Fiio X3 vs Cowon J3
Mar 1, 2015 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dsdeiz

Head-Fier
Hi all,

So I have two players that I carry around - Fiio X3 and Cowon J3. I recently bought the Fiio X3 because my Cowon J3 broke although I was able to get my Cowon J3 fixed. I am wondering why the X3 has such high review though. The way I see it, Cowon J3 beats the X3 a lot. It can play HQ music, has longer playing time, not bulky and UI is touch screen.

Can anyone shed some light on why the X3 is highly recommended? Maybe I am missing some of its features that I am unaware of thus resulting to not making use of them. I do use the X3 as a USB DAC though although I don't recognize the difference when I plug it on my laptop vs using the builtin DAC that comes with the laptop (correct me if I'm wrong, laptop already has a DAC right although not much attention is given to it?).

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 9
I think in large part it's about availability. Cowon has always been difficult to buy in the USA, and the prices were high. The proprietary plugs and rather slow processors were also a negative.

In addition, the entire DAP market has been declining for several years. Most people are perfectly happy using their phones & tablets. In a shrinking market, you either need to be a very high-end premium item (A&K) or you need to be cheap & readily available (Fiio).

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 9
Hm, if that's the case, looks like I made a bad investment. Should've bought a high end earphone instead. Nonetheless; no regrets. 
biggrin.gif
 Thanks for the info!

May 23, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 9
hey, would you please tell me about the sound quality of Cowon as compared to a Fiio x1. I have a Fiio x1 and i use it with sony extra bass earphones and i don't like the sound much. Would a Cowon with all it's fabled sound enhancements be better?
I am talking only and only sound quality. 

May 25, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 9
  hey, would you please tell me about the sound quality of Cowon as compared to a Fiio x1. I have a Fiio x1 and i use it with sony extra bass earphones and i don't like the sound much. Would a Cowon with all it's fabled sound enhancements be better?
I am talking only and only sound quality. 

Hi,

Sorry I'm new to all these stuffs. I can't really distinguish the difference of sound qualities between players as I have a crappy earphones. For J3, you might want to ask at http://www.head-fi.org/t/484334/cowon-j3-impressions-thread. I don't have a Fiio X1 as well. I do have the X3 though. YOu can probably ask in their respective threads.

May 25, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 9
I don't know about you, but I have both the J3 & X3 and the X3 easily out does the cowon. The cowon with EQ & BBE can with certain songs just about equal the Fiio, but turn them off and it no comparison. Your HP might not do the X3 justice.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't know about you, but I have both the J3 & X3 and the X3 easily out does the cowon. The cowon with EQ & BBE can with certain songs just about equal the Fiio, but turn them off and it no comparison. Your HP might not do the X3 justice.

The EQ is one reason why the Cowon is so good, not sure why anyone wouldn't use the EQ when you can improve sound to your liking.

Aug 31, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 9
I have a Fiio X1 + E11k + soundmagic e80. I am confused whether I should use the line out or headphone out on Fiio X1 with the mentioned accessories. Line out is supposed to drive speakers and more powerful stereo systems. But I have seen posts where it is stated that Fiio X1 should be amped with e11 on line out. What's the difference between line out and headphone out in the context of amping? Is line out healthy for ears? Is it dangerous? Or is music cleaner or better via line out? Line out vs headphone out earphone? Can anybody shed light on this ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back