Fiio X5 (1st gen) - coaxial out?
May 1, 2017 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

muzikT

New Head-Fier
Hi I actually thought there was a Fiio X5 thread but can't find it anymore. Yup, I still own and use the first gen X5 device - would love to upgrade but just don't have the cash. Anyway, in my opinion it's still a great sounding device, and it's used OFTEN. My question is with the 3.5mm coax output. Does it make a big difference in sound quality to connect to my receiver using this connection versus just using the headphone output into a standard R/L RCA input on my receiver? To my knowledge, the coaxial adapter was not included with my X5 device when I purchased it.

Cheers!

May 29, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 5
The included 3.5 mm adapter is not any good. I got Forza Audioworks to make me one. Tell Matthew what you want. He's made it before. 69 Euros when I got it a year ago.
How good depends on your DAC. I use the coax out to an iFi micro idsd and it is an awesome portable setup. Much superior to using the headphone out. You use an external DAC and not the so-so one in the X5.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Does anyone know where to buy the cable to connect FiiO X5 1st generation (serving as transport) to Micro iDSD BL, i.e. 3.5mm male to coaxial male cable? I googled it without success.

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 5
I wonder if I can output dsd64 through coax into my Chord Mojo without converting it to PCM?
Sadly no i think.

Fiio X5 the 1 gen does not support native DSD actually. First they support native DSD from Fiio X5 2gen on. It gets downsampled 48khz with the 1 gen. I tried as well.

Best quality from this DAP (X5 1 gen) you can get if convert files the DSD files to 32bit WAV files and then play it so. It does get a lot less battery life though doing this, as it reads a lot more from the memory cards to play the files. Keep in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back