Fiio x5 vs HRT microstreamer + ipod touch
Nov 26, 2014 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

trenino

New Head-Fier
I am considering a more portable solution to my current simple setup, which is lossless music streamed to  iPad from Seagate wireless. This combination has served me well when travelling but need something more portable and preferably pocket-able.

I initially thought of getting the iPod classic 160gb( + the HRT microstreamer which I am thinking oaf purchasing for a long time now) , but realised that it is discontinued. After a couple of days research I ended up with some candidates, namely the fiio x1, x3 and x5.  Apparently they are all good but the x5 is *much* better than the other two. So i thought, ok since I am going to make a new purchase, i could upgrade the SQ anyway.

The Fiio x3 and x5 sounded good options, as I could use them with my macbook as DACs to improve sound at home (but not with iPad, which is my travel companion).

So, after some thinking and considering the prices I was wondering if it would make sense to just buy an iPod touch and the HRT micro streamer.  In this way, I could use it
1. as a pocketable solution:  the iPod touch + the seagate (or another smaller ssd wireless drive) + the microstreamer.
2. as a travel solution (when size is not such a problem): the iPad + the seagate + the microstreamer.
3. as a desktop solution: macbook + microstreamer.

From what I have read, solutions 2 and 3 would work  fine and I had in mind at some point to upgrade my sound with the hrt, but since it all started as I wanted to get closer to my music, and carry it with less hassle, everywhere, I was wondering how solution number 1 would rate against the purchase of the Fiio X5, in terms of SQ and user experience which i believe is important for a portable device.

Most reviews say that the user interface of the fiio x5 leaves a lot to be desired and the price would climb another $200 because of the need for memory cards. So the total would be around $500.  Saying that, it would not  easily reach the capacity of my 1tb seagate (out of which I am using 200gb for my lossless music). In this way I would have to sacrifice the use of the iPad as a travel companion but maybe the iPod touch would be ok for that. 

The headphones I use are Sennheiser hd25-1  and Soundmagic E10s.

To recap in short:  is the fiio x5 a much better solution compared to a  iPod touch 16gb (=cheap) + wireless drive + het microstreamer. Taking into consideration BOTH image quality and user interface /usability ?

Many thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back