Fiio X3ii vs Sony NWZ-A15/A17 - A Comparison
Mar 14, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #106 of 116
  Neil,

In order to get stereo sound out of my Technics amp/receiver, I assume i will need a RCA Video Audio Splitter Adapter (RCA Female to 2 RCA Female), then 2 cables to my amp, one for right, one for left, correct?

Just one of these to get the audio from the X5 to your amp (Connent to your AUX IN or CD in - select the sourec on the amp and you be hearing you dap on your speaker.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/231997038935?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=35352091421&rlsatarget=pla-278386774931&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1006986&device=c&campaignid=738466455&crdt=0

Hope this helps

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #107 of 116
  Just one of these to get the audio from the X5 to your amp (Connent to your AUX IN or CD in - select the sourec on the amp and you be hearing you dap on your speaker.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/231997038935?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=35352091421&rlsatarget=pla-278386774931&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1006986&device=c&campaignid=738466455&crdt=0

Hope this helps

Hi Neil,

Yes, this helps. I assume that that a RCA splitter (RCA Female to 2 RCA Female) would do the same thing, when connected to the cable supplied by Fiio? Of course, that is adding one more component:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010RHAGBI/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I do have these 2 sets of cables on hand. Each 3.5 mm jack has different connectors, but if one matches the cable with the Fiio, that may be the right one. I don't think that it matters that one is A/V, do you?

I have read somewhere  on this forum that someone else had used a cable like this, didn't have the proper 3.5MM plug for the Fiio. I need to take a good look at it, and be sure that I get something that has the same connectors on he 3.5 mm plug.

Do you know if a digital audio analog converter comes into play at all?
https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS/ref=sr_1_2?srs=2529423011&ie=UTF8&qid=1489497400&sr=8-2&keywords=coax

Brought my old amp and speakers in from the garage to warm up (24 F degrees out there/ -4 C). The X5 and micro SD card is out for delivery to my house. Can't wait to get my hands on my new toy!

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #108 of 116
I think I am set already. My A/V cable has the same connectors as the X5 cable. I don't think it matters that there is the video connector, it just won't be used. I'll find out soon enough, once the X5 warms up, and I can use it (it is really cold, and I don't want power sent to it until it gets to room temp).

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #109 of 116
  I think I am set already. My A/V cable has the same connectors as the X5 cable. I don't think it matters that there is the video connector, it just won't be used. I'll find out soon enough, once the X5 warms up, and I can use it (it is really cold, and I don't want power sent to it until it gets to room temp).

OK. The cable that comes with the X5 is the Coaxial digital audio output (SPDIF) it should have a single RCA jack at one end. You wont need this cable, unless you stereo kit has SPDIF capability. So the cable you've got that will work is the one on the right in your previous message. In fact you can use both - you don't use the yellow RCA jack on the A/V cable.
I hope that helps.
Don't worry about the temperature on the X5. The only thing you need to worry about is letting your stereo kit warm up and dry out a bit if it has been stored in a non heated place. The X5 operating temperature range should from 3C upto 60C. So not an issue.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #110 of 116

OK. The cable that comes with the X5 is the Coaxial digital audio output (SPDIF) it should have a single RCA jack at one end. You wont need this cable, unless you stereo kit has SPDIF capability. So the cable you've got that will work is the one on the right in your previous message. In fact you can use both - you don't use the yellow RCA jack on the A/V cable.
I hope that helps.
Don't worry about the temperature on the X5. The only thing you need to worry about is letting your stereo kit warm up and dry out a bit if it has been stored in a non heated place. The X5 operating temperature range should from 3C upto 60C. So not an issue.

The last shot is of the cable that came with the X5, and my A/V cable. Looking at the Fiio FAQ, I want to have a 3 mm jack with the same pinout. If the AV cable doesn't work, I will find a new cable with the proper pinout.
http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40478&page=1&extra=#pid107286

I am making another assumption that is is safe to charge via the wall outlet, like you do with a iPhone, using the USB > electric outlet adapter. Am I correct? The manual specifies that a DC 5V 2A charger should be used. This confuses me. I would rather charge via DC current, than the USB port on my laptop.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #111 of 116
@kapple

I also recommend you getting at least a 4400maH USB Battery. Particularly if you are using your X5 away from base. It'll give you another 20-30 hours before all need recharging.

