FiiO X5 Bugs and feature suggestions
Jan 10, 2015 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Michael-J

New Head-Fier
HELLO JOE BLOGGS AND FIIO DEVELOPERS! Thank you for releasing new firmwares for Fiio X5! Fiio is getting better and better. I have carefully tested new X5 FW2.4 firmware and found many bugs and interface inaccuracy. I hope it’s not a problem for you to fix all of them. I also have some suggestions how to make X5 even better. Joe, can you please comment my suggestions?

Bugs I’ve found in X5 FW2.4:
1. When I open folder with cue sheet and wav file it doesn’t show the album title from cue sheet on main display. Instead it shows “Unknown album”. When I open folder with cue sheet and flac file it doesn’t show the album title from cue sheet on main display. Instead it shows album title from flac file. I suggest when playing cue sheets albums (wav, flac, ape) to always show the album title from cue sheet. The same for track title and performer – always show it from cue sheet. If there is no track performer, show album performer from cue sheet. If there is no track title in cue file, show track number (Track 01, Track 02, Track 03). In FW2.4 if there is no track title in cue file it shows album title from cue sheet instead.

2. When I open folder with file in format wav (176.4 kHz / 24 bit, file size is 2.5 Gb) it doesn’t play and says “File format not supported”. I have a lot of live recordings that are larger than 2 Gb and they all doesn’t play.

3. When I play some flac albums in folder (bitrate 1100, compression 8) and change to next track it plays immediately but change the name of the track and file info too slowly, about 1-2 seconds (For example album “Dave Koz – Hello Tomorrow / 44.1 kHz 16 bit Flac)

4. When I play folder with cue sheet something is wrong when FiiO X5 change to next track. The first second of each track stutters. I’ve tested it on every album and its very annoying. On FW2.2 everything is ok.

Cosmetical enhancements:

5. In System settings - About X5 – “TF card 1 total capacity: 29.5 G” it’s better to change  to “TF card 1 total capacity: 29.5 Gb”. The other lines change the same way

6. In System settings - About X5 – “Total no. of songs: 1500songs” it’s better to change  to “Total number of songs: 1500” or “Total number of songs: 1500 songs” (with space after number 1500)

7. In System settings – Key-lock settings – “Lockscreen 1” there is no indent at the left side. I suggest to rename it to “Mode 1”, “Mode 2”, “Mode 3” to fit them nice

8. In System settings – USB mode “Storage / DAC” I suggest to align to right word “Storage” without space after it, like the “>” aligned to right to make it look better. The same in “Play settings – Resume mode – Last position”, “Power-on volume – Last setting”, make it all aligned to right without space at the right

9. On the main display I suggest to add a space between 44.1, kHz, / , 16 in “44.1 kHz / 16 bit”

10. I suggest adding a folder icon “Play through folders” in shortcuts and in “Play settings – Play mode” instead of a menu item “Play through folders - On/Off”.

When I want to “repeat only one folder” or “play one folder and stop” I have to change Play mode and after that go to “Play settings” and switch off “Play through folders”. It’s very inconvenient. It’s better to change play mode in shortcuts or in “Play settings – Play mode”

11. When I open folder with cue sheet it show track numbers this way: “Track01.WAVE”, “Track01.WAVE”, “Track01.WAVE”… even if the music file is in Flac or Ape format. It always shows “.WAVE”. I suggest to show the extension of original file format (Track01.wav, Track01.flac, Track01.ape). And to better understand that I opened folder with cue sheet I suggest to change the “folder icon / folder name” at the top of the list to “cue sheet icon / folder name”

12. When I open folder, then playlist in it, the font changes to small. It looks not so good. I suggest to open playlist the same way like it is a folder, but change a “folder icon / folder name” at the top of list to “playlist icon / playlist name”

13. In “Play settings – File name display – Track name display” I suggest to change to “Track title display – Track title / File name”

14. I suggest to rename “EQ:OFF” to “EQ:Off” at the top and in EQ menu. So it will look the same way like “EQ:Rock”, “EQ:Jazz”…

15. When I go “Play by category – Artist – All songs” it sorts and play all tracks by the artist alphabetically. I suggest to sort them in original album order so that it plays first album in original order, then second album and so on. Now it’s very inconvenient because if I have 5 albums with track named “01. Track name 1”, “02. Track name 2”, “03. Track name 3”, “04. Track name 4” and play All albums by Artist it always play first track of each album, then second track of each album and so on. It’s not interesting to listen in such order. Maybe it’s better to have an option in menu “Play all albums by artist – Album order / Alphabetical order”

Wishes to improve FiiO X5:

16. It will be very useful if you make equalizer work for any files 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz. Now it only works for 44.1 kHz.

