Fiio X3 Gen3 >> DAC Questions
Jan 8, 2019 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jc123

New Head-Fier
My first post. Name is Jon and I've looked around this forum quite a bit. Lots of great people and info.

I have the Fiio X3 Gen 3 which I get great use out of. I drive a truck for a living and I can easily use the Fiio with the line out on the player. Works well and sounds spectacular compared to SAT, HD Radio and FM radio. I have a large CD collection and all of it is in FLAC.

I also use it at home, hooked up to my Denon 5.1 AVR also using the Line out into the AUX on the back.

When I connect the Fiio to the Denon through the USB which is on the front of the Denon, I can access the menus on the Fiio by viewing it on my TV display. Works great, but when I look at the Fiio display it shows the "connected" icons and no menus. So, no TV, no menus.

I am putting together a second system, Schiit Audio in a spare room. I started out with the Loki EQ, then bought the Sys passive preamp. I see a Vidar amp coming in the mail soon. I will probably get a DAC also to use my computer/FLAC files. My question is, if I want to connect my Fiio to a DAC and use the Fiio as a drive (like my Denon sees it), I don't understand how to navigate to a song if you don't have the menus on the screen display.

Most wouldn't hook a DAP to a DAC, but I wanted to have that option. I'm working my way into "Hi-Fi". I'll probably just run the Fiio into the Vidar with the line out on it. I assume I could do this as the Fiio has a volume control. Or I could put the Loki in between or possibly the Sys if I need another source.

Will the Fiio be recognized as a drive when hooked to a DAC and provide no menus on the display? Any other advice on this Schiit system is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back