I personally prefer the MD over the other two. The Fiio Xie is rock solid in reference to the Firmware, as is the Shanling M5, where as the iBasso DX80 still is a hit or miss. Some unit have no issues whatsoever, then others have multiple issues. So be cautious with them. I love the DX80 for the Touchscreen, where as the M5 I love for pretty much everything else a player can do. Sorry to throw another Dap in the mix, as it is very difficult to choose, hence why I own multiple Daps.. Lol.. And still want more to add to the collection.. More due to wanting to own them as a hobby/collector. Than owning them out of necessity.

May 1, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 8
Hi

Simple question, hopefully. iBasso DX80 or FiiO X5ii? I was also thinking about the Lotoo PAW 5000, but too many reviews mention it's lack of power for driving headphones.

Regards

Darren

Haven't heard X5II but DX80 over PAW 5000 is a sure thing. Honestly, one unit I still hold in high regard is the older DX90 if you're happy to find one used.

I've owned and still own the iBasso DX80, however, you may be able to find a Shanling M5 for the price range you are talking about. It has 300mw @32 ohms. The Fiio X5ii has 245mw, and the iBasso DX80 has 260mw. However, I personally prefer the MD over the other two. The Fiio Xie is rock solid in reference to the Firmware, as is the Shanling M5, where as the iBasso DX80 still is a hit or miss. Some unit have no issues whatsoever, then others have multiple issues. So be cautious with them. I love the DX80 for the Touchscreen, where as the M5 I love for pretty much everything else a player can do. Sorry to throw another Dap in the mix, as it is very difficult to choose, hence why I own multiple Daps.. Lol.. And still want more to add to the collection.. More due to wanting to own them as a hobby/collector. Than owning them out of necessity.

You guys got anything to add in this regard In the wacky year of 2017?

Im looking at a mojo stack and need to pick a dap in the 0-500 range. A 80/20 build, it seems that the chord mojo is the dac/amp to go with in a bang for buck mid-semi hifi build. I saw someone claiming that the onkyo dp-x1 does the job better than a mojo, which I, vicariously call bs on, considering someone else has said some people with an ak380 use it with a mojo. So here I am, looking for the gear which makes people defecate hardened rectangular cement once they try it, because the value for the money ratio is that good, which seems to be the case for venture electronics monk plus for example. Finally I've heard that dx80 has similarities to the ak240 in terms of presentation and tuning, circuitry(?), not bad considering the price delta.

If there is nothing to add in terms of product, then what are further reasons of going / not going with the dx80 and the aforementioned daps? And is it a worse idea to go for a used dx80 or new, considering the inconsistencies @sledgeharvy mentioned pertaining into the dx80?

Maybe someone with a lot of experience in trading here can say whether or not it's generally not worth the risk, purchasing used equipment and preferably quantify and specify the risk(s).

May 13, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #5 of 8
You guys got anything to add in this regard In the wacky year of 2017?

Im looking at a mojo stack and need to pick a dap in the 0-500 range. A 80/20 build, it seems that the chord mojo is the dac/amp to go with in a bang for buck mid-semi hifi build. I saw someone claiming that the onkyo dp-x1 does the job better than a mojo, which I, vicariously call bs on, considering someone else has said some people with an ak380 use it with a mojo. So here I am, looking for the gear which makes people defecate hardened rectangular cement once they try it, because the value for the money ratio is that good, which seems to be the case for venture electronics monk plus for example. Finally I've heard that dx80 has similarities to the ak240 in terms of presentation and tuning, circuitry(?), not bad considering the price delta.

If there is nothing to add in terms of product, then what are further reasons of going / not going with the dx80 and the aforementioned daps? And is it a worse idea to go for a used dx80 or new, considering the inconsistencies @sledgeharvy mentioned pertaining into the dx80?

Maybe someone with a lot of experience in trading here can say whether or not it's generally not worth the risk, purchasing used equipment and preferably quantify and specify the risk(s).

While I don't have a lot of experience, I did just pick up a used dx80 off ebay for $200. It was a prime example of a used unit, not a mark or scratch on it and it even came with a dignis leather case. It has performed flawlessly thus far (knock on wood), not a single issue and it sounds fantastic. If I would have paid full price, there would be a lot more daps in competition with the dx80.

May 13, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 8
After buying a pair of Audioquest Nighthawks, I've come to realize that the DX80 is a very good unit, especially if using the new, well, new'ish firmware 1.5.8. It is very solid, plenty of power, and the flaws have slowly been ironed out by the software developers at iBasso. Due to the CS4398's, yes it is more grainy than the smoother AK4490, but depending on what headphones or IEMs you use, it may even each other out. As if you use dark headphones with the M5, it can seem to be extra dark. But after your ears have time to adjust and become accustomed to the sound signature.. you will be rewarded with a certain overall clarity and detail level similar to what is experienced with the Sony XBA-4.
Here recently, the Shanling UP and M2s have been released. Each very good at what they do, not to mention the Dragonfly Black and Red variants. All of which are excellent. It really depends on what you need to match your earphones on hand. If you care to share what equipment you own perhaps we can assist you better, as there never is a "Best of all players" It's simply best sound for the price bracket.. And even that is filled with hype and bias depending on the person's experience with higher end products and sound signature bias tendencies.
I know this probably doesn't help.. but there really is a lot of fantastic gear for the money.

May 14, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 8
Looking for a DAP to pair with the HUGO2 as a transport only as the DAC is just HUGO2. Which one has the best, fastest user interface, touch screen, with SD card and Wifi/ blue tooth to permit streaming with TIDAL either on Wifi direct or via iPhone. Ideally under $500? Don't care about sound quality of built in DAC
THANKS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back