Fiio X3 or Ibasso DX50 (What suits to me?)
Jan 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

JRodz

New Head-Fier
Hello. I'm new here and a novice in this world of audiophiles.

I really like to listen to music, is one of my favorite hobbies, so I want to buy a portable audio system which suits me, but I don't have the experience and knowledge to decide objectively. That's why I'm starting this thread. My actual gear is an Iphone 4 + Monoprce 8323 (Beyer velours).

What I'm searching (If it's possible):

- At first, I dont want (and can't) spend more than $300. (DAP (+ Amp) + Headphones). Maybe it's clear that is going to be my only gear.
- I need at least 30gb of space.
- What I listen?: many kinds of music, New Age, Celtic music, Chillout, Metal (Power, Thrash, Heavy), Latin Jazz and Fussion Jazz, Cassical, Hard Rock and Rock and Roll, and a little of Pop and Electronic.
- I'm a novice bass guitar player, and I like the clear sound of it in the music mostly, but of course I like the clear sound of the rest.
- Where I'm going to listen: In my room, that is pretty silent, but I sometimes travel 4 or 5 hours in a bus (where I plan to continue using my Monoprice cans for it's portability and isolation)

I have seen this options:

http://www.mp4nation.net/electronics/portable-digital-audio-players/ibasso-dx50-24-192-hifi-digital-audio-player-takstar-hd2050-32gb-microsd-brainwavz-gypsum-stand-silicone-case-free-fedex-2-day-to-select-destination

http://www.mp4nation.net/electronics/portable-digital-audio-players/fiio-x3-24-192-dap-takstar-pro80-headphones-32gb-microsd-brainwavz-gypsum-stand-leather-case-free-fedex-2-day-to-select-destination

Or this with some cans (Which?): http://www.mp4nation.net/electronics/portable-digital-audio-players/ihifi-760-audiophile-digital-audio-player

I really hope someone help me (objectively) with my issue

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 24
FiiO X3 + Dunu DN-1000 from MP4Nation
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 24
Of course will be good, if I could spend more than $300 but I can't

Thanks anyway 
beerchug.gif

My budget is $300 or less, is there any option to me? (like which I put or other)

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 24
You are going to have to make some concessions if you want to reach the audiophile summit (I am joking here). If I were you, I would approach it in stages by buying a good player first for the amount of money you want to spend max and then when you'll get more money later, go buy headphones or iems. Don't try to cram everything in one session and end up with a sub optimal solution.

For the player and with what you said, the DX50 would be just the right player to buy but again remember that you still have to buy things like the microSD card (a 64GB card costs around 45$ minimum, less for say 32GB) so it will shoot the total costs above your target although you can get the player for around 260$ I believe on iBasso site. I do not know where you live so that will add to the costs.

If you can afford that much, I say stick to the Apple products like a good iPod Classic if you don't mind the scroll wheel or the that latest iPod with touch screen with say at least 32GB and maybe higher if you can afford, go on the Apple site and check their prices. I'll leave it to someone else to come up with other solutions, good luck!

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 24
  You are going to have to make some concessions if you want to reach the audiophile summit (I am joking here). If I were you, I would approach it in stages by buying a good player first for the amount of money you want to spend max and then when you'll get more money later, go buy headphones or iems. Don't try to cram everything in one session and end up with a sub optimal solution.

For the player and with what you said, the DX50 would be just the right player to buy but again remember that you still have to buy things like the microSD card (a 64GB card costs around 45$ minimum, less for say 32GB) so it will shoot the total costs above your target although you can get the player for around 260$ I believe on iBasso site. I do not know where you live so that will add to the costs.

If you can afford that much, I say stick to the Apple products like a good iPod Classic if you don't mind the scroll wheel or the that latest iPod with touch screen with say at least 32GB and maybe higher if you can afford, go on the Apple site and check their prices. I'll leave it to someone else to come up with other solutions, good luck!

Thanks 

Fortunately both promos (X3 n' DX50) in MP4Nation come with 32gb sdcard and are free shipping, which help me to stay in budget, if I get one. 
biggrin.gif

So, you say that I will take the ibasso promo and upgrade headphones later, right?

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 24

+1!

Best suggestion so far.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 24
Do keep in mind that DX50 is more to a "flat and neutral" sound signature as opposed to the warmer sounding X3. If you do not possess a good IEM or you have a bright IEM, it may not be a good pairing with DX50. Makes the phones brighter and bass anaemic. Not good news if you are a bass lover.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 24

+1
do in that way
you'll save money which you will eventually burn in future
buy good dap
next its MATCHING headphones(that pair well with dap)
next portable amp if needed for the headphones
fiio x3 has decent amp.. no need to buy amp if you choose x3... ofcourse this is for headphones that dont have very impedance...
note that x3 has warm sound, dx50 has neutral sound... choose accordingly...
if you choose x3, you have to buy hps that the pair sounds balanced one if you want balanced sound
one more important thing.. dont rush.. listen before buy if the gear is available

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 24
Do keep in mind that DX50 is more to a "flat and neutral" sound signature as opposed to the warmer sounding X3. If you do not possess a good IEM or you have a bright IEM, it may not be a good pairing with DX50. Makes the phones brighter and bass anaemic. Not good news if you are a bass lover.

God, I was hopping you were not going top say that lol. Sorry to me it is not quite neutral, remember the dac that is in there Wolfson 8740, granted they have made a very good implementation going across the frequency range but it is still heavier on the bass, don't forget the many firmware that just pumped the bass right in front of our face. It has settled down with 1.2.8 but it is still heavy albeit more balanced from the LO, definitively not from he HO port.  I'd say if you don't mind its solid energy packed bass, you will love the player. It's a wonderful energetic player with a great WM8740 implementation but not perfect. I still feel it is warmer, I haven't heard the X3 so I can't comment on it but with what I tried, the DX50 is definitively spicy and not neutral, to me ears that is and with my IMHO.
darthsmile.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #11 of 24

The ibasso combo come with Takstar Hi2050 and I have Monoprice 8323.

How will those headphones work for me? (pairing with the DX50)

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #12 of 24

1.2.8 firmware doesn't make it bass anemic. if anything it's a tiny bit boosted (and sounds too damn good)

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 24

+1
do in that way
you'll save money which you will eventually burn in future
buy good dap
next its MATCHING headphones(that pair well with dap)
next portable amp if needed for the headphones
fiio x3 has decent amp.. no need to buy amp if you choose x3... ofcourse this is for headphones that dont have very impedance...
note that x3 has warm sound, dx50 has neutral sound... choose accordingly...
if you choose x3, you have to buy hps that the pair sounds balanced one if you want balanced sound
one more important thing.. dont rush.. listen before buy if the gear is available

DX50 has an Amp too, right?

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 24

God, I was hopping you were not going top say that lol. Sorry to me it is not quite neutral, remember the dac that is in there Wolfson 8740, granted they have made a very good implementation going across the frequency range but it is still heavier on the bass, don't forget the many firmware that just pumped the bass right in front of our face. It has settled down with 1.2.8 but it is still heavy albeit more balanced from the LO, definitively not from he HO port.  I'd say if you don't mind its solid energy packed bass, you will love the player. It's a wonderful energetic player with a great WM8740 implementation but not perfect. I still feel it is warmer, I haven't heard the X3 so I can't comment on it but with what I tried, the DX50 is definitively spicy and not neutral, to me ears that is and with my IMHO.
darthsmile.gif

So, you Know how it will work with the Takstars Hi2050? And Monoprice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back