fiio x5 v iriver h340 - sound quality
Oct 18, 2014 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

thecrow

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone

new to posting here but have used this forum in viewing opinions before ( i dare say like most newbies here)

i'm looking for views on two different portable players - the new fiio x5 and the old iriver h340

i have an old iriver with a new battery that is very dear to my heart
i have also read lots of reviews on the x5 which are mostly quite positive too

however i have not been able to find a comparison between the two

i have been contemplating buying a fiio x5 however i'm now thinking i should just change the hdd in the iriver h340 to a toshiba 240gb instead

what are the views here re how these 2 options compare? 

i'm no tech wiz but i believe changing the hdd on the iriver is pretty basic - i had no dramas changing the battery whilst following instructions i found

i'll also be listening to my portable music with audio technica ath m50x's i just bought which i have found quite solid for the price ($200)

any views of personal experience of these 2 or comparisons that you have heard about are much welcomed

can i also ask.......(or confirm) i did do the right thing by selling the ipod classic i bough just the other month, didn't I? sure the UI might be more versatile but the sound improvement is worth the trade isn't it..... :)

cheers
Peter t

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 3
Stay with H340, for me X5 isn't worth this money.
I didn't compare this players on the same time, but iriver have better analog sound, when fiio is flat and you don't listen music with fun :wink:
Technically there are similar.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 3
I might be able to get a chance to listen to the x5. I hope. I certainly like my h340. My recent internet searches had got me wondering if I can take it to the next level within a budget

I was thinking about replacing the hard drive in the iriver but I am now worried I might not enjoy the rockbox UI and it might not be that easy as there have been different people in forums that have problems getting it going. I certainly don't want the h340 to stop.

Re the x5 I don't mind it being on the flatter side if it's not TOO flat. It's the clarity, depth and openess that excited me in this idea. (I hope that doesn't doubd contradictory). As I'm not looking for accentuated bass or anything like that. My new headphones -ath m50x -add a bit of colour I have found in that regard. Not perfect but nice and solid at the price

Some reviews I have read on the x5 suggest they are special on the lossless files but so so on lossy files. Did you play around with various file types?

I was also thinking, yes I've caught that bug, on looking at a portable amp (first time) if that heightens the music. Started looking at the fiio range like the e12 that is usually discussed with the x5. Maybe that's not needed. I'm just looking for more info and ideas in this search

Even though I've been thinking about improving my portable set up for a while what pushed me to buy the m50x which had caused me to seriously look at the x5 was me simply looking for replacement earpads for my in ear koss headphones that were never that expensive but always enjoyed. I wouldn't be surprised if staying with the h340 is a better option than going to the x5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back