FiiO X5 3rd gen + Shure SE425. How good is that?
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Alexshvd

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

I decided to buy FiiO X5 iii, and chose these in-ears.

I prefer Classic Rock, Synthwave, Deep House, Lounge, Indie music. I little bit worry about the low bass on the SE425.

Maybe you can suggest something else for the same or lower price? Thank you!

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 7
I decided to buy FiiO X5 iii, and chose these in-ears.

I prefer Classic Rock, Synthwave, Deep House, Lounge, Indie music. I little bit worry about the low bass on the SE425.

SE425 has considerably improved bass over the SE420, so while it's far off from being the IEM equivalent of a black Escalade driving down da hood blasting 4x1000watt subwoofaz to let them boyz in da hood know they better look out their windows and marvel at your 24in spinnerz, it's not exactly anything like the old Sound Magic E10 either. Still, YMMV, depending on how much closer you'd want to be to that Escalade.

Maybe you can suggest something else for the same or lower price? Thank you!

Fender FXA2

Apr 3, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 7
That's funny! I don't really want the loud hard bass, but just a good enough to enjoy electronic music.
Thank you!

BTW I use the Aurisonics ASG-1.3 (from the old Aurisonics line using the old 15mm dynamic drivers before the new line based on the 9mm drivers that were retained under Fender ownership) as my "reference" portable and the KZ ZST as my beater IEM. I EQ both headphones with Neutron Music Player for locally stored FLAC and Neutralizer for Spotify (streaming and locally stored downloads) and YouTube.

Out of the box the ASG-1.3 while having a smoother graph is still a lot stronger below 1000hz, which skews the overall balance (it's otherwise smooth on either side of it though), while the ZST has less depth on the bass (not just a higher -3dB roll off but the plateau is not as wide as the Aurisonics') and has a very shouty midrange. EQ adjustments basically have them sounding very similar albeit the bass is cleaner and deeper from the ASG-1.3, partly also due to the very high sensitivity (though that takes a little hit since I trim everything from 1200hz down).

I mostly have metal on FLAC and Spotify but both headphones on EQ and the ASG-1.3 without EQ does well enough on music like the ones below, ie, has loud enough bass (shouty upper midrange and lower treble on the ZST without EQ gets in the way though). If anything the ASG-1.3 without EQ has too much bass. FXA2 isn't as skewed as that though it has slight bit of a treble spike (can't remember what frequency though, but otherwise it's not widely perceived as bright much less grating).

Apr 3, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 7
I just got the MEE Audio M7 Pro they are a bit cheaper than you are looking to spend but I was blown away but the tight controlled deep base you get when you find the correct eartip size for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back