17. It will be very useful if you make native DSD playback. Now when I play dsd files FiiO X5 always converts them to 88.4 kHz and in my opinion it sounds not so good as the same album converted on computer from DSD to PCM 176.4 kHz and played on FiiO X5. From digital output it would be nice to have a choice in menu to output in “DSD over PCM format”, or in converted to 176.4 kHz.

18. It will be very useful if you add an option in menu “Fast Roll-Off / Slow Roll-Off” to change digital filter mode of PCM1792. The same option has added the iBasso to DX90, and I very like to listen on DX90 in “Slow Roll-Off mode” most of the classical and jazz music. For now FiiO X5 only work in default PCM1792 “Fast Roll-Off digital filter mode” and doesn’t have an option to change it

19. In Play settings I suggest to add an option “Album art – On/Off” to enable or disable showing album art

20. In “Play settings” I suggest to add an option “Playlists – On/Off” to enable or disable showing playlists in folders

21. It will be very useful if you add in menu an option “Show Battery in percent – On / Off”.

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 7
  HELLO JOE BLOGGS AND FIIO DEVELOPERS! Thank you for releasing new firmwares for Fiio X5! Fiio is getting better and better. I have carefully tested new X5 FW2.4 firmware and found many bugs and interface inaccuracy. I hope it’s not a problem for you to fix all of them. I also have some suggestions how to make X5 even better. Joe, can you please comment my suggestions?

Bugs I’ve found in X5 FW2.4:
1. When I open folder with cue sheet and wav file it doesn’t show the album title from cue sheet on main display. Instead it shows “Unknown album”. When I open folder with cue sheet and flac file it doesn’t show the album title from cue sheet on main display. Instead it shows album title from flac file. I suggest when playing cue sheets albums (wav, flac, ape) to always show the album title from cue sheet. The same for track title and performer – always show it from cue sheet. If there is no track performer, show album performer from cue sheet. If there is no track title in cue file, show track number (Track 01, Track 02, Track 03). In FW2.4 if there is no track title in cue file it shows album title from cue sheet instead.

2. When I open folder with file in format wav (176.4 kHz / 24 bit, file size is 2.5 Gb) it doesn’t play and says “File format not supported”. I have a lot of live recordings that are larger than 2 Gb and they all doesn’t play.

3. When I play some flac albums in folder (bitrate 1100, compression 8) and change to next track it plays immediately but change the name of the track and file info too slowly, about 1-2 seconds (For example album “Dave Koz – Hello Tomorrow / 44.1 kHz 16 bit Flac)

4. When I play folder with cue sheet something is wrong when FiiO X5 change to next track. The first second of each track stutters. I’ve tested it on every album and its very annoying. On FW2.2 everything is ok.

Cosmetical enhancements:

5. In System settings - About X5 – “TF card 1 total capacity: 29.5 G” it’s better to change  to “TF card 1 total capacity: 29.5 Gb”. The other lines change the same way

6. In System settings - About X5 – “Total no. of songs: 1500songs” it’s better to change  to “Total number of songs: 1500” or “Total number of songs: 1500 songs” (with space after number 1500)

7. In System settings – Key-lock settings – “Lockscreen 1” there is no indent at the left side. I suggest to rename it to “Mode 1”, “Mode 2”, “Mode 3” to fit them nice

8. In System settings – USB mode “Storage / DAC” I suggest to align to right word “Storage” without space after it, like the “>” aligned to right to make it look better. The same in “Play settings – Resume mode – Last position”, “Power-on volume – Last setting”, make it all aligned to right without space at the right

9. On the main display I suggest to add a space between 44.1, kHz, / , 16 in “44.1 kHz / 16 bit”

10. I suggest adding a folder icon “Play through folders” in shortcuts and in “Play settings – Play mode” instead of a menu item “Play through folders - On/Off”.

