Fiio X3ii vs Sony NWZ-A15/A17 - A Comparison
Oct 16, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #16 of 116

Could you please expand a bit on that?

Do you notice any coloration or distortion by adjusting the EQ? or is it just the opposite, that you don't notice any audible difference by adjusting the EQ?

When I move from 'No EQ' mode to 'Custom EQ' mode, the volume drops a few decibels, and once I increase the volume up again to match the loudness of 'No EQ' mode, I am not able to tell for certain if the sound has truly changed or if it is just a placebo effect. And that is one of the reasons I did not comment on the EQ, except the Clear Bass setting in Sony's EQ.

The EQ has a minimal effect. For me, personally, its useless. FiiO needs to learn how to implement efficient EQ.

Oct 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 116

The EQ has a minimal effect. For me, personally, its useless. FiiO needs to learn how to implement efficient EQ.

Somthing similar is waht im noting right now on my new walkman NW-ZX100 which has more steps on the EQ (same bands) but from -10 to +10 and ClearBass from 0 to +10

tried pumping clearBass to MAX on my MDR-1R and noted very little change compared to that of my NWZ-A17  keep in mind ZX is still burning in and is far away from the 150 ~ 200h period

Oct 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 116

Yeah I think I would agree, if there is any effect at all, it is very minimal. With the A15 though, increasing or decreasing the EQ by 1 point showed audible difference

Oct 16, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #19 of 116
  Somthing similar is waht im noting right now on my new walkman NW-ZX100 which has more steps on the EQ (same bands) but from -10 to +10 and ClearBass from 0 to +10

tried pumping clearBass to MAX on my MDR-1R and noted very little change compared to that of my NWZ-A17  keep in mind ZX is still burning in and is far away from the 150 ~ 200h period

I hear you. When I increased the Clear Bass setting on the A15 to +2, and tried it on my car speakers through aux-in, it felt like my car had 2 massive sub-woofers (my car has a below-average stock speakers). The overall sound quality was compromised. But the bass was unbelievable. Pushing the Clear Bass to +3, there was so much bass and the bass decay was so long that my car was vibrating like a smartphone. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #21 of 116

I hear you. When I increased the Clear Bass setting on the A15 to +2, and tried it on my car speakers through aux-in, it felt like my car had 2 massive sub-woofers (my car has a below-average stock speakers). The overall sound quality was compromised. But the bass was unbelievable. Pushing the Clear Bass to +3, there was so much bass and the bass decay was so long that my car was vibrating like a smartphone. 

biggrin.gif
 and if it had one more notch ClesrBass +4 LOL you car would have danced like those "jumping" cars

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #22 of 116

biggrin.gif
 and if it had one more notch ClesrBass +4 LOL you car would have danced like those "jumping" cars

Lol. I am really curious as to how the ZX100 sounds based on your posts. Too bad it's close to impossible to try it here in the US.

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #23 of 116

biggrin.gif

Lol. I am really curious as to how the ZX100 sounds based on your posts. Too bad it's close to impossible to try it here in the US.

Same for mexico so i got desperated and decided to import it (I know is risky with wrranty issues etc, being stolen in mexican mail/customs, taxes)... sony mexico sucks i think worse than sony US as they never had any XBA-H nor XBA-A earphones (only xba-1 and the like first gen) nor zx1 forget zx2...

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #24 of 116
I'm curious as to your thoughts regarding using the NW-A10/20 series as a dedicated source to output to a DAC/amp in comparison to using the X3ii solely. Would that option provide a "best of both worlds" so to speak if you have a good DAC/amp to use for better SQ while still being able to retain the benefit of a great UI of the Sony Walkman? Already have a E17k and considering either going strictly with a sole X3ii or a NW-A10/20 + E17k stack for a portable rig. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #25 of 116
The guy whom i sold the fiio x3 gave me a negative review (sold it on a mexican ebay-like site)... he said because i forgot the silicone case and because the DHL dude got lost... What???? what i have to do with the DHL messenger getting lost hahahaha
ph34r.gif
angry_face.gif
  he got it he told me via phone... and all fine accoridng to him

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #26 of 116
  I'm curious as to your thoughts regarding using the NW-A10/20 series as a dedicated source to output to a DAC/amp in comparison to using the X3ii solely. Would that option provide a "best of both worlds" so to speak if you have a good DAC/amp to use for better SQ while still being able to retain the benefit of a great UI of the Sony Walkman? Already have a E17k and considering either going strictly with a sole X3ii or a NW-A10/20 + E17k stack for a portable rig. 

That's a very good question. Before I returned my A15, I did consider such an option, but then, IMO and for my personal use, it defeats the purpose of portability. To this day I miss Sony's D-Pad and the ease of browsing through the library. Coming back to your question;

1. Joe from Fiio did mention in the X3ii thread that the SQ of X3ii and E17 are comparable:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/5955#post_11952161

2. This member is sporting a Oppo HA-2 as a DAC/Amp with the Sony A17. And I have read that, the digital out from the Sony A17 greatly reduces it's battery life down to 8-12hrs. Please do ask in the A10 thread to confirm this.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/728401/sony-nwz-a10-series/5835#post_11989353

So if portability & charging 2 devices is not an issue, then I guess, YES, that would be the best of both worlds. Let us know which direction you are taking.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #27 of 116
  The guy whom i sold the fiio x3 gave me a negative review (sold it on a mexican ebay-like site)... he said because i forgot the silicone case and because the DHL dude got lost... What???? what i have to do with the DHL messenger getting lost hahahaha
ph34r.gif
angry_face.gif
  he got it he told me via phone... and all fine accoridng to him

That's unfortunate. Is it not possible for the buyer to update the review now that he received the silicone case?

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #28 of 116

That's unfortunate. Is it not possible for the buyer to update the review now that he received the silicone case?

He said he wouldn't damn, but fortunately i have 5 good reviews for the other stuff i sold along with it

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #30 of 116

That's a very good question. Before I returned my A15, I did consider such an option, but then, IMO and for my personal use, it defeats the purpose of portability. To this day I miss Sony's D-Pad and the ease of browsing through the library. Coming back to your question;

1. Joe from Fiio did mention in the X3ii thread that the SQ of X3ii and E17 are comparable:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/5955#post_11952161

2. This member is sporting a Oppo HA-2 as a DAC/Amp with the Sony A17. And I have read that, the digital out from the Sony A17 greatly reduces it's battery life down to 8-12hrs. Please do ask in the A10 thread to confirm this.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/728401/sony-nwz-a10-series/5835#post_11989353

So if portability & charging 2 devices is not an issue, then I guess, YES, that would be the best of both worlds. Let us know which direction you are taking.

Thanks for the response. I did not find Joe's comment before but it's good to know that the E17k and X3ii are comparable in SQ. I did see zilch0md's post and messaged him about his setup before making this post. 

Regarding portability, my purpose is more for using on a bus for work commute and at my desk at work.

The dimensions are as follows:
E17k: 4.1 x 2.5 x 0.5" (104.1 x 62.2 x 12.8 mm)
A15 (similar size to A25?): 0.34 inches x 1.72 inches x 4.29 inches

As such, it ends up being roughly a 4.5x2.5 rectangle that's about an inch thick. That is suitable for me as I typically carry a bag for me on the bus. I can see that being thicker than wanted if just looking to dump it in a pocket.

I think for now I'll be ordering a A25 when I'm in HK the next few weeks and then letting you all know how it goes. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back