When i'm out and about my 8800maH USB battery allows me similars time as above for both my X5 and E12. The A25 does have a very big advantage in battery runtime of nearly 50hours, but that is only playing mp3 format files. When it comes to other types of audio format, the A25 and X5 are close with the A25 only just ahead.

If playing mp3 only on the A25 with my USB battery - i'm looking at a good 100hours + rutime.

At home keep a mains powered USB charger to hand and run the X5 off that while listening to it on your stereo kit. That way like mine it will always ahve a full charge for when you want to take it with you somewhere.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #112 of 116
  The last shot is of the cable that came with the X5, and my A/V cable. Looking at the Fiio FAQ, I want to have a 3 mm jack with the same pinout. If the AV cable doesn't work, I will find a new cable with the proper pinout.
http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40478&page=1&extra=#pid107286

I am making another assumption that is is safe to charge via the wall outlet, like you do with a iPhone, using the USB > electric outlet adapter. Am I correct? The manual specifies that a DC 5V 2A charger should be used. This confuses me. I would rather charge via DC current, than the USB port on my laptop.

On your cables i said would work the Red RCA jack will be the right hand channel. You can test this out yourself. The X5 has a balance control in the Player settings menu - Just set it to the right hand side - plug the red RCA jack into the R channel input on your amp - the sound should only come from the right speaker. If not swap to the other RCA jack.

Yes it is - Also reccomend by Fiio. - A USB port with at least 2amp capabilty. Else it will take ages to charge.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #113 of 116
  @kapple

I also recommend you getting at least a 4400maH USB Battery. Particularly if you are using your X5 away from base. It'll give you another 20-30 hours before all need recharging.

When i'm out and about my 8800maH USB battery allows me similars time as above for both my X5 and E12. The A25 does have a very big advantage in battery runtime of nearly 50hours, but that is only playing mp3 format files. When it comes to other types of audio format, the A25 and X5 are close with the A25 only just ahead.

If playing mp3 only on the A25 with my USB battery - i'm looking at a good 100hours + rutime.

At home keep a mains powered USB charger to hand and run the X5 off that while listening to it on your stereo kit. That way like mine it will always ahve a full charge for when you want to take it with you somewhere.

Good call on the battery! They are cheap enough. If I am out camping, I should be able to get a weekend of play out of the X5 with a 8000maH or greater battery. The playback time was the one thing that nearly turned me away from the X5, and towards the Sony, but with a battery pack, that becomes a moot point.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #114 of 116

On your cables i said would work the Red RCA jack will be the right hand channel. You can test this out yourself. The X5 has a balance control in the Player settings menu - Just set it to the right hand side - plug the red RCA jack into the R channel input on your amp - the sound should only come from the right speaker. If not swap to the other RCA jack.

Yes it is - Also reccomend by Fiio. - A USB port with at least 2amp capabilty. Else it will take ages to charge.

If I am understanding you, I will only get playback from one channel through the amp, left or right, so only one speaker will work. Is this correct?

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #115 of 116
  If I am understanding you, I will only get playback from one channel through the amp, left or right, so only one speaker will work. Is this correct?

Yes you are only determining which RCA connector of the cable is the right hand channel once done you can then plug the other RCA jack into the left input of you amp.
There after you will have both speakers running and playing with the L and R coming from their respective speakers on your stereo. Job done. Just make sure the amp input selector is switched to a different source or the volume is turned before connecting the X5 to the 3.5 mm plug, then switch back to the input the X5 is using. You don't want to turn your speaker cones inside out.

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #116 of 116
HAD AN A15 AND AN X3, AND NOW I'M WAITIN' FOR AN X3 2ND GEN.

THEY MIGHT BE QUITE AFFORDABLE DAPs, BUT IF I HAD THE MONEY, I WOULD GO 4 A GOOD A&K PLAYER OR AT LEAST A PONO.

HAVE A HAPPY SPRING!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back