When I want to “repeat only one folder” or “play one folder and stop” I have to change Play mode and after that go to “Play settings” and switch off “Play through folders”. It’s very inconvenient. It’s better to change play mode in shortcuts or in “Play settings – Play mode”

11. When I open folder with cue sheet it show track numbers this way: “Track01.WAVE”, “Track01.WAVE”, “Track01.WAVE”… even if the music file is in Flac or Ape format. It always shows “.WAVE”. I suggest to show the extension of original file format (Track01.wav, Track01.flac, Track01.ape). And to better understand that I opened folder with cue sheet I suggest to change the “folder icon / folder name” at the top of the list to “cue sheet icon / folder name”

12. When I open folder, then playlist in it, the font changes to small. It looks not so good. I suggest to open playlist the same way like it is a folder, but change a “folder icon / folder name” at the top of list to “playlist icon / playlist name”

13. In “Play settings – File name display – Track name display” I suggest to change to “Track title display – Track title / File name”

14. I suggest to rename “EQ:OFF” to “EQ:Off” at the top and in EQ menu. So it will look the same way like “EQ:Rock”, “EQ:Jazz”…

15. When I go “Play by category – Artist – All songs” it sorts and play all tracks by the artist alphabetically. I suggest to sort them in original album order so that it plays first album in original order, then second album and so on. Now it’s very inconvenient because if I have 5 albums with track named “01. Track name 1”, “02. Track name 2”, “03. Track name 3”, “04. Track name 4” and play All albums by Artist it always play first track of each album, then second track of each album and so on. It’s not interesting to listen in such order. Maybe it’s better to have an option in menu “Play all albums by artist – Album order / Alphabetical order”

Wishes to improve FiiO X5:

16. It will be very useful if you make equalizer work for any files 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz. Now it only works for 44.1 kHz.

17. It will be very useful if you make native DSD playback. Now when I play dsd files FiiO X5 always converts them to 88.4 kHz and in my opinion it sounds not so good as the same album converted on computer from DSD to PCM 176.4 kHz and played on FiiO X5. From digital output it would be nice to have a choice in menu to output in “DSD over PCM format”, or in converted to 176.4 kHz.

18. It will be very useful if you add an option in menu “Fast Roll-Off / Slow Roll-Off” to change digital filter mode of PCM1792. The same option has added the iBasso to DX90, and I very like to listen on DX90 in “Slow Roll-Off mode” most of the classical and jazz music. For now FiiO X5 only work in default PCM1792 “Fast Roll-Off digital filter mode” and doesn’t have an option to change it

19. In Play settings I suggest to add an option “Album art – On/Off” to enable or disable showing album art

20. In “Play settings” I suggest to add an option “Playlists – On/Off” to enable or disable showing playlists in folders

21. It will be very useful if you add in menu an option “Show Battery in percent – On / Off”.

Has anyone else tested the bugs 1,2,3 and especially 4 ? It's very annoing.

Please someone test these bugs and confirm so Fiio can fix them

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 7

Has anyone else tested the bugs 1,2,3 and especially 4 ? It's very annoing.

Please someone test these bugs and confirm so Fiio can fix them

You may be able to use files >2GB if you use exFAT. FAT32 originally had a 2GB limit, and I think that the X3 (and probably the X5, too) have this limit even though FAT32 can now support up to 4GB. Note that I haven't tried this as I don't have any files that size, but it may be worth a try for you.

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 7
[...]
[...]

This is an old running one, since the original firmware I believe. I think it may have to do something with scanning big files for metadata, which takes a while.

As for feature suggestions, line-out volume control please. Max volume makes amplifiers too loud for IEMs.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Hello Michael-J

I've forwarded your comprehensive review of our firmware to FiiO for review, so here's to hoping that some of these issues will be addressed in the future :xf_eek:

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 15, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 7
I am really disappointed by the Fiio X5.  I did not do sufficient research and missed that there is no way to output DSD files at full resolution.  I am pretty sure a user in one of the threads here said they were doing it, so I stopped and ordered one (which arrived today), but that user probably did not notice that the DSD files are massively down sampled to 88.1 and sound bad to me.  I was hoping to use the X5 as a transport for a Hugo and an IFi DSD Micro.  If the X5 could output DSD, it would be the best portable transport ever because sd micro is moving to 200gb cards, and they will work in the X5 according to Sandisk.  This is incredible storage - 400MB portable.  WOW!!!

PLEASE FIIO.......PLEASE PLEASE ENABLE DSD OUTPUT EITHER VIA SPDIF OR OUTPUT VIA USB (using DoP method).

Can anyone advise whether this is even possible??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back