Fiio x3ii vs x1? (or any other DAP 0-270USD)
May 18, 2015 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vontokkerths

100+ Head-Fier
English is not my first language, I hope I did well. Okay so after giving it a lot of thought if i should buy an android phone as a dap (I don't like how they alter the sound via software as my galaxy s6 which sounds horrible, not exaggerating) I've come to the conclusion to use my phone/android tablet with google music on my daily (and long) commute to college because I dont have an awesome car stereo, it does okay for listening and honestly in a car im not looking for detailed sound (Might be in some future) but as for now im looking to buy something to use in college, running, house, etc as this will be my primary rig. I've read a lot about the Fiio x3ii and the Fiio x1 but im wondering if the 100$ more makes a big difference.. coming from phones this will be my first proper DAP. For the same money I could have an x1 with E11K + HS12 stacking kit + 64GB SD card.. and with the x3ii I could have just the unit and the sd card, my budget fot a DAP is 250$ I CAN go for more than that but just a couple bucks, not something like 1200$ for an astell&kern, lol. This puts the question, is there a huge noticeable difference between these two feature-wise and sound-wise? Do you have any other recommendation in mind (I've read a lot about the ibasso dx50 which is around 260$ with sd card and a couple of things on amazon). Does anyone have the two DAPs so could have a side by side comparison? If someone knows the link to a similar post which someone compares the two that could help a lot! :)

Headphones that will be used with said DAP:
ATH-M50
Shure SE215
Gr07 (looking to buy one or ATH-IM02)

Music:
Classic metal (Such as Black Sabbath)
Symphonical metal (Epica, nightwish, eluveitie, etc)
Dubstep
Rock
A little Indie
Electronic pop
Alternative Rock

May 18, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Buy the FiiO X1 (skip on the E11K), leaves a lot leftover in your audio budget for headphones.
Where are you located?

May 19, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 8
Agreed. Buy the X1 by itself. You would get maybe a bit of SQ increase going to the X3 because it's better electronics overall, but the X1 has enough power to drive your current headphones (which is why you don't need the extra power of the E11K). There is a good chance you might not find the difference significant, and as a college student I'm sure you could definitely find some other way to spend your money :)

That is, unless you are getting into the headphone hobby and plan on buying more headphones in the future that might be more difficult to drive. Then the X3 would make sense.

Now if you are determined to have extra amplification, keep in mind that it's much more user friendly to have one single DAP in your pocket than to have a DAP and a headphone amp strapped together with a cable connecting them. I have an E12. I never use it like that with my DAP (iBasso DX50) or my smart phone.

May 19, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 8
I have the X1 and it's a decent player, but it's got it's quirks.  The biggest one is probably the scroll wheel.  It's very "touchy".  Very, very small movements cause it to move on screen.  This makes selecting tracks difficult sometimes.  The center click button is also a little off.  Pressing it sometimes makes the wheel move and does unexpected things.

Finally, the interface is a little confusing.  It takes quite a bit of playing with it to get the idea.  It's not really bad, it's just not very elegant.  It's nothing like an Apple product for example.

For the money, it's hard to argue with it, but it's not a perfect product by any means.  I would probably buy something better made next time.  I'm reasonably happy with it, but I'd like something better eventually.

Just an opinion for you to consider.

Brian.

May 19, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 8
The X1 is an excellent choice.  I own one and love it.  I have it paired with a Topping NX1 amp and Senn HD558.  The X1 will run what you have listed without any issues.  I've heard the complaints about the scroll wheel, but personally have never had any problems with mine.  The UI is very simple IMO.  All the FiiO DAPs appear to be going to the same UI.  You gain nothing capacity wise, but do gain a DAC, a little more output, and maybe better SQ with the X3II. 

May 19, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Agreed. Buy the X1 by itself. You would get maybe a bit of SQ increase going to the X3 because it's better electronics overall, but the X1 has enough power to drive your current headphones (which is why you don't need the extra power of the E11K). There is a good chance you might not find the difference significant, and as a college student I'm sure you could definitely find some other way to spend your money :)

That is, unless you are getting into the headphone hobby and plan on buying more headphones in the future that might be more difficult to drive. Then the X3 would make sense.

Now if you are determined to have extra amplification, keep in mind that it's much more user friendly to have one single DAP in your pocket than to have a DAP and a headphone amp strapped together with a cable connecting them. I have an E12. I never use it like that with my DAP (iBasso DX50) or my smart phone.
Thanks a lot for the recommendation! :) I am an audio enthusiasts(i wouldn't say audiophile because I got a lot to learn) and I think I'll buy headphones in the future but nothing too crazy. The hardest cans I want would be like 250 ohm. Makes sense to go with the x1!

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Hi guys, I am checking this thread, and it´s closer to questions I wish to be answered. I have an IPOD classic 6th gen, which I use to use with a Fiio Alpen 17k. I have several headphones: HIFIMAN He 400, Denon HP700, Soundmagic E30 and I recently have acquired a Beyers dt770 250 ohms. I have been mostly satisfied with my IPOD + Fiio E17K, But there is one thing I not like too much, and it is the fact that I have to convert the FLAC files onto ALAC or AAC and transfer through the itunes to put on mi ipod. I get used into itunes, but I really like not to much. That said, I wish to gain in SQ, so I am thinking in buy a Fiio player, but I think I have two options: buy an X1 and K5 to my home (I could use both, E17k and X1), or buy an X3 (more or less this two options  has the same price). I don´t know if there is some benefit in SQ if I buy k5, but I think it is mandatory if I buy an x1 to listen with my cans (beyer and Hifiman). Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back